visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Truck Repair, a first try

Comments

• Very nice.

Check the end of the hose hanging on the wall...it looks funny pointing to the left. If it's solder, bend it down slightly. You'll probably need to squish the center in a bit also to get the wall to fit in place.
  • brownbr said:

Very nice.

Check the end of the hose hanging on the wall...it looks funny pointing to the left. If it's solder, bend it down slightly. You'll probably need to squish the center in a bit also to get the wall to fit in place.

Yes you are right, I need to rework this hose a bit...
  • Thank you all for your encouragements
  • The hose is simply excited. Let it go at that and stop staring!
  • Hahaha
  • Tonight, more work and equipment installation
    mur interieur 2
    mur droit interieur
  • Wonderful. The details are coming together so well.
  • Hello Guys,

I have a little problem with one of the long walls... It is a little bent, curved (after drying I guess). Do you have a magic trick to fix it?

Thanks
  • It will straighten out once the walls are glued together and especially after the structure is glued to the base and the roof trusses installed. Just be sure to make any adjustments as you glue the structure down and add the trusses.
  • Ok thanks Brett
  • Thanks for this tip. I will see first if I can slightly bend the wall and glue it in place. Otherwise I will try some heat...
  • I continue on detailing as depicted in the documentation
    assemblage
    mur fond
    mur gauche 2
  • That is looking right nice. The painting detail is wonderful.
  • Your detail work and painting is very good. Good job. Phil
  • First try? You've got it down!.......Rick
  • Patrick, as others have said, this is outstanding work for your first go at it. Since you are operating at a high level to begin with I think you can take this to the next level very quickly. A couple of things that I really like are the slight wave in the tarpaper, the dirt accumulation around the drawer handles, the way you have colored the parts bin and the parts inside.

A couple of very minor things that jump out to me that would take your work to the next level. I'll use the last photo as an example: the blue and orange/rust can stick out to me. Ask yourself if you want to focus attention here or do you want them to blend in. If blend in, try using some chalk to tone down the color or use more muted colors. Some of the signs on the walls could have the edges colored...the Goodrich tires is an example. I like to use brown marker for this. The boxes on the top shelf look like they are sitting on another detail. If so, disregard: if not, there is something propping up the edge. Lastly, don't hesitate to put some details on top of details. For example, I imagine workers might put small bits like bottles or tools on top of the boxes on the top shelf.

Keep up the good work.
  • Thank you for those interesting tips. I will try to rework the scene a bit...
  • edited July 2020
    By the way, thank you all for your encouragements. Yes this is my first try in O scale, but I have done few things in N scale already... I don't master techniques but I am familiar with some of Brett has mentioned.
  • I have redone some weathering and added details:
    crowbar, sledgehammer, bottle... Might need a bit more paint here and there...
    details2
  • A build to be proud of for sure. You are going to be so pleased with it at the end that you will want to build more. Consider yourself warned :wink:
  • My two cents. Get everything on the walls before it's a 3d object. Makes life sooo much easier... you can probably guess how i learned that one...

The crow bar ect add that last little bit bryan was talking about.

I've got the first 2 walls done. So, i'm able to look at your photos as a prelude as to what is coming. :wink:.

I'm contemplating using the signs ect. Until now i haven't....
  • brownbr said:

A build to be proud of for sure. You are going to be so pleased with it at the end that you will want to build more. Consider yourself warned :wink:

I am already thinking about the next one ;)
  • Nice work Patrick. Knot holes are always a bit tricky.
  • Very well done! I especially like the signs. You have done a really nice job with details too. The weathering on the walls also give the feeling of a dusty grungy workshop. Great job!
  • Looks great. I really like the toned down colors. A great build so far.
  • edited July 2020
    Hello,

More time for the job and less for the train :neutral:
    Anyway, today I started to put some details in the shed... It is not even dry, we can see some spot of glue...

details4
    details3
    details1
  • Looking good! Rick
  • Starting to come to life. Looks nice. What did you use for your groundcover base?
  • edited July 2020
    brownbr said:

Starting to come to life. Looks nice. What did you use for your groundcover base?

It is a mix of:
    Scenic Express - Earth Blend
    Woodland Scenic - Fine gray ballast
    Woodland Scenic - Fine brown ballast
    Unknown - fine turf (weeds color)
    I am not necessarily 100% satisfied with it but I will rework it a bit (draw path in front of entrances, add more weeds, etc...)