visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Foss Landing and the Shipyard at Foss landing

Comments

• Excellent job on the wood. Weathering looks great.
  • Rowboat Shed looks fantastic!
  • Great weathering and colouring on that wood structure, very nice.
  • Greetings!

Thanks for the kind comments. The new docks are complete. I decided to make a new Oyster Co dock so it would be a closer match the re-done Launch Co dock. The templates were used for both. Here is the Launch Co dock, re-done and kit supplied.

7-IMG_9434

And here are a few photos of the docks and their respective buildings.

4-IMG_9430
    5-IMG_9431
    6-IMG_9432

Next up is the fishing boat. This comes in 2 parts that have to be glued together. The deck is slightly larger than the lower hull. I decided to glue a small board here to simulate trim after the painting of the boat - below the waterline is red, above is stippled white. The trim was then painted red. I plan to use some chalk to tone down the bright red, maybe add some barnacles as well.

1-IMG_9406
    2-IMG_9407

The boat cabin and roof are made using template (I love the templates supplied with the kit - makes construction pretty much foolproof). The wood is glued onto the template to give the cabin a firm backing.

8-IMG_9436

The cabin sections were cut out with a new blade (very important to use a new one as the instructions state). The sections above the cabin windows were pretty flimsy even with the paper backing.

10-IMG_9439
    11-IMG_9440

Once the cabin was glued in place, a 0.5 x 2 mm board was glued to the upper edge of the cabin (arrows in photo below)

13-IMG_9444

The cabin roof was modified somewhat by adding planking. Rather than using the original template sheet for the roof, I made a copy and used that, just in case I did not like the finished roof. Once it was finished, I did a test fit and found out my copy was not exactly 1:1 - the roof was too small by 1-2 mm. Rather than fiddle with my copier, I just used the template supplied. The spare roof was used to make the counter in the cabin as can be seen in the photos below.

9-IMG_9438

12-IMG_9443

A few "benches" were added to the cabin walls. As this boat is undergoing a refit and refinishing, loose wires were added to the cabin counter as of course any electronics were pulled prior to the refit. A few support beams were added to the structure and this is where I am currently.

14-IMG_9445
    15-IMG_9446

One interesting note. The instructions call for a mast to be placed in a hole located between the cabin and the hatch. As you can see in the photos above, there is no opening for the mast. It would be simple enough to drill one but not sure if I want to.

The ladder and sawhorses will be made next. I may then start on the 2 boats that complement the kit, Jewel and Addison.

Jeff
  • I like your story behind the cabin; you’ve taken things in a nice direction. May I suggest putting in the mast? You never know what other new ideas await.
  • Nice work on the boat Jeff. I look forward to seeing what you do with the Jewel and the Addison.
  • I like the boat very much. Looks like you are making it RC with the wires.
  • Wonderful work here. Structures look great and look forward to seeing things planted in the diorama…
  • Greeting!

Thanks for all the kind words. Karl, it is going to be some before I start the diorama. I plan to combine Foss Landing and the Shipyard into one, so I plan to build all of the structures I start the layout. And with that in mind, here are some photos of the last structures of Foss landing, the boat and its accompanying items, the saw horse(s) and ladder. These were constructed using the templates supplied. The plans call for one sawhorse but I had enough planks to build 2. They are quite delicate so spare wood was used to provide support.

IMG_9459

IMG_9460

I decided to take ALCO's advice and install the mast however I took things a bit further and added a gaff and associated rigging. Normally these would likely lead to a cleat on the mast. not having any of the correct scale, I used a small eye bolt fashioned into a hook and coiled the rope onto the hook. A stay was added leading from the mast to the bow, secured to an eye bolt on the deck. A 3mm double block was used for the gaff lift. A single sheaved block was used for the line on the underside of the gaff, secured to the deck with a hook, again fashioned from an eye bolt. I was able to work out this simplified rigging from some photos of similar boats found on the internet. I also added red and green running lights to the roof. I may add some more details such as a smoke stack (as seen on Alco's wonderful diorama) and weathering, but for now, this is enough. Here's a few photos:

IMG_9466

IMG_9467

IMG_9468

And finally, Foss Landing, "on the shelf."

IMG_9469

IMG_9471

Next up, the Jewel. I plan to modify the rigging for this boat too, using real blocks and rope.

Jeff
  • edited July 2023
    The boat looks great with the mast and the rigging, definitely worth it.
    It is all looking so good so far.
  • Great job on the boat Jeff.
  • Overall great work I dare to say.. :smiley:
  • WOW! Nice upgrades to the mast!
  • Very nice! Can't wait to see what you do combining the 2 kits into one diorama.
  • Wonderful details, nicely done!
  • Thanks for the kind words. It has been a fun project so far, made much easier with the great kit instructions and the tutorials here on forum (especially detailing casting by Karl and Advanced wood clinic by "Dr Grunge"). Grant's log of the Shipyard will be a lot of help when I tackle that kit next. This forum has been a great resource for the many tips and tricks to help in this project (which are typically not used in model ship building).

Jeff
  • Glad to read my posts helped along the way, thank you.

Now I want to upgrade my boats, all because of you!!
  • Greetings!

