visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Logging and Tractor repair - Straight Up

1235»

Comments

• Karl.A said:

Incredible looking wall Joel.
    I think I'm gonna take up knitting instead...
    But before I do that I'm going to get some of that there asphaltum stuff to try out.

Karl.A

oh stop. your warehouse walls in blue sky are the best i've ever seen. stay away from my knitting needles....

• edited January 2021
    Thanks so much Kevin,
    maybe I'd had a corona or two when I made that post, its so long ago I don't remember, ha.
    I never forgot Joels amazing build though. A great reference thread.
  • i think brett resurrected this thread and i've never seen it before. while i've got you on the line....heheh,..do think drybrushing an asphaltium black acrylic paint very lightly could have the same or similar effect as the asphaltium glaze?
  • edited January 2021
    Hey Kevin, I resurrected the thread, and I assume youre talking to me.

Despite my post I never tried the asphaltium paint, I've always been more than happy with the results from the techniques in the SWSM manual. Adapt, adjust, advance.

I'm sure Joel will step in and answer any questions on usage of asphaltium glaze.
  • Sorry Kevin I've never used the asphaltum black paint, just the glaze. I assume if you watered it down a bit it would have a similar effect but the extra water may warp the wood and fill in a lot of the distressing.
  • thanks gents. if i decide to try it i will tread carefully
  • Ive seen the 'Asphaltum' referred to in several threads....who is the manufacturer?

Terry
  • terry,
    i think there's quite a few. valspar is one.
  • Yeah I typically buy a bottle or 2 from Lowe's every time I drive down to the States. Sadly that isn't gonna happen this year so luckily I have a stockpile.