visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Shipyard build

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Hello All,

Bill, I use (a really small hammer ;) a pin-vise holding a piece of steel wire that’s really sharp (pointed)…and then poke each plank twice using the steel ruler as a guide (I’ve found using an Opti-visor helps to see the individual planks since once the ruler is down you loose sight of the individual planks (at least with my eyes).

Thanks Brett, I’ll get around to dusting the Warehouse door one of these days… K, sorry about that, but waterfronts and trains go hand-in hand (as do tunnels and mountains)… Thanks Joel, will you be in Ottawa for the Expo in May (and if so, are you bringing any
    diorama’s…?)

My build is progressing slowly, so many things to think about: …work (retirement is still a few years off), layout plans, bench-work, LED strip lighting, programming the TI’s LaunchPad micro controller (for lighting effects and Tortoise switch control) … and the list goes on….and we (Gina) have (has) a new dog, Gizzmo, a 4.8 lb Yorkshire Terrier (gives me time to collect scenery stuff on our daily walks on the paths…).

Now for the location of the Shipyard, it will be located on the end of a 3’’x6’ waterfront stretch (the Styrofoam is not rounded yet), the idea is to have water along the front of the benchwork curving around and into the wall. There’ll be a photo back drop along the wall (rural scene with water on the right). Here’s a few pic’s to illustrate, nothing’s nailed down or cut (there’ll be 1x3’s supporting the foam), these were just scraps of Sytrofoam I had on hand.

Hopefully this will work, pic’s to follow. Back to the loading docks, decks and landings… The following pic’s are for the Barge Derrick on the left of the diorama. Decided to stain some new boards a lighter color since the landing will be located in the open (with a bit more bleaching from the sun).

I use double sided tape (cut to width) to hold the strip-wood on the waxed over Barge Derrick Dock layout template. Holds everything in place and easy to pull up after the build.

Since there were two lengths of boards, started from either end and in the middle laying boards out, working towards the middle for each size of board.

The last two boards are trimmed to fit (very little trimming required).

Now for the nail holes..

Hole left in planking to accommodate the derrick crane.

More landings and finally another structure (small) coming up…

‘til Next,
    Paul

• I really like the location you have planned Paul. I have my O scale version planned very similar on the end of a peninsular, it makes it easy to see everything from all the angles that way. Yours is going to be a perfect setting to show off this masterpiece.

Your work continues to be superb, not a lot one can say about loading docks, but as with everything else in the build yours are precise, well executed and will blend seamlessly with everything else. Very nice.

Karl.A
  • Hello All,

Thanks Karl, just wish I could be a bit faster (concentrated) on the build, but then again … we are doing this to relax. The dock construction, distressing, staining and planking is the perfect setting for listening to the various MR podcasts …

Sometime ago I wrapped the various sizes of strip wood with elastic bands, makes finding the different lengths easier.

Img 4861_1

Chopping the dowels (and True Sanding) for the rigging dock (previously distressed and stained):

Img 4862_2

The pilings under the end of the dock are covered in barnacles and what not, used diluted white glue and dipping in a container of very
    fine sand:

Iimage

The dock requires 6 of these pilings (barnacled)… made two extra while I was at it (for staining practice using Floquil Weathered
    Black)

Now for the glue up (thought briefly of making some kind of a jig for this, but then realized (noticed) not many dock wood pilings are
    perfectly plummed) :

Coming up will be bracing the rigging dock and a couple of the landings and then onto the main dock.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Hi Paul,
    I really like the barnacles on the pilings. Really great tutorial (pictures are worth a thousand words). The docks are really nicely done.
    Jim
  • Paul,
    the fine sand you used for the barnacles looks perfect for the job, They really came out well.
    As for the speed of the build... Rome wasn't built in a day and a SWSM kit shouldnt be built in a weekend. Time and care needs to be taken with these builds and your results are definately a fine example of the excellence that can be achieved when taking ones time.

Also the time you have taken in showing this excellent pictorial of your build should be noted. I'm sure that at least half of your modelling time is taken up with photography, picture selection and then posting for us all to enjoy.

All of us following and watching your build are greatly appreciative of your time spent in sharing your progress.

Karl.A
  • Hello All,

Thanks Jim and Karl ... the posting is just bonus fun after the distressing, staining, chopping, trimming and gluing, rather relaxing now that I have a "not so much automated posting system, more like a procedure" in place.

