visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Shipyard build

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Paul, I can't wait to see your house pix and new work area. In the meantime, if you don't mind I am going to attempt to duplicate your stone work in parallel with my present state of construction. It'll be interesting to see if I can come close to matching your wall colors . . .
    Looking great - as usual.
    Respectfully,
    John
  • edited August 2014
    Great to hear from you Paul! Hope the move goes well and you are soon back to your bench! Best to Gina...
  • Great to see an update from you Paul. Hope the move goes well for you and looking forward for when you get back to the bench.

Karl.A
  • I'm planing on starting my shipyard soon and will continue going over these builds for inspiration. I really like the idea of printing out large photos and posting them on the wall by your work bench. I know I'm late getting in on this build but I'm new to the forum for posting. Thanks for the time you have taken to post your progress. The photos are great and your work is also.

Dave
  • Hello All,

Phew … sure glad the move is over… all went well and we’re now comfortably set in our new house. As for the basement, I’ve managed to keep most of the railroad and shop areas clear. Still working out the layout plans, but at least now I know exactly the amount of room I have (pic’s to follow…)

Thanks Jerry, Dave, Mary, John, Brett and Karl, much appreciated. James, I was born in Vancouver (Trout Lake area in east Van), moved to Montreal 20 years ago (work related). Spent a lot of time at the RR club in the CN station (apparently the club is long gone now).

Now for some catching up on the build progress …

Started the ship just before moving, so here’s how its gone so far. First, staining the various keel and rib components:

Stained the keel with Floquil Roof Brown (somehow the pic shows PS Roof Brown … mixed up the bottles when setting up for the
    pic….).

The keel consists of a chip board middle with wood sides. Glue applied with brush:

Once the keel was dry, moved onto trimming the keel with stained strip wood (and staining the cut ends).

The curved areas of the keel required softening of the strip wood by soaking in rubbing alcohol. The longer the soaking the softer the wood (and easier to bend), of course I broke a few pieces in the process of bending.

…and finally trimming the edges:

Next will be finishing off the keel prep and then onto the ships ribs.

'til Next
    Paul

• Oh boy Paul, now you are doing the fun part! . . .

John
  • Glad to read the move went well Paul and great to have an update on your build.
    The sequential pics are superb as always and much appreciated.
    The colouring looks good and I cant wait to see the ribbing in place, the boat area
    is a whole kit by itself, looking forward to what you do with it.

Karl.A
  • Very nice work Paul.

Glad the move went well. Look forward to the pics.
  • Hello All,

Thanks Karl and Wes, I’m much more comfortable in the new digs … just need to get a coffee pot in the shop (beer fridge and freezer are already in the storage area).

More pics to follow of the rest of the basement once I get it straightened out.

As for the ship, here’s a few catch-up picks just prior to packing my work bench in the old house. On an aside … I diligently packed all of my computer desk (including desk-top power cords, wires, wall-warts etc.), but to no avail upon un-packing the wall-wort for the hard disk that I store all the pic’s in was not there…and of course it’s a special wall-wort. Took a couple of weeks to order but I finally got it back in operation. As for the desk-top, needed to install a Wi-Fi connection (now that I’m in the basement and the router is in the kitchen). Thought it would be easy to install a USB Wi-Fi connection, not so … had to update Windows XP, increase the RAM (went overboard to 8GB for when I Install Windows7), after which the LinkSys USB worked…. Ughh.

Ok, back to the ship, continuing adding strip wood to the keel:

End result:

The final outer stripping required bending of the pieces, achieved with soaking in Isopro alcohol. I found about 5 minutes did the trick, to soon and the wood snaps (especially on the outside corners).

Onto staining of the ribs, I used a mixture of the usual 408.3 (as you can see I’m running low), 704.7 (Grey) and Golden Ochre.

Note: the holder on the left is the center pieces for the ribs, no need staining these, they’ll be covered up.

