visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Logging and Tractor repair - Straight Up

Comments

• Great work on the disconnect Joel and the tree is superb. That soldering job looks real tricky to me, though I'll ultimately have to try it someday, hopefully I can be as precise as you.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Karl,
    Not really that tricky if you buy one of the soldering jigs. OK making some progress. Did the base of the roofs and finished off the bed of the truck ala Brian Nolan. Have to figure out what castings and dust it up but it's almost there.

I did the roof bases... so far so good.

imageimageimage

The truck bed is also quite weathered and beat up -

Having fun but looking less likely to make the Oct deadline.
  • OK did the scenery for the backround cliff. Trees glued in place. Small green flags where the foreground trees go.image

Also made some progress on the roof panels. Really happy with the rusted panels. All done as per Karl's fantastic directions.imageimageimageimage

Just wiring the forge tonight and should be able to start planting the buildings and doing the water.
  • Fantatsic work Joel. That corrugated Iron does look good. Infact the whole scene is looking great.

Cant wait to see the building come together.
  • Home stretch brother.... Don't fade now! Coming together nicely.
  • Joel-
    In addition to all the other elements, I wanted to add that your rock work is spectacular! Wow! Really nice. I've used Bragon's casting resin and really liked working with it, but trying to color correctly was a bit frustrating. Hopefully, you'll be at the expo and you can give me some pointers.

Looks great!
    Bill
  • Thanks for the encouragement Bill and Brett. It's starting to come together. I put down some ground cover and glued down the building. Spent about 5 hours dabbling in details.
    It's a start.image

I installed a couple of LEDs in the forge to give a flickering effect. You get the idea from the photo.

imageimageimage

Now it's the lights and roofs. Then the tool shed and CAT.
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks for the "mention" Joel, I had completely forgotten writing down those steps for you at last years show! Your panels turned out absolutely fantastic.

The diorama is turning out beautifully and coming together fast, one more week to go and you are way ahead of me, you even have track and painted details.......

As Brett said, dont fade now, keep pushing, I'm looking forward to seeing this in person.
    If these pictures are a good representation I shall be taking notes in Lancaster.

Karl.A

• edited October 2012
    OK finally finished the roof. It took a lot longer than I thought but I'm quite proud of the final result.image
    The wiring is still visible but that's the next step.imageimage

After the lights it's time to do the mini CAT scene. Very excited about that one.
  • Looking awesome! I hope to see it in person some day.
  • Just stunning stuff Joel.

Wish I could get to see it in person.
  • With any luck (and a few dozen hours of work) I'm still hoping to bring it to the Finescale Model show next week.
  • You better get going. A lot of people are looking forward to seeing this.
    Excellent job so far Joel.

Jerry
  • Well the CAT D8 is done (is anything ever done in this crazy hobby). The lights are functioning. Now all that's left is the Tool Shed and then detailing. Also I can see the parting line on the CAT repairman's head - Gotta fix that.imageimageimage
  • I Didnt even see the repairmans parting line, I was too busy looking at the fantastic scene you had created Joel
  • Mere hours before I leave and I finished the tool shed. All coming together nicely. I need some sun to get some good pictures. Maybe someone at the show who knows how to use a camera will take some nice shots. We'll settle for these for now.image

Close up of the shed with interior lit:

Detailed gas/oil - the cracked cement base was great fun to create.image

A final teaser of my Porter comin' down the rails...

• Fantastic, good luck at the show.
  • Just fantastic Joel. Let us know how the show goes.
  • Very nice. I love the look of use like the mud in the tractor treads.
  • Great work. Good luck at the show.
  • Joel, congratulations on your award at the show for this beautiful diorama. The combination of powerful scenery and your great modelling of the kits really produced a stunning diorama.
    Adding the lighting and sound really gave another dimension and atmosphere to your work, a beautiful piece.
    Cant wait to see what is next in line on your work bench!!

Karl.A
  • I echo Karl's comments, congrats on a beautiful diorama and the recognition of your peers. You always seem to blend kits, details, scenery, lighting, and sound effortlessly!
  • Joel-
    Congratulations on your award. It's a fantastic display of craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing your weathering, scenicing, and lighting ideas with me. I went ahead and got a set from Microlumina so plan on an email or two from me to get this all figured out.
    It was a pleasure meeting you!
  • Joel

Another great diorama. Congratulations on you win. Looking forward to seeing what's next.

Jerry
  • Joel

Another great diorama. Congratulations on you win. Looking forward to seeing what's next.

Jerry
  • Well it's the first nice day since the show and as promised I took the diorama outside and snapped a few pictures. Nothing great but I'm a modeller not a photographer.imageimageimageimage

here's a foreground board with 2 nails (.006 wire blackened) sticking out of it.

And one last one that captured a lot of my house so I tried to paint in a sky.

• Thanks for the update and congrats on the well deserved recognition. I just love all of the mini-scenes you have going on there. There is so much to take in. Wish I could have seen it in person.

Hope noone steps on those nails.
  • Great pics Joel, reinforces what an awesome diorama you created... The Tractor is especially well done.
  • I echo what Brett has said Joel.

Wish i could have seen it in person. Maybe someday.
  • edited January 2021
    Well, this is Joels thread I meant to bump up, so here it is with the 'cat'.
    I was admiring both threads last night and bumped the wrong one, amazing work in both though so thats a bonus.