visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Stump Creek Lumber Tool Shed

13»

Comments

• Looks great Steve, really enjoying watching this all come together.
  • Thanks Karl, Ken and Brett. I really appreciate the feedback from great modelers. Looking at the picture I see that the interior wall and window frame could use a little more work as well. The window should have at least a center frame piece and I may redo that broken glass. It was my first try at broken glass and it just doesn't look as good as I've seen on this forum. If anyone has any advice on broken glass modeling, any help would be appreciated.

I cut the top off one of Brett's tank to have a valve cap sitting on the bench. I plan on making a T-handle valve wrench with small tubing to put next to it on the bench. Then, I just need to find a way to make a universal valve flat wrench.
  • Nice added detail. Looks like something that could be
  • Looks great !
  • Oops! Meant to say looks like something that could be 3D printed!
  • Those colours..... awesome! And the details on that table are great, as if you could pick the up any moment!
  • Great looking bench
  • Steve, the model is coming along beautifully. Love the colouring and texture of the "concrete" and the tank.
  • Hey Steve, you are doing a great job on this. Keep up the pictures. Fun to see what is going on with it.
  • Finally got a few minutes at the bench again after too many weeks away. I built a floor for the tool shed out of coffee stir sticks. I like the random size and rough dimensions of the sticks, that I felt are fitting for a backwoods shed floor. I used a very thin piece of paper to hold them together then glued three of the walls together to hold them in place This made a nice platform to add the details. Speaking of which, I have a bench full of details to fill the interior all in various stages of paint and weathering that I hope to get in the interior this week. In the mean time, I couldn't help putting in the work bench and finishing a few barrels using Brett's weathering instructions to get a head start on the interior.

I tried a new product for the nail holes and the oil spill, Tamiya lacquer paints. They have a semi-transparent paint called Smoke that has a silvery dark gray petroleum look to it and it is easy to thin making the oil spill and runs on the barrels.

tempImageuPTXB9

I made a little tool out of a sewing needle and dipped it in their Dark Iron and made the nail holes. Because of the thin nature of the paint, you can wipe it with your finger if you get too much paint in the hole. In my opinion, it provided some detail without making the nail holes too pronounced.

tempImageQWVmdP
  • edited September 2022
    Looking good Steve, it's coming together nicely.
    I also use a sewing needle, but, I have it in a small, spare pin vise. A good option for O'scale. Just be careful of the colouring 'wicking' too much and making them appear too big.
    I built my Oscale Shelbys out of coffee stirrers, they worked quite well, quite a few years ago now.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of those details you're working on filling up that space... the oil drips look good.
  • Thanks for the advice Karl. I agree with the potential for wicking. Usually I just add nail holes with a needle and let the weathering bring out the detail. This was interesting because I just touched the pin tip to the paint cap then pressed the hole. The paint on the needle point was minimal and because the lacquer is a thin semi-transparent I could wipe it away with my finger if I didn't like it. I was looking for something a little different for the larger size nail that would hold this rough type of wood flooring. I'm not sure if I would ever use it on a wall, so caution is always the watch word when trying nail holes. I agree its easy to get out of scale quickly.
  • this little shed is looking fantastic.
  • The oil stain is very convincing.
  • Nail holes are just that...lol....I'm working on scale nails....