visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Foss Landing and the Shipyard at Foss landing

Comments

• Shingles turned out nice.
  • Shingles look fantastic!
  • Roof turned out great. The shingle coloring is very good. The individual roof cap pieces really add to the detail.
  • Came out really nice...like the colors and tones of the shingles...
  • I will echo the above !!
  • Really like the colouring of the shingles. Nice work so far
  • Greetings!

Constructions resumes after a 2-week trip to Japan. After the Clam and Oyster Co building is complete, the basic wharf deck it sits on is constructed. The wharf is a single piece that is laser cut to simulate planks. two different sized planks are used to trim the edges (wire brushed and stained first). A template is provided to locate the center lines of the future pilings and the wharf braces. Once the braces are glued, the underside is painted green and the topside is weathered. Instructions called for Floquil concrete - i used a variety of chalks and some AI. Here is a photo of the Clam and Oyster Co on the dock.

IMG_9280

Next is the diorama base. As I am combining 2 kits this will be left for later as I plan to complete all the buildings and other structures first.

So onto the Foss Launch Co. First up is some advance prep such as was described with the previous building. No need to repeat that. The siding on this building is vertical vs horizontal as on the Oyster Co. These were detailed in a similar fashion. One interesting note is that no internal bracing was described for these walls so I decided to make some with leftover strip wood from prior ship models. These must be carefully placed so the wall will go together seamlessly when the trim is added to the edges of several of the walls. Here's the final result of the bracing:

IMG_8961

The walls are then weathered and I added some random knots. Again, rather than using paint, I used a variety of chalks and AI followed by a very light amount of white to simulate old white paint mostly weathered away to get to this:

IMG_9244

Some trim can be seen lining the freight doors. After the walls are trimmed, the signing is done more dry rub decals. I was worried about this given the age of the decals and difficulty with some of them on the Oyster Co. After doing some research, I decided to give Elmer's spray adhesive a try as I was not entirely satisfied with the double-sided tape described earlier. I think with larger signs the tape would be quite visible. I first tried this on a small "posted Keep Out" decal. These small decals from the Oyster Co building did not work with a variety of methods I tried earlier and there are plenty more of these small decals. Here's the result:

IMG_8962

Pretty good so far. Time to try it on a bigger sign: The "Foss Launch Co" and the "Tugs & Barges" sign. Each required several pieces of strip wood to be glued together then some stippled white. The area where the spray adhesive was to be applied was taped off.

IMG_8964

A light coat of the adhesive is all that is needed. The decal was then burnished onto the wood and ...

IMG_8965

A slight amount of yellowing on the Launch Co. sign, I believe, is from the decal paper. I was able to tone it down with a light brushing and some chalk. So how does this method work if the signs are to be placed directly on the building? The "fast boats for hire" sign goes to the left of the freight door. the entire wall was taped off except for the amount needed for the sign.

IMG_8969

And the result:

IMG_8970

Wish I had this figured out before I ruined the Coke and Pepsi signs (sigh). One other sign goes on this wall, placed onto several boards glued together. Here is the completed left wall of the Launch Co:

IMG_9243

Two more decal are placed directly on the walls. These can be seen on the photos below. The windows have also been placed. Construction is similar to the Oyster Co building. Some holes and cracks were placed and the windows dirtied up a bit.

IMG_9256
    IMG_9261
    IMG_9262

Next up were the doors - one regular door and six freight doors. The regular door has 2 pieces that come on the same sheet as the window. After prep, they are stuck together. I drilled a small hole and used a tiny nail to simulate a doorknob. It's still a bit bright so I need to weather it a bit. The freight doors had a base tan color and then finished with a variety of chalks - raw umber, grey, black, brown, rust. Curiously, all the right doors were missing the lower hinge. This was easily rectified with a small bit of wire.