The last pic was very helpful down the road when I arrived at adding the bracing …each rib center piece has a number etched in it, but once the outer pieces are glued on these numbers disappear (and there’s no numbers on the carrier sheet). Luckily, with this photo I was able to number the carrier sheet in order to make it easier to identify and cut the rib bracing. Of course the reduced pixel count requirement for the forum renders these numbers blurred (but the original 5MB pic shows them perfectly).

Now for the task of gluing them all together, just a couple of pic’s showing the set-up so as to not loose track of the pieces (ie keep them on the carrier).

Next I’ll be setting up the Keel for ribbing and then onto rib bracing … exciting times (I think)…

'til Next
    Paul
  • Exciting indeed Paul, thanks for the update and the notes on the numbering system, .

Karl.A
  • Great progress photos and useful tips along the way, Paul. Thanks for taking the time to back up and show us your older photos to fill in on details prior to your move. Your new basement digs look great!
  • edited October 2014
    Paul this is a great thread and you do superb work.

A while back it hit me about another great feature in Brett's kits. There are many brands and choices of paper shingles on the market, but nothing jumps out at you more than when the cut between shingles is not long enough. If not cut properly, when the strips are overlapped it is very obvious they are not separate shingles.

I think you can see here what I am talking about. If you look for this you will see a lot of otherwise good modeling flawed by this little detail.
  • Hey Paul, remember the framing ideas I presented in our combined forum some time ago? Do you plan to reference that or might you have an easier approach? You continue to do terrific job on this thread. A great reference for those about to build this great kit.

John Elwood
  • Paul-
    Your work is always crisp and precise! Continues to look great! Is the finish line in sight or do you have a ways to go yet?

What about the Expo...you planning on going?
    Bill
  • Thanks Karl, Brian and Mike. John, I was planning on using your file folder template idea, but decided on going free hand so to speak. A simple jig to get the heights even on both sides. Pic's to come. Bill, the finish line (or should I say shore line) is on the horizon ... Christmas maybe... and I'll be attending the Expo.

Paul
  • Great news on all points Paul.

Karl.A
  • Hello All,

I forgot to mention this in my last post, in the shop pic’s there’s a big piece of bamboo (meant for a kitchen counter or such, weighs about a hundred pounds) which will be used to make a second work bench in the shop …more space and I’ll be able to get twice as much done…(?)

Moving right along with the ship build, the next few pics were with LED lighting on the work bench (prior to my installing the Halogen spots on the ceiling). I could’ve adjusted the cameras white balance but I knew I’d be changing the lights to halogen. The LED’s are on when I’m working on non-color related RR stuff (lights up the back of the bench nicely).

Test fitting the keel to the template, planning on gluing the keel supports to wax paper on top of the template:

Taping the the wax and template down:

Glueing (Weldbond) the keel supports to the wax paper, the middle of the supports were marked to help align the keel.

Added blocks and shims (2 part epoxy) to keep the keel level (all done by eye):

Glued the keel (2 part expoxy) to the supports and weighted down.

Finally turned off the LED’s (just the halogen’s on):

The first rib glued (Weldbond) and held in place. Note the tweezers and strip-wood as a gauge for getting the rib height even on both sides.

Next I'll be finishing the ribs and cross pawls (bracing for the non-nautically inclined, as my friend John Elwood has pointed out on the other forum) and then it's onto the scaffold supports.

'til Next
    Paul
  • Hate to break it to you Paul, but more space means more time spent looking for that 'thing' that you just put down right next to you, resulting in less work done.

Superb update as usual, I shall comment further when I view your work on a better screen.

Karl.A
  • Paul,

Looking great. Now it is beginning to look really interesting. Your new shop is well lit and spacious. I am interested to see what you use for legs on the new table.

John
  • Paul, your precision and detailed pictures far exceed expectations. It was a challenge for me doing the ribs, but what you have done made it look so easy to do. Great work!
  • More great work Paul.

Do you use the LEDs as lighting for your work bench?
  • Hello All,

Thanks Karl, John, Marty and Wes (I use the LED’s most of the time when I’m working on my electronics projects/Fast Track turnouts and such, but turn them off when I’m modeling (and picture taking), you really need to get the LED color temp right for modeling).

