visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Brass and Iron Foundry Build

Comments

• Finished the rest of the shed walls. Starting to really itch for part two so I can assemble these buildings and weather them up.rsz_img_6317
  • Fantastic! Love the exposed wood. Texture of the tarpaper is wonderful.
  • Like the faded weathered door and the cracked but not broken out window...door lighter at bottom darker towards the top...
  • Thanks Brett, Ed and Ken. Finished up the lining on the shed door and the windows on the shed. Added some hinges for the windows out of old wire. A bit oversized but they work for me.rsz_img_6318
    rsz_img_6323
  • Fabulous. The hinges really aren't out of scale.

Rick
  • they are just right
  • Everything looks great. Phil
  • Texture and color of the wood is great! Really like how the garage door is weathered.
  • Finished the roof but then realized that likely part two will include all the rafters so I will likely rebuild the roof with all the individual boards and then use tissue paper to get the texture and rot to show through. I will have this as my spare. I used the uneven ends of the newsprint and just quickly ran it along the woodburner to give a worn/shrivelling appearance and get rid of any of the paper fibers sticking out. I think I can do better but it was an interesting idea so I thought I'd share.rsz_img_6315
  • Added a small door handle (HO 2X6 painted black) and some wear to the door jambs and flooringrsz_img_6320
  • The added details work well.
  • Love the worn edges of the roof paper.

Rick
  • Joel, looking great. One item to consider. If the door is one that operates like a pocket door and slides to the right, I would make the same scrapping marks you have at the bottom of the door on the other parts of the door. However, the part causing the "scrapping" may only be on the bottom. Just a thought. Phil
  • Thanks all and Phil I like the idea and will try to add some more damage. Just winding down now and putting a few more details on the walls.rsz_img_6322
  • I like the worn boards and the peeling paint. Just enough to be natural and convincing.
  • Outstanding work Joel.....I really like the coloration on the repair shop.....I'm anxiously waiting for the next installment to continue on.....
  • Last pic and then I too am waiting for the next instalment. Very excited about it.rsz_img_6336
  • Looks fantastic Joel.

Rick
  • The above picture is the money shot Joel!...sweet modeling my friend. PS...Love the rusted metal effect you got on the track rail!!!!
  • Havent read the whole thread yet, but, dang, that last pic of the wall is just fantastic work.
    Broken panes look so good and 'natural', another instance of Joel's thought process paying off dividends.
  • I really like how the weathering on the door turned out.
  • These will serve as a great foundation for the rest of the build. Great job.
  • Thank you you all so much for the comments. Pretty much learned it all building Sierra West kits and hanging out with you guys.

Ken the technique for the rusted metal track I also learned from one of Brett's manuals. Apparently people didn't love the effect but it is so simple and straight forward it is my go to for most rust.

Dark brown/black paint. Let it dry and then add a few spots of dark brown oil paint then orange chalk blotted on so it sticks to the oil paint and gives a fine texture. You can also use a burnt sienna paint and dab on some brown chalk. Only problem is waiting a few days to a week for the paint to dry before touching it. Also I use water mixable oil paint so there is no smell or need for turpentine.
  • Beautiful Joel.

Jerry
  • Just got news that part 2 is about ready to go. The myriad of fantastic new castings and 3D prints is staggering. So many amazing little scenes to work on. So excited to inject some life into this build and get back to modelling.
  • Looking forward to it!!

Jerry
  • Great news for sure Joel! Cant wait to see you detail those 3D parts and integrate them into your build. Back here for some stellar modeling...
  • Cant wait for your progress on the next stage of this amazing kit, definitely looking forward to your results on the new parts and learning from you as you go.