visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Foss Landing and the Shipyard at Foss landing

12346»

Comments

• The open windows are a nice touch. I like the roofs. Randy
  • Greetings!

Work continues on the main building. The attached warehouse is complete. Not much extra to add from the instructions though I did add some beams behind the metal doors for some support. See photo below, upper right. Like Grant, I had to salvage some scraps from the wood pile to complete the walls.
    1-IMG_0662

Here is the competed wall and doors.
    2-IMG_0663

The roof goes on much like the awnings on the main building. Here are some photos of the warehouse attached to the main structure. One LED was added to the interior of this section.
    4-IMG_0722

5-IMG_0723
    6-IMG_0724
    9-IMG_0727
    8-IMG_0726

Excuse the simulated bird poop on the warehouse roof!

The Yardmaster office is next. The clapboard siding was fun to build and if you look closely, there are boards that are split, chipped and a few that have part of the board missing.
    3-IMG_0708

Roof is almost complete in these photos.

10-IMG_0728
    13-IMG_0731

The office will have one gooseneck light on the gabled side and one LED inside. Once glued to the main structure, it's onto the items located on the roof.

Jeff
  • Looks great Jeff. No need to be sorry about the bird poo. That is an excellent addition. It caught my eye right off. I personally think it is a great idea. Dont get me wrong, I dont walk around examining bird droppings, but it looks about right :smiley:
  • Nice work! Turning out to be a top shelf build my friend...
  • Jeff I knew just what you were trying show with that white splotch. It looks just right to me. Great job. Randy
  • Making great progress. The walls on the office turned out great! Just the right amount of distress and weathering.
  • Greetings!

The office has been attached to the main building and the pitch and pine tar tank and platform were completed and glued to the warehouse roof. A small hole was drilled in the roof top accommodate the pipe.

Here is the structure thus far. First, a few close ups of the tank and platform...

1-IMG_0761

2-IMG_0763

3-IMG_0760

...and the main building.

1-IMG_0764
    2-IMG_0768
    3-IMG_0765

Several stacks are being prepared to glue onto the roofs. Then onward.

Jeff
  • looking great Jeff! Wonderful build.
  • Very nice!
  • Greetings!

Work continues with the docks.
    Template C has the right, left and derrick docks and the sales porch, all done simultaneously. Here is some early progress.

IMG_0777

The completed docks below. Instructions are very clear cut so no need to repeat. One variation - I decided to paint the skirting speckled white. I found that on many porches, this part was white. I'll probable make the railing white to match. This will be similar to the stairs and railing of Foss Landing.

IMG_0799
    IMG_0800

Note that on the derrick dock, I made the height of the "barnacles" less as the dock went inland as the water level would be lower.

Now onto the main dock. Here is some preliminary work.

IMG_0806

I have a question for the RR enthusiasts - for the rails that are on the dock, where should I terminate the deck planing - at the blue line or red one? I can't seem to find many photos of this online and the pic in other build logs are too low resolution.

IMG_0803

Also, I bought one 36 inch length of track. For the side with the dock, instructions say to have only a few inches come off the end. What's the best method to join the track assuming I have to cut a 17 inch length into one that is, say 7 inches for the dock and 10 inches for the terrain?

As always, thanks for the kind comments and thanks in advance for any help on my questions.

• Fantastic Jeff, you are showing this kit and your work off beautifully,
    amazing on all levels.
    Thanks for sharing your progress with us, keep it up.
  • To figure out the decking question, the best approach is to acquire a set of “trucks”, ie the wheels of a train car. The decking needs to allow the wheel flanges to roll freely without obstruction from the decking. That is the acid test. But there probably would be no harm in using your blue line as a guide.
  • To join two pieces of track, I can think of 2 possibilities: rail joiners and faking it. Rail joiners are small metal pieces that slip onto the ends of the two pieces to be joined together. Faking it (if you’re never going to apply electricity to run trains) means to just square the ends of the rails to be “joined” and place them as closely together as humanly possible. Then you can glue onto the side of the rails at the gap prototypical rail joiners. I’m not sure what the technical term is off-hand but I’ve done this before and it gives a nice additional and realistic result. Hope these answers are helpful.
  • Thanks for the info. The tracks won't have current so I will likely "fake it." I'll post some in progress photos as I get to that step. Currently working on 40-ton flat car to go on one of the rails.

Jeff
  • In my 2nd post about “connecting” rails, I was referring to “tie plates”. That’s the technical term if you’re looking for them.
  • Greetings!

Work continues on the main dock.

IMG_0834

The knots in the boards were randomly placed after the boards were glued to the beams. When all the boards are down they will be given a wash with A/E to darken the knots. I decided to lay the planks to the red line. I put together a scale 40 foot flat car and the trucks run quite smoothly over the tacks with the wood placed so. I also like the look of the track "buried" in the deck. Here are a few photos.

IMG_0830

IMG_0833

IMG_0856

And finally, the main building on the foundation beams and the deck. Some wood scraps were used beneath the foundation and the various platforms to get them all at the correct height.

IMG_0869

IMG_0870
    IMG_0872
    IMG_0873
    IMG_0874

I need to straighten the rod at the top of the cupola as it seems to be off in one axis. Also, I glued the stack with the round top to the roof on the opposite side of the roof as compared to the instructions (I noticed this after the glue was set).

jeff
  • Very nice good job. .........
  • Great work on the decking and tying it in with the structure. The railcar has a detail level befitting the structure and diorama, it is wonderfully done.
  • edited April 7
    ALCO said:

In my 2nd post about “connecting” rails, I was referring to “tie plates”. That’s the technical term if you’re looking for them.

Actually, tie plates are what is used to hold the rails down to the ties.
    Fishplates (or 'joint bars' in the US) are what actually hold two pieces of rail together.
    Ken Karns has done this the best that I have seen on a couple of his HO dioramas, perhaps he could share a pic here of his HO track to show it, or a link to his thread.

• IMG_0967

Here is a shot of my track from one of my dioramas showing the joint bar between two pieces of rail. In my case I also used tie plates under the rail. To keep things simple I use a jewelers saw to cut a notch in the rail rather than cutting clear through. It keeps the rail in alignment. The joint bar or sometimes called rail bars I use are from detail associates. They are styrene and too thick. I run the joint bar over sandpaper with my finger (removes your finger prints with it) to thin down the back side to be more to scale.

Hope this helps. Rick
  • Thanks for straightening that out!