visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Son of Brass and Iron Foundry

124»

Comments

• Very nice job Mike. You have an outstanding diorama to add to your layout. I will be looking for the review on the kit.

Mike S.
  • edited November 2020
    OUTSTANDING !!! The first thing that captured my eye on the first photo are the flowers. One of the few times I see them on SW dioramas .Great work. Now give me some time to digest this marvel..
  • Great build. Are you putting the big crane somewhere else?
  • Amazing work as usual Mike. Looks like having a puppy nipping at your heels has not affected your modeling skills, hah!
  • Detailing continues on the Pattern Shop. Sorry depth of field is so bad. Enlarged photo shows much touch-up to be done. Replace barrel with bad rust streaks toward the top. . I don't have a good sawdust. What's on the model now is diorama dirt but it is not glued down. Haven't found a sifted real sawdust that I like. I really like detailing and there is a lot to like with what Brett gives you.

Image 12-8-20 at 7.18 PM
  • great scene!
  • Sure is a great scene. Mike, I have used sawdust colored pigments to substitute as fine sawdust. I secured them with "Gravel and sand fixer". The results were acceptable.
  • I am loving the detail work on this one. Have you ever tried cutting up a piece of MDF and using the dust from it?? Working for a company that deals in all wood products, I have seen about every kind of sawdust you could ask for. MDF dust is extremely fine. I have not tried it yet myself, that is why I ask.
  • I am a retired Shop Teacher. I have a collection of various wood species sawdust. I used to collect sawdust from the disc sander. I found that provided the finest sawdust. Sawdust from the table saw was coarser but also useful in certain situations. Having various species of sawdust is a great resource. If you have a disc sander try saving the sawdust from it. There has been discussion here recently about had operated disc sanders. It would take a bit of effort to collect enough sawdust from them for larger projects, but what Mike is showing here should be doable.

Sawdust from pine or maple give the most useful light colored sawdust for most situations. I have also used walnut, cherry, mahogany and pine from the table saw to represent coarse sawdust in a sawmill.
  • I've been detailing some at a pace I like since I enjoy it so much. Kevin has headed back west (when we lived in northern California anybody that lived past Nevada was from "back East"). So I have moved the shop I few yards southwest back to 2/3 of the dining room table.

I still have the sand bay area to model but I decided to take this downstairs to check everything out as to its layout spot and check colors again in the layout lighting. I also took it outside for a few photos in the gloomy daylight. The real light is great for finding spots to correct and touch-up, but not very good for seeing how the colors and weathering will look in layout or maybe even contest rooms.

This model will be adjacent to O'Neill's so I have to match-up where roads, paths, and landscaping will adjoin. Also some of the detailed scenes from the foundry will spill over onto the small area between the two dioramas so I have to plan for that. Both of these dioramas are 12x12 inches but when in place they will blend into a larger area and there will be removable backdrops on two sides of the peninsula.

I see good things have happened on the Forum since I've been away for awhile- one is that our favorite radio personality, champion water skier, world class modeler and good friend Bill has dropped back in- with a tutorial on green roofs. Good stuff!

Here are an outdoor and an indoor shot of the same view, and the third is O'Neill's and the Foundry as they will look together someday soon. I'll have some more photos of the Foundry in the layout lighting hopefully tomorrow.

IMG_1618

IMG_1604

IMG_1560
  • What a community ! Looks fantastic.
  • gonna look great together.
  • Wow! Some incredible modeling. I'm just now ready to start the detailing on mine. What an inspiration. Looks great next to O'Neill's too....Rick
  • Wow Mike, the two kits look amazing together.
  • Beautiful work Mike!

Jerry
  • Mike, the second picture is outstanding. You are right - the lighting completely changes from outside to inside in your layout room. I prefer the lighting in the layout room. Phil
  • Looks great Mike!
  • Great work! Together they make a nice complex.
  • I like the pick up truck
  • Thank all of you folks for the nice comments. And also for those who chipped in with ideas on the sawdust. I have a piece of MDF board and I will see how that looks. I was going to use it for a diorama base but the stuff is just too heavy. I'll stick to gatorfoam for the bases as they are really light, durable, and don't warp unless you hold them underwater. I found doing the sand bin that there really isn't anything that is a great HO scale representation of sawdust or sand. Kind of like HO scale nailholes or nailheads. Not going to happen from a foot or two away.

I've had questions about the beautiful pick-up. It has followed me around for many years hopping from diorama to diorama. It was given to me by my friend Dustin Hedrick a.k.a. Coors2u on this forum about 6 or 7 yrs. ago. He and I did a thread called "The Curmudgeon and the Punk Build the Deer Creek Mine" and I believe the pick-up debuted there. Dustin maybe will let us know what kind of kit but I'm guessing Jordan. Whatever, he did a beautiful job on it and I am very grateful he honored me with such a great model.

The last few days I've added the two cranes, several carts, and some other details. The last things to go on will be the support wires. I took several other photos in addition to the ones above under the layout lighting and here are several. Much touch-up, more chalking and additional details to come.

IMG_1562

IMG_1565

IMG_1573

IMG_1584

IMG_1592

IMG_1605

IMG_1606

IMG_1607

IMG_1611
  • Wonderful. Love to study pix like these. Thanks for the eye candy.
  • I'm just starting the detailing on mine so seeing yours gives me some great ideas. very well done.......Rick
  • Very nice Mike. Your details are just great.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jawdroppingly good
  • Thanks guys. I probably don't need to point this out, but I finally found a little snafu in this kit. In the set of nine photos above, the 6th and 7th show that Brett printed the little sign "10 TON CAP" on the far right of the gantry crane upside down.

Actually, I was clever enough to install the beam upside down after I had adhered the signs. I can carefully fix I think as I have an extra sign that I can copy and put them on top of the wrong ones. My bad.

• Very nice. The coloring on the metal seam roof is excellent
  • I saw the sign.... and just assumed you wanted it that way because everything else is so perfect! Lol