visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Backwoods Water Tank & Storage Shed

Comments

• Thanks Ken for the tutorial. The dry brush with grime is an excellent idea. Going to try it this week. It is amazing so many excellent ideas from so many people about how to color the castings which gives you different but excellent results. A lot of fun. I definitely need to get on the stick and start posting a build. Will do soon.
    Jim
  • OK, Here's the deal...I have been on the sidelines for a good while due to server problems that prevented me from accessing Brett's web-site. Brett was instrumental in getting this resolved as of today! That was the bad news. Good news is that I have been busy getting the build moving along with lots a pictures.

The roof has not been installed least I get all the interior details finished and attached as the access is limited thereafter. I have all the castings in "staged positions" for the final diorama placement( save for the large oil tank that goes on the wood platform). If any of my casting placement irritates anyone, please let me know before I glue them down!

Of note:
    The close up was taken of the cool light pole that is on the east side of the pump house to illustrate the simulated electrical cord wrapped around the pole, per Brett's instructions. Also, the shade is a resin casting and was flat on the bottom and I added a drop of Epoxy to simulate a light bulb poking out. What a nice detail.

Air compressor is an awesome feature Brett included with the tarp draped over the side and the coiled hose. I also added strip wood to the back of the large (long) casting at the rear as where I placed it the back would show.

More later.....-K
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Felt I needed to have a couple of better images of the air compressor. Such a cool feature.imageimage
  • So you were denied access to the website...was it like a restraining order...were you stalking... Just kidding.

Great progress. I agree that the light and compressor are great details. But I think the piles of clutter are just as nice. As is the touch of green on the stonework.
  • Superb job! Everything looks excellent. I really can't wait to see the roof on and the spout on the tank. Getting closer to a finished dio and great contest entry. Keep it up.
    Jim
  • Hey Bryan, Yea, started to take it personally! Really... the SW server was blocking my IP address for some reason (I was getting a 403 permission denied error) but Brett got it worked out with the security folks and all is now well...The green mossy look on the stones seemed to work and give me the look I was after...getting there.

Jim, Thanks for the comment and sorry for the big delay in response from your last post. The spout will be one of the very last things I finish as it will be just asking to get knocked around when I start spreading dirt! The roof and roof details are next followed by the landscaping. The open area in the fence in the back is for delivery of the oil drums. I'll have the stake bed truck there unloading a few...-K
  • Ken!! Welcome back!!

Really nice shots of your work, great to see them.

I particularly like your last picture, it re-enforces what I was trying to say some time ago.
    As an overview it all blends together perfectly but, when you look closer you notice the green bottles, the white stripe on the oil drum, the yellow edge to the compressor grill, the silver/metallic items on the work bench.
    At first glance none of these things stand out, everything just looks natural, as it should, the colours are all there and subdued beautifully. Nice job.

Karl.A

(Great job on the water tank bands also)
  • Hey Karl, Thanks for the note and your seasoned wisdom as always. Wouldn't believe the panic that sets in knowing you can't communicate with "the group" anymore....cold sweat, palpitations, that kind of thing. Glad to be back and participating. You folks are the link that makes this stuff all worth while and such fun. More later....-K
  • edited June 2013
    Ken, I'm only 6 years in (maybe 7) so I'm hardly seasoned and as for wisdom.... you make me sound like an older guy!!!
    I just know good modeling when I see it, and I see it.

Fun is what it's all about.... where are the new pics? Slacker.

Karl.A
  • Great! now you're ruining it for me....I had pictured you as that arm around the shoulder, grey haired, deep set eyes peering over the bifocals, patriarch kind of fella!

Irrespective of your chronological position in life, It's easy to recognize those key individuals, such as yourself, whom you want to surround yourself with and soak up as much of their "wisdom" as you can. These folks are the ones that are sorely missed in any organization. I know from the short time I have been involved with this "organization" that you are highly respected, a top shelf modeler, and I appreciate your tutelage and can't wait for that arm around the shoulder....in person!
  • Couple shots of the oil storage tank and platform. Not finished with it but close....-Kimageimage
  • Kind words indeed Ken, and much appreciated. I look forward to meeting you at the Expo.

Platform looks really great, tank looks good.... I'm not liking the stumps though.
    However, as you say, you're not finished yet, so I will wait to see how it evolves.

While looking at the tank/platform which is the focus of your post I also noticed how well the surrounding details/castings have been done.