I’ve been working diligently on the Shipyard lately and now have quite the stock-pile of pic’s to post (…up to finishing the main dock now). But first, finishing off the Rigging Dock, pilings in place and brushed with thinned Floquil Weathered Black

Bracing for the pilings:

… and the end result:

Moving on to the Store front porch … measurements made to determine the number of boards required (don’t won’t to spend to much time distressing the ends if their not required).

Laying boards starting from either end and working towards the middle. Once there, noticed that trimming one piece would result in a very thin piece, so trimming the last 3 resulted in slightly smaller boards (not really noticeable).

Finally to finish off, the legs and skirting:

That will be it for now, back to the work-bench.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Great update Paul.
    Your idea of trimming down several boards in the center instead of just one is a great method. It really makes them unnoticeable.
    If the narrow boards still stand out (which yours don't) I also like to mix in a full width board or two in the center section. yours however turned out perfect.

I really like the look of that lattice work, something rarely seen on a model but abundant in the real world.... gotta keep them critters out..

Karl.A
  • Excellent job Paul. I didnt realize that there was lattice included in the shipyard build. This really adds to the build. Really cool Brett included this in the kit. Thanks again for so many nice pictures of the build. I will definitely reference your build in the future. Really well done and documented.
    Jim
  • The lattice work really adds to the build, also having been around the ocean all my life (I get real picky about modeling ocean scenes) your barnacle work is fantastic ,really well done!
  • Hello All,

It’s been awhile since my last post, unfortunately my mother passed away in Vancouver, May 13th , in her 94th year, she will be missed by all 6 or her children, 13 grand-children and one great-grand daughter.

Thanks Karl, Jim and Scott, I really appreciate your comments. I’ve managed to get back to the workbench after returning from Vancouver and have started the main Shipyard dock. More distressing and staining:

After the distressing I find a lot of fuzz on the strip wood. I use a paper towel to wipe the strips down (seems to remove most of the fuzz but also results in the accidental breaking of a few strips)

… and the final results, ready for gluing:

The dock template just happened to fit my glass work surface perfectly (with wax paper covering the template). Beams lightly glued in place:

Now for the chopping:

Installation of the “rafter” with strip wood for a guide:

There’s a gap here for the planks that support the rail:

Once all the rafters were in place, laid square strip wood (perpendicular to the rafters) over top to support the bus-bar weights (makes it easier to lay the weights without toppling the rafters).

I used Pliobond glue for the rails (if its good for the Fast Track turnouts, it must be good for the Shipyard….), apply a thin bead on both the rail and the plank, wait a half minute or so and apply the rail to the plank. You’ll need to use the track gauges for laying the second rail.

Next will be planking the deck …

‘til Next,
    Paul
  • Hi Paul: So very sorry to hear about your Mom... Glad to have you back!
  • Thanks Brett, good to be back. Mother had a good life with my father (who passed away back in '06 at 87 years), they both lived in South Burnaby overlooking the Fraser Valley (just east of Vancouver). She never had a hosptial stay just old age ( if we're all that lucky it would be great).

'til Next,
    Paul
  • Hello All,

Now that the staining has thoroughly dried on the planks, let the planking begin. Starting from the waters edge, figured the planks should be not more than 25’ or so. Just butted a few planks around the edge, the castings, dock clutter and main building will cover most of the deck hiding the butts (so for the most part full length planks were used).

The rough un-touched edge of the planks were used butting up to the rails while the cut edges on the other end were distressed and both ends touched up with dark stain:

I used scrap pieces of 2x4 strip wood with a spacer to lay the planks between the rails, being careful not to glue the planks to the spacer strips.

Back to the chopper for the planks between the rails and along the edge of the dock:

Half way done … at this point layed the remaining planks out to see if I had enough to make it to the end, as you can see, just barely made it, will need to butt a few that will be under the main building (no need for any special treatment).

Next will be gluing the planks from the other end and then cutting filling the planks between the rails.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• I like the rails sunk down into the deck
  • Mighty fine work Paul, beautiful colour and placement. Such a wonderful contrast and individuality in your boards. Cant see how this could be any better.

Karl.A
  • Paul. Beautiful work. Perfect coloring.
    Sorry to her about your Mom.

