visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Backwoods Water Tank & Storage Shed

12346»

Comments

• Hi Ken,
    GREAT JOB on the diorama. You shouldn't say (good bad or indifferent)! This was a fantastic build. This is not just "winable" in a contest but in my opinion a winner in everyway. I learned alot from your comments during the build and everyones input and it is finished! I certainly would be very proud of building a beautiful model that you did.
    Wish I could see this in person. Maybe some day...
    Jim
  • Hey Jim, Thanks so much and nice to hear from you. I'll tell ya, everyones comments and camaraderie on this forum is where it's at. I'm humbled by all the stellar work thats evident and am thrilled to be a part of this group. No chance you'll be able to make the Expo Jim? I'm sure they'll have some type of video documentation of the show. As I mentioned more final pics coming as soon as I get "oil in my barrel" and the weather gets decent! Later, Jim.......
  • Hi Ken,
    I would really like to come to the show but unfortunately my job won't allow me to leave. I am hoping I will get to come in the future. Hopefully, we will have lots of pictures from the show on the forum. It is still not being there but for now it will have to do.
    Jim
  • Jim, hadn't heard back from anyone regarding simulated oil for my oil barrel so I mixed up some Epoxy and a few drops of Polly Oily Black and put some in a syringe with a large bore needle and filled up my barrel. Seemed to work great but it's not totally dry yet.
    I'll be taking a bunch of pictures at the Expo for you et.al.
    Now just waiting for a good day to take some pictures and planning my next build....-K
  • I think the epoxy and the polly oil should look great. Really a great idea and icing on the cake. Thank you in advance for the pictures at the Expo. To let you know and you may already , once the polyscale and floquil colors are not available, lifecolor paints by tenscrom has a nice pack of simulated oil and other fuels that seem to be good and are used by military modelers ( a bit pricey though). I tried the oil color on one oil drum and was very happy with the color. I haven't tried any of the ak interactive colors but have heard nice things about them. I haven't found any vallejo oil colors yet. The vallejo acrylic colors are really nice and were used by Kevin O'neill and I believe Elliot as well ( I believe the colors Kevin used are archived here in the forum ). Just some ideas for the next build.
    Jim
  • JIm, glad you brought up the paint issue, and sure it will be a hot topic here real soon, as I have been mulling that over. Great to hear your experience and insight. I stocked up on a few of the Floquil and Polly colors that I use most and the ones that Brett recommends for the bulk staining for most of the kits. Funny how we get used to certain trade color names and panic at the thought of them not being around...change is usually a good thing and so might this....we'll see...-K
  • Here are the final pictures of the Backwoods Water Tank and Storage Shed. Hopefully not too redundant as there are a good number. Deciding on my next project......imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Superb !! Outstanding all around.

Late for work, type later.

Karl.A
  • magnificent!! looks so good you can almost smell it.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Dave, you crack me up!...that was good. Thanks for the aroma therapy and comment.
  • Karl, thanks for the note, look forward to any feed-back from you as always!
  • Great idea Dave--that should plug the only creative hole left in Brett's product line!

Mike
  • edited July 2013
    Superb, magnificent, and fantastic. I am really enjoying mulling over all the details and fine photography. I really like the oil filled barrel and the dirt and grunge under the workbenches and where people don't walk. The rock walls under the tank and the attached shed walls were really well done. There is alot to take in, and aroma therapy, now that is an idea. Maybe the name should be the Magic of Sierrawest Scale Models.
    Jim
  • Hey Jim, Thanks for the comments. Nice to have this one done, had a blast with it. I have put up a couple more final pictures with a better background and one I'll use for the cover of a documentation volume I'm doing on this kit. I have the original sales receipt, color ad, all the bag labels, pictures of other builds, etc.. and will be assembling all this material into a 3-ring binder.

Next build...maybe Duluth? I purchased Brett's re-offering and it has some techniques I haven't tried as yet...we'll see. Thanks for following along and enjoyed your assessments.

Ken imageimageimage
  • you get the first price for sure what a wonderfull model
    great job :)

DJ
  • DJ, Thanks for the vote of confidence and appreciate your following along. -K
  • A masterpiece Ken, you should really be extremely pleased with this accomplishment. Love the half buried wheel incidentally, great touch.
    Your pictures display the work of a well seasoned and experienced modeler of many, many years.
    The subtleties, the colours, depth of texture throughout, overall composition. Superb work all around.

Karl.A
  • Hi Karl, I deeply appreciate your critique and guidance you so willingly provide. I have learned so much from you, and others, since becoming a staunch "member" of this fraternity of modelers. All those who contribute to this forum provide insight and knowledge likely beyond what they realize. And how do we even begin to thank Brett for providing a means for all that is possible with SierraWest Scale Models.
  • Ken I just had another look at your final pics, they really are great it's a beautiful model (if you can call dilapidation beautiful) . I think I'll use some sort of multi level on my next build, I was going to with the machine shop but, stupidly started out on the flat plywood instead of a layer of foam.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Hi Dave, Thanks for the note. I wanted to give the surrounding landscape a bit of variety and character rather than just a flat dio. It gives the feel of being in hills or mountains without them actually being in the scene. It also gave me a chance to try modeling a road which I fell in love with on Karl's dio in the Dirt, Details, and Dioramas thread. Your Machine Shop is awesome and you can certainly add contour when you incorporate your base into your overall layout (are you working it in to a layout?) Ken
  • that first pic is the money shot for sure bro!