On to the Jewel. When I bought Foss landing, there was an option to purchase 2 waterline boats to go with the Foss diorama, the Jewel and the Addison. Up first is the Jewel. The waterline molded boat is pretty good with regard to detail. I first used a white primer for the base layer. Below the lower wale was painted red, above left white. The decks were painted off white. here is a photo at this stage:

1-IMG_9476

The deckhouse is built using a template with the boards weathered and painted as described previously, then glued directly onto the paper template. This next photo shows the process with the portholes supplied. They were a variety of colors with a gloss finish. 3 are in their original state, 3 have been "roughed up" and painted grimy black.

2-IMG_9506

This next one is the aft wall before painting, and the portholes with "rust."

3-IMG_9509

Portholes now installed. I painted the roof a speckled white like the walls and then realized that it should have been black. Easy enough to fix and it can be seen on later photos.

5-IMG_9608

The walls were then glued to the appropriate place on the boat. Rather than try to glue the whole thing at once, I first glued just the forward wall with epoxy. When that set, I bent the walls around the former on the deck to achieve the final structure. Because the walls are pretty flimsy, some wood was added to the perimeter at the top to give more gluing area for the roof. The front window is installed around this step too. Instructions call for the plastic to be fogged using DioSol, however, I decided to go with a clearer window as I could not imaging running a boat with windows that were too foggy.

6-IMG_9623

The rear wall is then glued on when complete. I though the deckhouse looked too empty, especially with the cleared "glass" in place. So, prior to putting the roof on, I decided to try to make a ships wheel using some spare ship modelling parts.

7-IMG_9628

The rings are small mast hoops; wood strips cut from 0.5 x 5 mm strip to 0.5 x 1 mm.
    The central hub is a rough 3 mm circle of styrene.

8-IMG_9630

Here is the result. Looks ok, considering it will be inside the deckhouse. I made one for the Addison as well.

9-IMG_9631

And here's what it looks like inside the deckhouse.

13-IMG_9639

Once the roof is installed, the horn, some sort of ?smokestack and ?vent are installed. Weathering and rust applied to ship and then onto the rigging. The hardware for the rigging has been installed as well. This includes several eyebolts, 4 cleats and door / hatch handles. Unfortunately, I somehow lost the cleats that came with the kit. Luckily, I had some spares from a prior model that were close enough in size, so I used 2 of these that were slightly larger aft, and 2 from the Addison will be used forward. I also used smaller eyebolts as I felt the ones in the kit were a bit too large for the HO scale (full size would translate to a 10-inch eyebolt). And finally, the name was changed to "Golden Jewel." When researching ships of this size, the name is often on some sort of wooden or metal plaque attached to the hull. I reduced and printed a very small name and glued it to a thin wood strip, then glued this to the hull.

10-IMG_9635
    11-IMG_9636
    12-IMG_9637

Next post will be the rigging.

Jeff
  • That is an amazing job. I am now dreaming of crab legs!!
  • Your background in boats is definitely a plus here. Looking super cool.......Rick
  • Beautiful job.
  • Just catching up here...beautiful work! This is proving to be an amazing build and look forward to seeing it come together.
  • Fantastic job on the boat Jeff. I too look forward to seeing this come together.
  • Thanks all!

This has been a lot of fun so far. One more ship to go with this kit then onto The Shipyard. Once all the buildings are complete, I will start the layout and scenery - that's where I will need a lot of advice as it will be unlike anything I've done before. however the great build logs here will give me a good start. And I plan on adding some extras from Brett's 3-D printed details.

jeff
  • Nice work! Weathering is well done!
  • looks awesome!
  • Beautiful work on those boats!!

Jerry
  • Beautiful work here !!!
  • Greetings!

Here are some photos of my rigging for the Jewel. While the basic layout is similar to the plans, I used ropes from my ship modelling rather than those supplied. I did not want to tie the ropes directly to the eyebolts (exception here is the rope leading from the mast to the bow. Rather, I wanted to use turnbuckles. In researching similar such ships, I found that this was a reasonable way to attach the ropes. I tried making them from a small wooden dowel but was not feasible given the small scale. Luckily, I found a place online to get them.

4-IMG_9606

A small eyebolt was threaded through the central opening to give the final result. The kit supplied eyebolts can also be seen in the above photo. The kit had a unique way to simulate blocks, but as in the ship under repair (see a few posts earlier), I decided to use real blocks and rigging that seemed to make sense after looking at fishing vessel online. Final touch included a bunched-up fishing net at the stern (this was hammock netting leftover from a prior ship model).
    14-IMG_9667
    15-IMG_9668
    16-IMG_9669
    17-IMG_9670

And to finish it off, a small bird can be seen landing on the mast.

20-IMG_9679

And one final item. I found an online Canadian company that has many unique HO scale mini kits. Some were pretty cool and I could not resist. Here is one example, an old- time cigarette machine, placed under the steps of the Clam and Oyster building.
    21-IMG_9675

I'll show some of the other items as I complete them. Next up is the Addison.

Jeff
  • Wonderful work Jeff! The rigging just finishes it off beautifully. Nice paint peel!