Jerry
  • Hello All,

Thanks Karl, and Jerry your thoughts are appreciated.

Figured I would check to see if I had enough planks to finish the dock, apparently so (may have to butt a few of the last ones).

The scraps will be used for planking between the rails and edges (should have enough).

Trimming, distressing and staining the edges:

Now for the planking, starting from the other end with a strip would guide to keep everything square:

The last two planks were trimmed and since they were not full length, butted them under where the main building is to go:

After so much planking … couldn’t wait to see how the main building looks on top, hence the trial fit…

imageImg 5039_14

… and now for a few pic’s with castings that I’ve been practicing on (these are not castings from the kit but rather some extras I’ve picked up at the Craftsman Structure shows). Once I’ve mastered the technique I’ll work on the ones supplied in the kit.

Just a few more planks to lay and then it’ll be onto the outbuilding sheds (2) and the saw-mill.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Paul saw and commented on RR-Line. It is an amazing project. Your detail to work is beautiful.

Jerry
  • Indeed Paul, as Jerry says, beautiful work

Karl. A
  • Exciting to watch it all come together.
    Joel
  • beautiful work the timber colours blend really nicely.
    cheers
    Dave
  • edited July 2013
    Beautiful work Paul. I really like the castings you have done too. I can't remember but did you color the boards on the dock with chaulks or alcohol and ink? As Karl said the boards are really well done with lots of variety.
    Jim
  • Hello All,

Thanks Jerry, Karl, Joel and Dave. Jim, so far I have used various chalk pastels (Rembrandt) on all the planking and siding. It’s amazing how many variations you can make with little effort, great technique.

Thought I would post the wrap of the dock planking and start of an out building before leaving for 3 weeks on the west coast (Portland (business) and Vancouver (work conference) and nieces wedding). Finishing the dock was straight forward with a few scraps left over:

Putting the dock safely aside (actually on a shelf above the workbench out of harms way, along with the main building and docks), moved onto a shed that will be located at the end of the barge dock, it’s a small building but should add interesting details to the dock:

End result for the 4 walls,

Next will be the glue up and roofing.

‘til Next,
    Paul
  • Paul nice little building and a nice color. Have a nice trip looking forward to your next posts.

Jerry
  • Hello All,

Now that I’m back from my west coast work/vacation; really nice trip, great weather, fine dining with colleagues, family and friends, not to mention … plenty of the cold frothy stuff, I’ll get back to posting progress on the build. I’ve posted a couple of pic’s of Vancouver’s inner harbour (from an interesting vantage point) over in the RR-Line forums Crew Lounge.

Finishing the derrick dock storage shed door was next, a piece of brass wire used for the door handle:

The door hinges were colored with PS roof brown and will be dusted with rust chalk later:

The end result:

Detailing the tar paper roof with scraps of strip wood and tires:

Test fit on the end of the derrick dock:

Next will be the upper yard storage shed and then onto the saw-mill.

‘til Next,
    Paul

• Good to see you back at the yard Paul. Nice little shed there. Great coloring and your usual little details.
    Saw the pictures over on the RR Line Forum. Thanks for posting them.

Jerry
  • Looking good Paul, I like the barnacles on the piers too will look great planted in the water.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Hello All,

Thanks Jerry and Dave, always appreciated. Moving on to the Upper Yard Storage Shed, the template and strip-wood prep:

Guides applied to template for providing over-hang when assembling the sides:

Strip wood application, keeping glue away from the edges:

End result:

Trimming the edges:

End result:

Application of doors, hinges (these are really small) and bundle of wire (rope?):

Fitting the doors revealed a bit of gap on the right hand side. Added a bit of strip wood to the left side to correct:

End result:

Next will be the glue up of the walls and roof.

I’ve also been progressing (slowly) with the benchwork in the basement (to many really sunny days here in Montreal).

‘til Next,
    Paul
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Paul,
    Just saw your recent post and I want to say FANTASTIC job. I really like the little details like the wood split off the door and the wood trim mission off the side of the building. I like the weathered but not rusted out sign on the side of the building too as well as the rusty hinges. Very nice touches Paul! Keep up the GREAT work!!!

Jim
  • Paul coloring and details right on. Amazing how such a small building can become the center of attention. Great work.

Jerry