visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Stump Creek Lumber Tool Shed

I was so excited to see Brett's new O Scale kit, the Water Tank & Handcar Maintenance sheds, that I immediately got one on order. While I was waiting for Brett to complete and ship the kit, I decided to finally start on my unbuilt Sierra West Tool Shed. It looked like the perfect structure to sit on the tracks next to the water tank. I've cut a base to fit both structures and got started on the Tool Shed.

I want to use the Tool Shed to show off some of Brett's new 3D printed details that I have on order so I modified the front wall to use two of the large sliding door from the side wall. I will leave these in the open position so that I can detail the interior and use a couple of LED lamps.

tempImageO9CHGr

I cut out the existing studs and replaced them with a header and relocated studs.
tempImageZKjDam

tempImageMnpvct

I modified the side wall to replace the relocated sliding door with a man door.
tempImagejeFdWK

I used Brett's technique for weathering strip wood by scribing grain, adding nail holes and using pastel chalks. I won't go into the detail as it has been described previously in the forum.
tempImageI28b2o

I utilized Brett's damp brushing technique to add a white peeled paint to the structure.The white doesn't
t show as well in the picture as it does on the strip wood.
tempImagefFkBgy

Comments

• I've added the siding to the first wall.
    tempImage9qiH3d
  • Fantastic! Love the peeled paint. Great idea making the tool shed and water tank neighbors. Can't wait to see them together.
  • Great Start Steve, I like your ideas and the steps you have taken so far.

Looking forward to following along on this one.
  • Now that’s some good lookin’ wood, Steve

Terry
  • I like the idea. Keep the pics coming. Fun to see progress on this one.
  • Great looking first wall Steve! Look forward to seeing the others come together. Congrats on securing the new kit to go along with your current project.
  • Thank you all for the positive reinforcement. It's been awhile since I've tackled this level of modeling and this is such a great group of modelers it can be intimidating, but you have made me feel right at home.

I finished getting the siding on the other three walls. After looking at the pictures, I see I have a bit of fuzz to clean up and a few more nail holes and cracks to add. I'll get that done next then its on to the windows and doors.

tempImageSgW9Hi

tempImageKzo1JA

I decided to include a picture of the inside of the walls. Brett's laser cut framing is one of the many features that makes Sierra West Models the best and most detailed models. I can't wait to get these walls filled with both new and old Sierra West castings.

tempImage53MugY

• The walls look great. I also love the idea that you make it your own by modifying some parts and adding lights so the inside is more visible. I also do that because I feel a lot of the beautiful details can't be seen without some proper lights inside the structures. Nice work so far !!
  • Looking forward to seeing this come together.
  • I really like the interior wall appearance. Nice job keeping the paint off the interior of the boards.
  • Weathering and texturing of the walls turned out really nice. Great start!
  • Thank you Robert and I'm really looking forward to lighting the inside of the shed to show off the details. By the way, I just received my box of 3D parts in the mail today. Trying to stay focused on the structure is difficult. They look even better then the pictures and that is saying a lot.

Thank you, brownbr, Ken and Tom for the positive comments. I really appreciate the feedback.

I was hoping to get the two side walls complete tonight but life got in the way. I did get one wall completed and at least assembled the door for the other side wall so I thought I would post those to keep this build moving.
    tempImageskKlb8

tempImageldV620
  • Good eye for detail. The rust on the sign and the streaks under it , at the right place, are good!
  • Nice looking wall Steve and that sign looks great! Is the inside sash missing the mullions?
  • I try to be thoughtful about the signs I use so that they are appropriate for the era and their use on the specific building. I struggled with using the Pepsi sign but I liked the look on this wall. The era of the sign works for me and I rationalized that the Company could sell Pepsi off the dock of the shed. The real bonus is that it gives me the opportunity to use Brett's soda machine, crate and bottles on the dock.

Ken - that is an interesting thought on the lower window mullions. The lower sash as provided in the kit does not have mullions. However, that could add a bit more detail to the window. I'm going to investigate adding some strip wood mullions. Interesting idea!
  • Ahh...no that’s perfectly good...provides unobstructed view out lower sash. If designed that way I like it!
  • Steve.
    I lived id a house built in 1740 amd a add on in 1860 the windows in the older part of the house were 12 over 12 top and bottom the newer pari had 8 over 8 just on the top so with that being said the one pice of glass was expensive but that was very popular at the time....Carl........
  • I thought 8 over 8 meant 8 panes on the top sash and 8 on the bottom? How do you have 8 over 8 just on the top? Typo maybe
  • Well Ken.
    The top sash was 8over8 the bottom sash was one sheet of glass just like the windows in this kit.
  • Wall turned out really nice. Like the knots and the peeling paint affect.
  • edited August 2022
    I had a comment but decided to delete
    Terry
  • I had a comment but decided to delete
    Terry

dontcha hate that?
  • Steve, it's really looking great.
  • I wanted to complete the other side wall tonight but the best laid plans don't always come together. I somehow had the door opening too wide for the door so I had to start the night by modifying the wall framing. Then I spent more time than I should trying to select a font for the lumber company sign that I thought would fit the 1930's era. And finally I may have over rusted the Texaco sign. I want the sign to tie into the gas pump which will also be Texaco pump. I think it will tone down with some castings stacked around it. I just set the primed shelf casting on the wall to see how it would look. Anyway despite all that, it's at least some progress.

tempImagekcyjSx

tempImagexKRDcL
  • Looks great Steve! The sign doesn’t look over weathered, a little heavy on the rust streaking though, subtle here is the key. Like you stated, once the details are added to the scene it’s all good. Well done.
  • I agree about the rust streaks. I think I can take some alcohol and thin them out.
  • Looking Great Steve.
    You could use some grey and white chalk (depending on the underlying board) on a fine detail brush on the edges of the streaks to blend/fade the edges into the boards and thus reduce their size and contrast.

Nice work so far.
  • I think you are doing a great job. Paint is done very well.
  • I took a slight diversion this weekend. I was thinking about the diorama base that would fit the tool shed. I wanted an area of maintenance and support for the Stump Creek Lumber Railroad next to the new water tank kit. I previously had built a platform for the Dueling Shacks Wood shack which I started a few years back on this forum. The project stalled out. I thought maybe it stalled because the platform was too big for the shack. That little shack was intended to be part of my Railroad Camp scene. So with that in mind, I took that platform, filled in the ramp section and took some length off the trackside. The length of the base gives me an opportunity to use the corrugated shack from the Dueling shacks kit with room for a road in between. I had to add a piece of foam to the back of the base for additional depth for the fuel tank. Here's the mockup.

tempImage7E55h3

I also notched the platform and added a staircase and railing.

tempImage9gnGsJ

Now that I have a plan, I'll get back to finishing the tool shed and the surrounding details.
  • Nice combination.