visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Shipyard at Foss' Landing - Build Log

1789101113»

Comments

• I second the idea to add texture. It’s very easy to do and adds fantastic realism.
  • Thanks for the input Bryan, Brett and Al.

So I acquired some AK Water Gel Effects (AK8007) and applied this with an old fairly stiff brush. The effect I was looking for was that of a gentle breeze across the water surface, with the occasional clear patch of no breeze.

As this is my first attempt at this process, I would appreciate some further feedback and or guidance/tips to improve. Are the "wave lines" too distinct? Would I be better using a more "stippling" method to remove/reduce the line effect?

424 Water 4

425 Water 5

426 Water 6

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Grant

• The ripples look great.
  • I like the effect and am glad the AK product worked well for you.
  • Looks very good!
  • Grant, nice water surface!
    I can see the windless parts you tried to achieve and the moving water. Did you ever try out a straw or an airbrush to produce the ripple lines?
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. However, I got up this morning and just wasn't happy with the water - either the ripples or the smooth patches. So I did two more applications of the Water Gel Effects using a softer stencilling (I think) brush. My aim was to blend in/out the heavy parallel lines that could previously be seen, and also to remove the totally glass smooth areas. I'm happy with the results this time around and am going to call "done" at that. Here's a few shots of the final version of the water.

427 Water 7

428 Water 8

429 Water 9

430 Water 10

Final "glam" shots to come later today....

Grant
  • That second round looks great!
  • The water is MUCH better. Perhaps next time a little less blue.. Just my opinion... Overall a great diorama. Well done Grant !!!!
  • We experiment, we learn and we improve. The first version of the water was agood attempt at making something unique but it didn't quite work. The second version is more complimentary in color and it does not detract from the other work on shore.
  • Well done, Grant.
  • Softer brush did the trick!
  • Great job Grant.

Jeff
  • edited July 2023
    That all came together wonderfully, very well done indeed.
    The water looks much better now with a much more random surface. Well done for 'taking the plunge!' Came out great.
    A build to be very proud of.
  • Thanks very much Mike, Robert, Mitch, Jen, Al, Jeff and Karl. I didn't quite get around to posting the final set of "glam" shots yesterday, so here they are. There's quite a few, so I'll split them over a number of posts, starting with the overall "spin" shots.

431 Overview 1

432 Overview 2

433 Overview 3

434  Overview 4

435 Overview 5

436 Overview 6

437 Overview 7

438 Overview 8

Continued next post...
  • Continued from previous post...

Some of the "scenes".

The Ship Under Construction

439 The Ship

The Yard Master (studying the plans)

440 The Yard Master

The Steam Box

441 The Steam Box

442 Steam Box 2

The Upper Yard Shed

443 The Upper Yard Shed

The Derrick Dock

444 Derrrick Dock 1

445 Derrick Dock 2

446 Derrick Dock 3

Continued next post...
  • edited July 2023
    Continued from previous post...

The Saw Shed

447 Saw Shed 1

448 Saw Shed 2

449 Saw Shed 3

450 Saw Shed 4

The Sales Office

451 Sales Office 1

452 Sales Office 2

453 Sales Office 3

454 Sales Office 4

Continued next post...
  • Continued from previous post...

The Loading Dock

455 Loading Dock 1

456 Loading Dock 2

457 Loading Dock 3

The Main Dock

458 Main Dock 1

459 Main Dock 2

460 Main Dock 3

461 Main Dock 4

462 Main Dock 5

463 Main Dock 6

That completes the series of "glam" shots and brings this project to its conclusion. I would like to thank Brett for designing and producing such a wonderful kit and excellent instruction manual, as well as for being there for support along the way.

I'd also like to thank once again both Karl Allison and Ken Karns for the very valuable tutorial/discussion threads that they took the time and effort to produce. These were a great addition to the already excellent instructions.

And finally, I'd like to thank all of you who have followed along with the journey, offering support, encouragement and advice along the way. It's been an interesting and enjoyable diversion into this style of modelling and I've learnt much through the process. I have another of Brett's kits to do - Foss's Landing - but I've got a ship or two to build first. I'll be back with another build log in due course.

Thanks again,

Grant
  • It was a real pleasure to follow the build of this magnificant diorama Grant. Great pics as well !!! Thanks for sharing with us.
  • This is a big, intricate build and you’ve pulled it off with precision and detail. Great job. I’m sure to refer to your work when I start my Shipyard kit.
  • Very nice looking build!