visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale Foundry....

124»

Comments

• Once I touch up the obvious....I will take some better shots....there is not enough details in the photos to do the work any justice....Then it's into the plastic storage tub till the next installment arrives.....Tomorrow....the Diorama...
  • Very cool seeing it all together.
  • Yes it is....I needed some actual measurements to see how it will fit the layout space...I just wish the photos were better though....working on that...I can't wait for the actual foundry building to arrive....it's going to be....large....And to assure everyone.....none of the walls are glued....just tape holding them together for the photo.....
  • Brett...Thank you for your approval....this is a great project and I anxiously....yet patiently await the coming installments.....
  • Great job so far. The shed turned out great.
  • Nice to see this part together. Rather impressive even it is not finished and this is only a part of the whole project. Looks good so far.
  • I was concerned over the size...I need to visualize the width of the peninsula this is going on the layout....that affords almost 360 degree viewing....no details get hidden....just need to try and stay in the 24" wide zone.....can go bigger if needed.....I need to actually draw out what's in my head so I can get input from you guys...
  • Will the peninsula have rail? Will the rail curve into a return loop of just a spur line? Spur line I believe you will have the room. Return loop probably not.
  • I'm looking at only a spur line...it will probably hold a few other structures also....I need to sit down and sketch out my layout....
  • Nothing new...just a shot of my roof for the repair shop...….sprayed with matte black...then a dusting of Krylon Cement paint......it has the color I wanted...and the texture.....weathering will come later....
  • And yes...the ridge cap is not there....
  • Looks great.
  • Great part of the build when things start to come together and you get a "feel" for how it's going to look...allows a bit of forward planning which is a whole bunch of fun as well..
  • I tend to sit and stare at the structure for a while......and let my mind wander to what it needs to look like...
  • Sometimes mistakes can turn into good things.....other times....not so much
  • I often over-think things, so please forgive me if this is an obvious question. On page 9 of the instructions, step 4 of "Adding Details to Stripwood" says "Repeat and add these details to all of the pieces as described." Does "all of the pieces" refer to the 5 or 6 pieces in step 1, or all of the 8" pieces of stripwood?

I have not done the saw banding technique and have only done a few knotholes on other projects. Left to myself, I think I would put saw banding on 10-15% of the total boards and knot holes in 20-25%. Does that sound right?
  • I would go a bit higher percentage of knot holes a bit because you will be cutting these into smaller boards, thus reducing the percentage of knots. Otherwise a good percentage.

Rick
  • engine909 said:

Personally I like to attempt a result where you eye does not go to one thing every time. Now do I accomplish this, hell no. J

Perhaps you could share some of your results here, there are many very skillful eyes here that may be able to give you some ideas.

• I couldn't agree more.
  • Hoping to get back to the shop soon....been overly busy building a shed ( 1:1 scale) and by days end I'm too tired to concentrate on details.....looks like the work will be done in a week of so....and the basement is at least 10 degrees cooler even without the AC...
  • Nice start Muddy. I'm going to enjoy your build.

Geezerbill
  • Thanks....got a little done last night...camera was dead....some more hopefully today and some photos...
  • Came home from the National Narrow Gauge Convention in Hickory to find a Sierra West delivery...Kit 314B......photos in the morning...into the shop tomorrow night.....
  • No photo's as of yet as I am having issues getting them to post...but there is some progress on the bench...even though it's not in the plans....I'm starting a base for this as it needs to find a space on the layout....and be a diorama for potential contest entry too....