On an aside, finished the new work bench in the shop, just need to add lighting and it’s ready to go (John: the legs were made from cubicle framing (scrap) that we use at work for our excitation systems, it’s very sturdy and easy to cut with a hack-saw. The different pieces are attached with metal angle braces that are screwed into holes (self-taping) in the frame). Now I’ll able to roll my old work bench into the center of the room while I work on the scenery aspect of the Shipyard and still have a work space for all the details.

As for the Shipyard, the ship construction continues, here’s how I’ve aligned and attached the ribs (cross pauls) using tweezers and a strip wood height gauge:

… gotta stay inspired…

The length of the cross pawls (rib bracing) required knowing the corresponding place in the laser cut sheet the crass pawl came from, but this information is lost once the pawls are removed from the sheet. Luckily past photos allowed me to number the pawls correctly:

Staining of the cross pawls … at the time I didn’t pay a lot of attention to the coloring of the wood, I just went by eye. In hind-sight, I should have made the keel and pawls appear as new wood and all the rest (supports/scaffolding) as aged and worn, but there’s noturning back now…we’ll see how it pans out.

That’s it for now, you need to let these first two pawls really dry before attempting to put the remaining pawls in (the first two will be actingas a support for aligning the remaining braces).

Once the ship frame is complete it’s back to the dock for piling and then onto planting the ship on the diorama … getting close to working on the scenery (an aspect of modeling I find the most daunting…).

For those down south, have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the turkey and football games.

'til Next
    Paul
  • Paul,

Thank you for commenting on your work bench legs for me. The final product looks excellent. Additionally, it is hard to believe we are looking at the former concrete basement wall of a few months ago!

I am really excited to see you starting the ship. You sure have the ribs well aligned. It looks really good. I am looking very much forward to reaching that point. I own three massive such kits from The Lauck Street Shipyard that I have not yet had sufficient courage to begin. In each of them, the ribs generally consist of nine separate pieces, sistered together as done in the real world. They are admiralty style.

I'm looking forward to your continuing progress.

Respectfully,
    John
  • Hello All,

Thanks John, glad you're following along. I’m almost ready to transfer my modeling tools and mat to the new bench to allow me to pull the old bench away from the wall so I’ll have access to all sides of the shipyard when I start the scenery aspect of the build (pic’s to follow…).

Continuing with the cross-pawls (rib braces), once the cross-pawl locations were identified and cut the bow and stern pawls were glued to the ribs.

Of course, I glued the bow pawl to the stern side of rib #1 …this was noticed quite quickly when I went to place the ¼” strip wood to align the pawls (not to hard to remove the first pawl and re-glue to the bow side).

Once the glue was dry, added the ¼” strip-wood in order to get the correct height for the subsequent pawls:

Gluing from both the bow and stern towards the center of the ship:

The completed pawls (spin shots):

…ok, enough spinning, onto the scaffold bracing. These were cut as per the template and glued to the corresponding ribs (but on the bow side of the rib), the height was done by eye.

Now onto the turn-table to make spinning easier:

... ok enough pic's, that's it for the ship building ... for now. Next will be piling and adding barnacles to the dock and then onto the scenery and placing (sinking) the ship into sculptamold…the sculptamold will probably do me in...

'til Next
    Paul
  • Excellent couple of updates Paul, the ship is definitely one of the focal points of the diorama and yours is coming out beautifully. Such an attention grabber executed so well.

Karl.A
  • very nice!- always wondered how that boat went together. Allot of work! Gotta get me some of those metal weights...
  • Beautiful Paul. Every update is a winner from you.
  • Paul, it's obvious that you are an accomplished modeler. Really beautiful work. Kudos.

Dave
  • Oh boy Paul, that is awesome. I can't wait to get there. Maybe it was Marty who jumped ahead in excitement to do it sooner rather than later. I love being so far behind everyone, giving me an opportunity for lots of input from you wizards. I'm also pleased to see you back at it in earnest. No interruptions from now on with the Pats, holidays or vacations in the Bahamas, OK? . . .

John
  • Love that boat.