Karl.A
  • If I mention before Ken this is a nice build everything is blending together very wel nice colors and scenery (for so far its done) I like it.

I think it would be a nice detail to replace the stump for a tree and some leaves that are fallen of around the tank and to place the stumps somewhere near the track, because those trees where properly standing in the way

just an idea

DJ
  • Dj, Thanks for your input. I'm having a blast with this build. The stumps are just set there to see how they wear on me. My idea was to have the outside of the fenced area much more overgrown and neglected. The stumps would be in amongst weeds, clutter, etc. not sold on them and will move things around as I prepare for the final scenicking. Actual trees will have to be beyond the perimeter of this diorama which is 8 x 8...-K
  • Yo Karl, Tree stumps are are a bit irritating? Is it the detailing or the placement or both? They were done as a bit of an experiment as I'll need a bunch for the overall logging railroad scenic treatment. Other than the access road in back, it's the only area outside the fenced area, in the diorama, that I can put anything and wanted a more neglected look. May be trying to put too much in a too little space? Thanks...-K
  • placement for me is all wrong, especially two of them next to each other.
    stumps themselves are beautifully painted and weathered.... just not there.

neglected area yes, stumps no.
    too close to the fence, too close to a cultivated area. it just looks like a modeler stuck them there for effect, not good.
    only my opinion, disregard at will.

Karl.A
  • May be trying to put too much in a too little space? Thanks...-K
    You already knew it from instinct..........

• but is this just an diorama on its own ore did it become a part of your layout (if you have or gonna build one) ?
    If it become a part of an layout you can finish the diorama but save some castings for after the installation

DJ
  • Karl, Stumps...what stumps?...I don't see any stumps...
    Thanks Karl for your insight, which of course goes without saying. This is the stuff I love about FSMing and this web-site...the people and the conversation...the rest is just a bunch of wood, resin, and glue.

Dj: This diorama will be incorporated into a early 1900s logging railroad layout. Plenty of room to dribble stumps all over the place! I've got to keep in mind this 8"x8" diorama will be placed in a 26' x 13' space so don't cram it all in here...
  • Completed roof, rafters, fire barrels and walkway. Next up...lay the track and begin scenic work...Spout assembly will be last to keep it from getting damaged during the track and scenery instal...-Kimageimage
  • Looking mighty fine... The air compressor is especially nice tucked away inside.
  • Beautiful work. looking forward to seeing the completed model. It's close now...
  • Brett: Love the air compressor! This has been a really fun build. Thanks, you did a marvelous job putting this thing together.

Hey Joel...thanks for the note..and I am getting close! A little track laying and then spreading some dirt...-K
  • Well...I took a deep breath and started slinging dirt all over my diorama! Just getting started with the base layer down and the rough worn path around the building defined. Not happy with many things but hope they will come together as I move along. The road is getting there. The dark base layer may be too dark so will lighten that with successive layers. We'll see....imageimageimage
  • I think it looks pretty good so far, what kind of dirt did you used for the different colors ?
    And I think that some detailing and vegatation will blend it all together.

DJ
  • Great start. Be sure to layer additional finer scenery elements (rocks, dirt, greenery) when adding castings and details. Sprinkling increasingly finer materials on top of the base is the best way to get a realistic look with depth. Blend the scenery once dry with a brush and some chalk powder and dirt...
  • DJ..I'm finding out that at this point things look worse before they get better for sure. As the layers are built up and a few castings sunk in things really start to look like something. I used two shades of real dirt sifted very fine as the base then have been adding various ground mosses, sifted leaf litter, etc.. Got some nice stuff from sifting gravel driveway material that provided a nice blend of light colors.

Brett..perfect timing on your suggestions as I'm just starting the build up of the layers now and your method of blending the final dried scenery with chalk and fine dirt is one of those "ah-ha" moments...as I was struggling with that very thought as I moved from one area to another. The main areas seem to get just a slight bit segregated with respect to the color tones and textures and a final dry dusting sounds perfect...thanks for that. Working on small "mini-scenes" rather than everything at once. Less to correct if things go astray. On the oil tank area right now and what a great little scene this is.
  • Update on the placement of a few castings and some additional layering of the ground materials. Still much detailing to do but wanted to get a feel for how it was going. More later....-Kimage
  • The access road detailing is almost done. The very end corner will be treated to blend in where the retaining wall ends. More later...-Kimageimage