visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Stump Creek Lumber Tool Shed

Comments

• They will look good together. I like the variation with the paint job.
  • Looks great so far.
  • Looks fantastic, great combo!
  • I didn't quite finish all the detailing on the back wall tonight. I put in the windows and added a few details and signs. I need to touch up some of the weathering and finish the nail holes but I thought I would post what I had to keep the progress rolling. I trimmed some fine strip wood for the window props and freelanced a well worn ladder. The fuel tank and gas pump will be sitting under the signs.

tempImagelBvNaP
  • Nice color on that wall !!
  • I've been traveling on business but was able to squeeze in a little modeling tonight.
    I finished constructing the sliding doors for the front wall. I need handles, hangers and the track. I will model them in the open position so that the inside can be lighted and detailed.

tempImageAcVkkM

I then tried my hand at modeling an outside light fixture with LED lighting for the door wall. I shaped a piece of .028 tubing added a shade, wall plate and LED light and while that all sounds fairly straight forward, the small size tube which necessitated very small wire and the miniature LED made for an interesting and tedious night. But I'm happy I gave it a try (something I wasn't saying three hours ago) and should have an easier time with the inside light fixtures. I also added a piece of strip wood inside as an additional support for the light tubing and it looks like another fire stop between the studs. I felt I needed more than the siding as support.

I've added a picture with and without lighting. If you've been following the thread, you'll see I moved the Pepsi sign to this side of the building and will be putting the soda machine under it. The far wall now has a Texaco sign for what will be the nearby Wayne gas pump.

tempImagey9DTsg

tempImageEICvq1
  • Nice job on the light fixture Steve. Great to hear you will be lighting and detailing the interior. This adds a great level of visual interest and depth to the project. Look forward to your progress.
  • Looking great Steve, I’m really enjoying your build.
  • Turned out Great! Especially like the double doors.
  • The double doors turned out great.
  • I decided to take a break from the walls and move to the fuel storage tank. I'm trying something new by covering the bottom of the mold with 80 grit sandpaper to give a rough texture to the aged concrete. I also pieced the mold boards together to add form seams to the side. I'm not sure about the form lines but I like the look of the textured finish. I need to add cracks and weather.

tempImagevo8hWx

tempImagebK41dK

While the plaster was drying, I fabricated the stand and weathered it. I hated to hide those weathered boards, so I thought it would be logical that the fuel tank could have two I beams underneath to reinforce the tank. I cut two pieces of Evergreen .080 channel. This raises the tank and lets some of the boards be seen.

tempImageZFra5Z

tempImageo38rUJ

Next step is to weather the tank and add the hose. I've already blackened some .063 diameter solder for the hose.
  • edited August 2022
    You're doing a fantastic job with this Steve.
    The wall with doors is fantastic.
    Light is going to be such a wonderful addition.
    The tank platform and concrete base came out really nice.
    I use the sand paper, (and a few other things :wink: ) in the base of molds too to create texture in the castings.

As a side note, the best and most realistic way to create cracks in that 'concrete' base is to break the base into several pieces where required/desired and then use 'yellow glue' to glue the casting back together, you will get the most realistic cracks that way, also some minor missing pieces and jagged edges as in reality. (dont use too much glue so that it oozes out up onto the surface.)
    I always find scratching the cracks in or drawing them on the surface results in them being out of scale and unrealistic.

Keep up the wonderful work.
  • The sandpaper made a nice texture. I've used other materials also but not this. I'll give it a try.
  • Nice update Steve! Love the tank stand and the tank is going to look terrific.
  • With Brett's instructions and Karl's encouragement, I broke the plaster up, weathered it with powders and put it back together. It was my first time at doing something like that. I also heavily weathered the storage tank using alcohol and chalks, another first. I tried taking the picture in various types of light but the weathering looks harsher than what it is. The hose is blackened solder with plastic strip ends to represent the fittings. There was a lot of firsts in this little project and I'm not 100% sure this is the best but I decided to post anyway.

tempImageQKbJp0

tempImageYyMS3t
  • edited August 2022
    Cracked base is perfect !!

As always Brett's instructions are the best and always deliver the results when followed.
  • Love the concrete base. Texture and color are just right.
  • Karl - you are right. Brett has done a masterful job with his instructions. Each kit acts as a series of modeling seminars and for me they just keep getting better. I was fortunate to purchase the Mill Engine and Boiler House years ago when it first came to market. The instructions and resin/metal castings were second to none back then and Brett continues to elevate the bar with each new kit.

Thanks Bryan! I'm going to install this on my diorama base next and see if I can't improve it just a bit. While I'm at it, I'm going to finish the gas pump and add a few more details to this little scene before getting back to the Tool Shed itself.
  • Nice job on the cracked concrete technique Karl outlined…looks just as intended!
  • That whole scene is really nice! Concrete turned out great and the rusting on the tank really shows the rust textures.
  • Wow! That looks absolutely amazing. I really like the colors. And as said by others; that concrete platform is superbly done! Following this with interest, keep up the great work!
  • Thanks everyone for the positive comments on the tank and foundation. I still want to do a bit more detail weathering.
    I'll be traveling on business the next few days so I was trying to get the tank subassembly in place tonight. However, I wanted to put NBW castings on the diagonal supports for the platform which lead to me replacing all the diagonal supports from the original incarnation of the platform with a more realistic layout of the diagonals. After replacing all those with the platform in place, I added the NBW castings which always takes longer than I think even with drilling pilot holes.
    When that was done I got the tank foundation in place but ran out of time to finish up the weathering and to get started on the gas pump. I'll hope to be back at it by the weekend. I've included a picture of the tank foundation in place and the NBW's and new braces on the platform.

tempImageSjWg4L
  • Well that certainly turned out fantastic!
  • Thank you Brett. It means a lot coming from you. Building your kits, studying the instructions and conversing with the great team on this forum, makes ever day a learning as well as most enjoyable experience. Just received another batch of 3D parts last night including the hangers. Thank you! I’m sure many of the new 3D parts will be showing up on this build. So exciting!!
  • That’s going to be a fantastic scene. Your tank and platform are well done and will provide a perfect base for all the details to come.
  • steve,
    your broken foundation and tank could pass for 1:1. very nice job on the slab and the tank looks perfectly crusty.
  • Great work. Looks fantastic !!
  • Tonight was my first opportunity to get back to the modeling bench after several weeks of business travel. I am starting with the interior details for the Tool Shed. I wanted to make a rack to hold the oxygen and acetylene bottles that are part of the new 3D detail parts. I used styrene plate and tube to build the rack. I cleaned up all the joints after this picture was taken.
    tempImageTPfoW6

While I was waiting for the primer to dry on the rack and the bottles, I made a work bench to mount next to the racks. I used one of Brett's resin cast 4-drawer work benches but eliminated one drawer and shortened the top to fit the side wall of the shed.

tempImageuUp0UT

I have a few more details to add to the bench and I want to hang an oxy-acetylene hose. The bottle rack needs the weathering finished, the bottles to be painted and a couple of chains added to hold the bottles in place. More to do, but at least it was good to get back to modeling.
  • edited September 2022
    Nice adaption of the bench Steve, also great colouring of the resin bench top casting to match/blend with the wood wall behind it and wooden legs below it, seamless. The details on top are sharp and crisp.
    I'm interested to see how the tank rack turns out, looking good so far.
  • Nice work Steve and love your creative detail work.