visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Brass and Iron Foundry Build

Comments

• Good job all around, especially the broken glass. Phil
  • The glass looks naturally broken. Good job.
  • I like it.
  • well done!
  • A day of busy work spray painting the roofing materials and walls. Also stained the boards for the repair shop and damp brushed them. Also wanted to show some boards under the tarpaper like Ken did on his build so added some 2x10's where I thought they may be required.rsz_img_6294
    rsz_img_6296
    Now to sort the stripwood and start boarding up the walls.
  • Just a short update on my roofing experiment. I am always trying to find a fine texture for shingles and roofing paper. I decided to try something new with the asphalt shingle. Instead of painting after installation I just painted the sheets and hope to get a bit more randomness and will try and glue it on on the weekend. The problem is always getting a bit of texture. I've never been luck with using sand and paint although that has worked well for others I think I need finer sand. What I did instead was to put the shingles on the garage floor and then climbed on a chair and used a spray paint from about 8 feet above the shingles. This allows the paint to partially dry before hitting the paper. I used two different black paints and sprayed for about 5 seconds of each. I let that dry and then repeated 4-5 times until the shingles were black but rough. I then did a short blast of grey and voila:rsz_1img_6298
    Looks a bit brown because of the lighting but it actually is a very dark grey.

Really pleased with this easy technique. BTW it works way better if the the paint is warm and the garage is too.
  • I like that idea! I may need to spread out quite a few newspapers, though.
  • Boarded up 2 of the walls. Using the stencils was quite easy as described. My sign ended up a bit too vivid so I gently brushed it with the soft wire brush (looks like a toothbrush) and it faded it beautifully. rsz_img_6299
    rsz_img_6301
    My only issue is the colour of the "peeling paint" it does some weird stuff to my brain because it is so closed to wood colour sometimes when I look at it it looks just like faded wood and sometimes I see it as peeling paint. Bit of an optical illusion to me. I love the effect but if I wanted a peeling paint effect I think I would be better off with a brighter white white. Hopefully I'll finish off the walls and start the roofs this weekend.
  • Wire brush to the rescue. Great technique. Looks fantastic.

Rick
  • Excellent progress....I did similar to my stencil with the 0000 steel wool....
  • Turned out good.
  • Joel, the asphalt shingles look good. Just don't fall off that chair!!! Phil
  • I see what you are saying about the paint effect. At first glance it looks like weathered wood, but upon closer inspection the peeling paint effect does show nicely. It probably looks better in real life that in the photo. Sometimes weird things happen in photos.
  • Joel very nice. The lettering is perfect.

Jerry
  • Here's my roof, 1/2 done. I wanted an older shingled roof that needs to be replaced. I ran a woodburner along each shingle strip (even more dangerous than standing on the chair). Pretty pleased with the texture and decay. Needs some more weathering and a bit of lichen but should be a nice contrast to the newer office building roof.rsz_img_6303
  • Well done Joel.
  • i've replaced shingles (in a past life that look just like those. nice technique.
  • shingles look fantastic!
  • Turned out nice.
  • Thanks all but I've never had an easier time putting on shingle. Pretty much all done for you except a bit of glue and a bit of time (with a woodburner).
  • Joel.
    Some great new techniques for adding details to roof shingles. Another technique to add to our modeling repertoire.
    Thanks, Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Shingles look good....
  • Thanks gents. I'm really pleased with the final result even before weathering. I worked on the pattern shop roof. Pretty straight forward. Needs more weathering but I'll leave that until it is in place.rsz_img_6311
  • Hey Joel! The results do appear very similar and any would work well IMHO. I keep going back to the first but that may be that it appears to be the best picture!lol. What makes all of them is your wood graining...nicely done. I love your attention to the wood Joel...name of the game.
  • Ken I agree the wood finish is the basis for everything that comes later. Worth spending a bit of time trying to get it right.
    I worked on the shed walls today. I used the same grey weathered wood as the battens on the pattern shop roof. Still have to finish the windows and weather the tar paper. rsz_img_6313
  • It already looks great. Can only get better.
  • You achieved the look you wanted. Great job.
  • I like it. You could split a batten or 2 and it would fit in on this wall.