visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Shipyard build

15678911»

Comments

• Hello All,

Had a bit of a scare last weekend, my defibrillator fired at 04:00 Saturday morning while I was sleeping (I’ve had heart issues for the last 20 years or so, the pacemaker/defibrillator was installed back in ’06 after my 2nd heart attack (1st in ’94)). This prompted a rush to the ER downtown and an angioplasty procedure on Tuesday morning, resulting in the installation of a stent through a blocked artery. Lucky I have the defibrillator, otherwise I wouldn’t be updating this thread and thank the Lord for modern medicine. The defibrillator will be monitoring the heart to see if any (as they call VT’s, Ventricular Tachycardia which makes the heart beat to fast), if there are, then they will need to perform another procedure to remove scar tissue from the heart muscle. At least I’m feeling good now and will be taking it easy for the next while.

I was planning on attending the Expo in Scranton later this month, but unfortunately I am now grounded (won’t be able to drive for 3 months, and it would be impossible for me to get med insurance to go to the States). Well, there’s always next year … and I should have the Shipyard finished by then.

Speaking of the Shipyard, I have a few pic updates from before the event.

Finishing off the scaffolding required a ramp, assembled like the other scaffolding but a slight bend was made by dampening the strip wood (with water) and using the weights. This gave a nice bend in the scaffold.

The upper ramp was installed without any sag:

Installing the final scaffolds on the bow and stern:

There’s a scrap wood chute made from brushed and stained strip wood pieces as per the template.

Installation of the scaffold support post bracing:

The wood chute was a bit long for my elevations and didn’t quite look right, so I shortened the chute and placed it a bit closer to the
    bow:

Scaffolding complete, now to add a bit of clutter (scrap wood) around the ship and build the barge derrick.

'til Next
    Paul

• Paul so sorry to hear of news. Just happy your doing better now.

You are going to be missed this year for sure but we would rather have you healthy then sick.

On a brighter note wonderful work on the build. Looking forward to more.

Take care of yourself.

Jerry
  • Paul, Oh my my! Scary!

The Shipyard is looking really good - now the fun part begins.

Marty
  • shipyard coming along nicely! gonna miss you for sure in scranton.

So glad you are well and on top of your health!!!
  • Glad you are back in the saddle.

You gotta put a "fat guy" on that warped boardwalk.
  • Glad you are on the mend. Your work is always wonderful.
  • Paul,

Please be good to yourself . . .

The Shipyard is really coming together. I am so thankful for your excellent documentation augmenting Brett's. Please continue.

John
  • Hello All,

Thanks Jerry, Marty, Brett, Bryan, Alan and John, really appreciated. Feeling pretty good these days, but extremely low on the energy level.

I’ve moved onto building the barge derrick, lots of details and small castings that fit together perfectly. Here’s the general layout:

Img 1

The castings were treated first with Blacken It and then buffed and dusted with chalk:

Img 2

Img 3

A strip of masking tape was painted an earth color and then rubbed with chalk powder for the rigging eyelets:

Img 4

Wrapping the tape around the top of the mast:

Img 5

Img 6

The tape band applied to the mast and the jib:

Img 7

Epoxy’ing the jib supports to the jib:

Img 8

Installing the eyelets on the mast and jib:

Img 9

Img 10

Img 11

…end result:

Next up will be assembling the clevises and blocks, and of course taking a nap …

'til Next
    Paul
  • Hi Paul,

I know others have probably said it but I want to tell you what an invaluable resource your postings were as I built my version of the shipyard. I used it all the time to see if I was headed in the right direction. Thank you for the help!

Best regards,

Mitch
  • Terrific work, as always Paul.
    Always good to see your updates. You set the gold standard for documenting a build--no question about it!

Judging by the size of your layout room, you're gonna need a lot more structures! And considering that this thread started in 2011... You need to get that energy level back up there! Like, A LOT!
    Glad to hear you're on the mend!
  • Thanks for these amazing posts! Very appreciated. The very words "clevises and blocks" gets me all hot and bothered…. wonderful work…!
  • Not sure if this thread is still open but have to comment.
    Paul, your work on this Shipyard build is exceptional to say the least.
    I am currently working on this build and the instructions call for Floquil Concrete stain for the foundation of the main building.
    As we all know Floquil is no longer available.
    I found a solution for this stain color. Hunterline Weathering Mix Color: Cement.
    Just wanted to share.

Again keep up your great work Paul!

Chris (Pappy) :smile:
  • Hello all,

I'm still here.... :), the Shipyard was put on hold for a number of years as I recovered from the ablation procedure to remove the scar tissue from my heart muscle (a resounding success...). Pleased to announce it's been 5 years without any recurring defib firings. The medications I'm on now (and there are a lot of them) are working very well.
    Last Feb., we sold the house that we built (couldn't resist the offer and we really wanted to move to the country...), and are now enjoying a nice new build ranch (single floor on 1-acre) style house west of Montreal (with a very large, open and un-finished basement). I'm planning on finishing the Shipyard in the near future (pics to follow) and starting O'Neill's when it arrives.

Pappy, thanks for the heads-up on the stain. Bill, I'm shooting for a 10 year build :smiley:

'til Next,
    Paul

• edited January 2021
    Paul !!!
    So great to read you !!
    And so good to read of your many successes. (Health, house....big basement, ie, play space)

Can’t wait to see more progress on your shipyard.

Seems like 10 year builds are the thing right now, I’m on my third one. Ha

Looking forward to your future posts my friend, so good to see you back.
  • Pul, this looks like such a fun build.

You're making it look very easy. Everything looks amazing. And, the lighting is a wonderful additional touch.

• Glad to hear you are recovering well and back to working on the kit. Can't say enough about this wonderful kit and you are doing a great job bringing it to life.
  • Paul, we all hope you get better soon..that is most important!
    Again, your workmanship is beyond exceptional.
    Take care and get better soon.