visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O Scale Foundry....

edited April 2020 in O Scale Builds
Recieved a pakage today containing the first part of the O Scale foundry kit. As usual overly impressed with the quality and instructions....so much so I'm going to start my build tonight....Love the stencils Brett.....top notch stuff....Photos soon....

Comments

• Looking forward to this!
  • i can hardly wait!
  • Mine is in the mail!

I've been thinking about structure placement...which is a bit difficult without the actual structure in hand. However, I'd like everyone's thoughts on this. I'm thinking of turning the foundry structure 180 degrees and putting it on the other side of the service track and running the overhead crane over the tracks.

Seems like there should be some type of hoist to load cars and I don't think I'll have room for a derrick or something like that. I'll have plenty of time to toy with this idea so let's hear it.
  • I’m thinkin’ there’s a couple of real interesting builds to follow in the real near future
    Terry
  • I got mine as well. Looking forward to it. It's gonna be bit before I get to it though. I have 3 or 4 other kits to finish first. I'm blessed :-)
  • I stopped working on my diorama using the Truck Repair and Tractor Repair along with a few other outbuildings to start this. Since it's only the walls, doors and windows, and the roofs....it won't take too long to get done....have the pattern shop wood textured, stained and painted.....had some issues with photos, will upload them tomorrow....
  • Off to the races. The tortoise will win. Looking forward to this.
  • Sorry for the photo quality...I am not a computer genius and I actually have 3 more photos I can't get to post....working on that.....first shot went up twice....trying something different with knots. Those pens are super fine points....just touch the tip to the wood....and the ink flows almost to look like a knot...but only hold it there for a second or two.....experiment with it.....I did some traditional toothpick knots too....once I can get the stained and painted photos to print....you can see the results better....Not going too quick.....the texture and staining took me a few hours.....the painting a few more...
  • Somehow lost 2 photos...but at least this one came out.....it's more red in real life....I found that the steel wool helped in areas I put down a wee tad too much paint....a double light pass on each piece softened them nicely.....you can see a few of my "ink" knots on the right side....I kinda like em….today....some siding work.....
  • And as everyone says...the photos bring out the details....see a few spots that I want to tone down the red a bit....since it's the oldest structure in the group....I want it to look old...but well maintained...(to an extent)….so I'm looking for the wood to show thru the paint....
  • Brian...I have similar thoughts...I've gotten a lot done on O'Neills so far....and since I haven't placed any structures yet....and mines going on the layout too....so...I need to plan ahead. Just a word on the layout...it's going to go up in 8 foot sections....most no more than 24" wide....kinda like a modular layout that will be attached to the walls (on French cleats) with some peninsula's too.....having it across the tracks gives to the option of elevated oil piping too....
  • Painting and texture turned out great! Looks worn, bun not worn out.
  • Nice progress
  • Muddy,

Are those Stabilo "Point 88" pens available for purchase other than in sets?

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited April 2020
    Dave...yes...I got those at Michaels...they were reasonably cheap too...not so sure online right now....just tried the same technique on the two walls I finished so far (photos later)….worked a bit better...then rubbed them with my finger with a little gray chalk on my finger....
  • Do you have a trackplan? I started with an around the room shelf layout and loaded it with my builds but I ran out of room for good viewing. If I had it to redesign I would take a few different things into consideration. I've found though that I haven't run the trains in a couple of years. Maybe I just need a very small fiddle yard and take the rest out and put in shelves to display dioramas...or re-do the underneath supports to house display cases instead of storage. I'll put this in the round tuit bucket.
  • edited April 2020
    I know...the photo quality sucks....but it's a general idea....left wall...pattern shop...simulated tar paper under the wood....can't fully weather until I get the other buildings in this installment done...and even then....until the other buildings get here eventually....I'll try to get some photos outdoors tomorrow if it doesn't rain....or get better lighting....my shop is all LED...
  • My track plan changes every week in my mind....logging area.....sawmill....engine facilities....small mine operation (coal)….small waterfront...I too have too many kits....area available right now is 20x12......someday....
  • As for the pens....I got them at Michaels....they were in a display with separate pens.....since they are currently closed by me....?.....I think the key is the extra fine point...I originally got them to simulate nail heads as opposed to nail holes.....
  • edited April 2020
    Me thinks I should have looked again at the photo album of the HO foundry.....I just realized that I detailed the walls in some spots that won't be scene...covered with details.....live and learn...but I will know it's there....
  • It's like painting the other side of the fence. Noone sees it but you know its there.
  • edited April 2020
    Brett...totally agree...those #17 and #18 blades are the bomb.....nice clean cuts...
  • Wow. Rapid progress. I'll be following your build. Phil
  • Your wood work looks fantastic! Love the warm color and weathering...