visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale Foundry....

Comments

• Got mine! I’ll savor the package until you geniuses tell me how best to begin. Who’ll do the official thread? I’m going to do mine together with O’Neills – but what orientation? The boss suggests side by side, O’Neills still providing some recycled oil. I wondered about back-to-back (no one will know which side to look at). I might have 2 tracks between for a better view, perhaps a current, functional, branch line and a second, abandoned one. What think you? The problem is, to me, it doesn’t seem likely that RR right-of-way would have allowed such business proximity. I’ve yet to start O’Neills, procrastinating while I weather 200 Fast-Track ties and squint at 400 Proto:87 code 83 tie plates.
  • Thanks Ken....don't want to weather too much till I get the other structures at least started....but I did get it along to a certain point...the fact you like it makes me feel like I'm going the right way. I am doing the doors and windows a medium gray as opposed to the same color as the walls...just on a whim...….TomTom....back in the day these business would have been built...the railroads didn't seem to have too much control...you should see some of the tracks running down streets in the metro area of NY and NJ....some would make you shudder they came so close to buildings...and in some cases...went right thru some....Its your world...so unless you are following a prototype....go for what looks good to you....Here's a few more photos...
  • edited April 2020
    And no...it's not glued together yet.....that happens with the next box of goodies from Brett....I just mocked it together with some tape....windows and doors tomorrow......will also wait to weather the roof till I get further along....
  • And yes...I need to get some better lighting....it is stops raining I'll try outdoors...
  • I like what you have done so far. Rick
  • Thanks for the thoughts, MuddyCreekRR, I’ll take my liberties with the track (no prototype, but with my background it would be D&RG/D&RGW). Hey brownbr, the 180 degree turn and cross-track crane idea is very interesting. It might give an industrial train-yard feel to a scene decades earlier. In a way, it makes more sense than me piping oil (? Underground) across the track(s) from O’Neills to the Foundry. I’m planning my base to be 20x35” – hope that’s adequate.

MCRR, your work is great - and fast. I need to get busy!
  • Thank you sir....it's hard to go too far with only part of the kit....I can usually picture in my head how other stuff is going to look with the whole kit in front of me...
  • TomTom...with no where to go other than the shop...I've put in about 10 hours since I opened the box....Thanks....
  • You are moving along quick. Must be under stay at home orders or something.

Tomtom, I have a few other ideas that I'm mulling over but I'll post those on a separate thread. I asked Brett for a footprint for planning purposes and waiting on reply. It's probably fair to assume that if the HO was 11x14 that the O would be about double that...22x24ish. We'll have to see how the main structures turn out but I was thinking turning one of the structures would make the dio about 14x36ish
  • Great progress, loving what you are doing here!
  • Wow You are just motoring along. Great work so far.
  • Brian....I retired from the FD in 2018....still work with the volunteer department down here that keeps me busy enough...but with the Stay at Home stuff...all my side work teaching is shut down...so I am in the shop on and off all day....trading out on the yard work and house improvement stuff....I did slow down a bit....Brett...glad you approve my friend....still working on that other diorama I told you of...just wanted to switch up for a few weeks...I normally don't post much here...as I am duplicating stuff that already been here...plus until I figured out the best way to size and post the photos....it never worked out....but rest assured....photos of the diorama progress will soon follow....And to all...as always...if you see anything I miss....or have a thought on a different idea.....chime in....as fast as I seem to be going...this build will be over time as the installments arrive...Ok....back to the shop....
  • Now you have something! Fun part of the build when the walls start going up and you begin to get a feel for things. Corners and framing look nice and tight. Your stencil work is also perfectly done, worn but readable. Mine was almost too faded but too little is better than too much.
  • engine909 said:

That is some sweet coloring and weathering. I like it. As Kevin said warm, like the sunshine in Spain, or Nice,

i said that?
  • edited April 2020
    Pattern Shop windows and doors.....some weathering with chalk....no other details as of yet.....still playing with the 2 rear wall windows...they need a little TLC....Final weathering again won't happen till I get a feel for the rest of the build......On to the Repair Shop walls......
  • On thing I'm still working in my mind...is how far I will have the doors open....rear in particular....I will probably have a partial floor....maybe an interior wall.....some small scene.....we shall see......I also have to figure in lighting of the exterior areas.....
  • It's probably wise to wait as you say on final weathering.
  • It's hard for me not to...as I like working with smaller parts doing the weathering...and then do the final touches as stuff goes together....so right now I'll get the initial color to where I want it to be.....My biggest issue is to get better lighting to take the photos....I'm not happy with them at all....
  • Hey Muddy!

The overhead garage doors designed for this kit by Brett are simply awesome.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/174/79HOHZZ5TR1R.png
    They make me want to rebuild some of my older structures and add them.
    All your doors are looking real sweet!

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited April 2020
    Thanks Dave....just the basic weathering so far....once they're in place...I will fine tune to their location....I dig the garage door too....
  • edited April 2020
    Time to let the paint dry....tried Joel's fan brush technique....nice results...it is much easier to control the paint....since the repair shop is supposed to be newer...it will get to keep more paint....and have less damage.....while waiting for the drying to occur.....I'll enjoy some BBQ.....brisket should be done.....
  • Awesome progress, so much fun watching!