IMG_9264

The doors were glued in place with 2 life preservers and the walls were then glued together, squaring them up as described before. Although not called for in the instructions, I decided to add some blinds to the windows. As suggested by Karl, rather than black I decided to go with a lighter color - the end result was a slightly dirty, streaky tan. Here are all 4 sides of the Foss launch Co. I think it turned out OK. One issue is the subtle shading on the white Boat-House sign that is a remnant of the spray adhesive. More noticeable in the photos than real life. I am not quite sure how to tone that down without causing damage to the sign or even it it needs it. Any comments / suggestions are, as always, appreciated.

IMG_9271
    IMG_9272
    IMG_9273
    IMG_9277

PS - you can see how some of the really small decals look using the spray adhesive on the photo above - note the no trespassing sign.

Next up, the roof

Jeff
  • Your Foss Launch sign background suggest it was painted white before the lettering was applied. I think it adds that touch of variance that adds to the story........Rick
  • edited May 2023
    Signs came out fantastic !
    Thanks so much for sharing your method and the solution for 20year+ signs and how to make them work and look great.
    As for the slight shadow around the "Boat House" sign in the last pic I really wouldn't worry about it, it looks natural and although slightly noticeable it does look as though it should be that way, as if the sign at one point had a darker background under the lettering.
    Some people (like me) would work for hours to get that effect... ha
    If it does still bother you then a 'slight' vertical swiping of the same coloured chalk you used for your wall base colour will blend it down some, this will also dull down the white of the lettering and age it slightly to match the peeled paint walls.
    I really dont think it's necessary but it's an option if it bothers you.
    Also, it's an easy option you can leave until later when you are much further along and things are together, you could revisit it and evaluate it then.

Wonderful work so far.
  • Great tutorial on salvaging embossed signs. Thanks for sharing. It is something I will have to remember.
  • Greetings!

Time to do the roof for the Launch Co. The shingles are similar to those of the Oyster Co thought they are given a green base and black, grey, off white are used to give the variation. The roof comes in 2 parts: the main section has the peak running the length of the building and is glued to the middle and right walls; there are 2 "wings" that are glued to the front and back walls.

1-IMG_9278

The process of laying the shingles down is the same as the Oyster Co except there are areas on the main roof that are left bare as they will be covered by the wings. Here is the roof with all sections shingled and glued on.

5-IMG_9290

Next, the shingles need to be placed on the valleys. Instructions call for a single long strip that comes from the sheet the shingles were on. I chose to cut small :shingles and apply individually. I think it gives a better look.

3-IMG_9288

The peaks were done in the same fashion. Final result:

7-IMG_9296

The flat roof comes next. This will be covered in tarpaper. A problem I noted was the width was too short.

8-IMG_9298

This was an easy fix - 1.5 mm wood plank was glued to each side to make up the difference. The "tarpaper" is applied much like the canvas awning on the Oyster Co. I went with a more tradition tarred roof that has been significantly faded by the sun. I also added a few patches to cover "leaks." Once the roof is glued on, a small stove pipe is added to the rear low wall and a finial is added to the peak of the green roof. A few more finishing touches of dirt and grime were added to the roof as well as some rundown from the stovepipe and finial to complete the structure. A few white blotches of "bird poop" were added to the green roof as well.

10-IMG_9307
    11-IMG_9308
    12-IMG_9309
    13-IMG_9310
    14-IMG_9311
    15-IMG_9312
    16-IMG_9313

The large dock for the Launch Co is next.

Jeff
  • You did a fantastic job of finishing those roofs, colouration and weathering is beautiful.

I love shingled roofs, both looking at them and doing them.

Yours looks amazing.
  • Great work Jeff - really looking good!
  • Nice work !!
  • Your shingled roof really does look amazing.....the tones and textures.....and the shadow lines...and that flat roof ain't t=shabby either....Nice....
  • Turned out great!
  • Greetings!

Thanks for all the wonderful comments. This has been an enjoyable kit thus far.
    Now onto the large dock. This is similar to the dock that the Oyster Co. sits on thought it is much bigger and comes in 2 parts. The 2 sections were glued together and then square stripwood was glued along the perimeter and the same was used for the cross beams. After I applied some chalk followed by AI, (similar to what I did with the other dock, this one developed some serious warping. I used gorilla glue and instructions called for epoxy. Maybe the problem came about if the alcohol leached through the dock and loosened the glue on the beams. This was the result:

1-IMG_9357

2-IMG_9358

IMG_9340

I thought there was no point in trying to salvage that, so, time to make a dock. Using leftover wood from prior ship models, the underside of the dock was made with 3x2 mm walnut. The template was a big help. The boards are made from 1/16 x 3/32 basswood and weathered following the Dr Grunge advance wood clinic (thanks Ken). Here is a photo of work in progress:

3-IMG_9359

IMG_9376

The boards are not yet completely finished with the weathering process. This will be done when all are in place. If I like the result, I may do the Oyster Co dock in a similar fashion. Here's what that look like now.

2-IMG_9280

Concurrent with building the dock, I have been working on the rowboat shed. I'll post those pictures in my next update.

Comment / suggestions always appreciated.

Jeff
  • Great recovery on using the wrong glue. Using the epoxy and allowing it to fully cure would have prevented the warp - but ultimately all that matters is the outcome and the docks going to look fantastic!
  • Great recovery Jeff. We shipbuilders often some “leftover” stock that comes in handy for the inevitable re-dos. I’m sure the train guys are the same!
  • I'm not sure about the good recovery as I have to make a new deck however it is coming along nicely. As I mostly build model ships, I rarely use epoxy for wood on wood as you never know when you have to de-bond something. Lesson learned and good to know that the wrong glue was the culprit.
    Grant - your log is great and will be an wonderful reference when I get to the Shipyard

jeff
  • edited June 2023
    So glad to see you have been able to resolve the situation with the dock, it is looking so good with the colours you chose and your construction looks perfect.

One thing I have learned after many years of building Brett's kits, and also being privileged enough to see a couple of them being developed is that, everything is specified for a reason.
    It has all been well researched and is used specifically in specific areas because it is the best solution for that situation.

To be honest (and this isn't aimed at you Jeff) ... the only time I've ever seen anyone have a real problem with a SierraWest kit is when they deviated.

I've said it at least 1000 times, and I'll say it again, "Follow the instructions and you'll end up with what is shown on the box.
  • gjdale said:

Great recovery Jeff. We shipbuilders often some “leftover” stock that comes in handy for the inevitable re-dos. I’m sure the train guys are the same!

Always with Brett's kits Grant, there is always quite a few strips of wood left over, and usually some details too....

• Great looking shingles. I liked the idea of the wire for the chimney well done.

Jerry
  • I love the work you did on the roofs. Nice colouring and finish.
  • Greetings!

As I complete the new dock, here is work on the rowboat shed. It is a rather delicate structure. The templates supplied with the kit were essential in construction. First photo shows a start with the 3 roof trusses and the walls. Scrap wood used to keep the wall studs lined up.
    IMG_9342 (1)

A little further along the side boards for the walls have been aged and applied. The front wall was to only have the rowboat brace, but I added a few boards at the bottom. Spacers used for ladder to keep distance between the side rails constant.

4-IMG_9360_jpg

The floorboards were then weathered and glued together. Small slots were cut to accommodate the wall studs and 2 cross braces were added to connect the walls. The trusses at each end sit on these braces with the third one midway. This photo shows most of that.

6-IMG_9367

Here is a close up of the rear wall:

7-IMG_9373

Beams to support the tarpaper roof are added next. I used a slightly wider beam for the lower and upper most beams.

5-IMG_9366

The tarpaper is prepared as described for the roof of the Launch Co. A few hooks are fashioned from the small brass rod supplied and glued to the studs. Some scrap boards are glued to the end trusses for support. Final result:

1-IMG_9384

2-IMG_9385

3-IMG_9386

4-IMG_9387

Jeff
  • Nicely done Jeff!
  • Looks great. Nice color on the boards !!
  • Weathering and color of the wood is great!
  • Jeff,
    As Roberts and Tom mentioned before: great wood colour.
    I still love the colour of the main building!!
  • Love the weathering on the wood. really nailed the faded grey.