visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Son of Brass and Iron Foundry

Comments

• I really like the red peeling/faded paint.
  • I am with ED, I like it all!
  • Excellent work Mike. Keep those updates coming.

Jerry
  • Looking great so far!
  • Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. When I first saw the Foundry I knew that I couldn't wait to have a try at the beautiful stone wall castings. I have previously done some hydrocal castings and also a stone resin casting that Brett included in the Railroad Camp kit, but this a new level. Brett has written a lot on the coloring and also has pointed us in some research directions (see Wayside Grist Mill images). My first image here is of the actual mill.

It has really been fun getting the hang of painting the stones with the Rembrandt pastels and a little alcohol. I've done some experimenting and again will advise those that will build the kit that they should check the color levels in the lighted areas in which the model will be viewed. My second image shows the back wall with some sunlight through a window, and the third is of the wall propped up against another building on the layout. You can see the big contrast in colors with the various light levels. Now predicting light levels in future contest rooms is another ballgame. I think the coloration in the layout setting is pretty close to what I want.

My early photos showed I didn't have enough ink in my A/I mixture so I added another teaspoon to the pt. bottle. To add to the mortar stain without putting any more on the stone surfaces, I loaded the brush with A/I and touched it to the edge of the wall piece and capillary action took it throughout the mortar lines only. Requires only a few reloads to the brush and applied where needed. You easily see where more is needed.

My advice on stone coloring is to be cautious with the dark browns and greys like 408.3
    and 704.3 They can really contrast the lighter stone colors. Also, I am planning to add some close to black soot in some spots. My goal is to have the third picture stones look on the order of the first photo stones.

Another tip on using the very small squares- this time to help you keep the edges and corners of your doors and windows perfectly aligned when you glue the layers together. Making the simple jig in the last photo helps do the task quicker and better.

wayside grist mill

IMG_4900

layout lighting

Window jig
  • your stone wall looks great, but what i really want to know, is your trick for the swayback roof the wall is leaning against. from what i can see of it it looks awesome!
  • Very nice looking stone wall. Thanks for the mini tutorial.
  • Progressing so well. Am looking forward to seeing more. Up to your usual high standards!
  • Stone work turned out really nice Mike.
  • Beautiful wall Mike. Great coloring and tutorial.

Jerry
  • Well it's taken me a little time on these walls but I wanted to do a good job. When you look you will say after six months you might have expected a little better. Let's just say I needed a little break but now I can catch up. During the virus I have managed to read a few books, walked a few miles each day, did a couple of jigsaw puzzles, done a lot of Netflix and other streaming binging, and did my taxes. Am on Twitter, Facebook, Tik Tok, Instagram, YouTube, and Zoom and FaceTime to play Battleships with the grand children.

But the only thing creative I do I resumed about a week ago. And I'm glad I'm back. Even though about 95% of the creativity is Brett's when I take on a SWSM kit, I can eventually say "I built that", and in my opinion it is an art form. My friend Dave Revelia was once quoted in a magazine "I think model building is an art form, but I know for sure that it is more than just messing around with toy trains."

So some photos that show the finished and assembled foundry walls, the foundry work room, and the sand bay. Some neat detail in the sand bay, and you will have to get down to ground level to appreciate it. There are a couple of sand riddles hanging on the wall (one rectangular and one round) built from some fine laser cut pieces. They were used to screen particulate matter from the sand. Mine need more grime and rusting up, and that's why we take these pics outside in the bright sun- as other touch-up needs and other small snafus can be detected.

Brett's kits have a high degree of educational value. I know my way around sawmills, fabricating business, gold mines, and now foundries just to name a few of my favorites. The "stories" included in each kit totally enhance the building enjoyment.

IMG_6526

IMG_6547
  • Here are a couple more pics:

IMG_6537

IMG_6560

IMG_6577
  • Looks fantastic. I think the stonework is spot on. Rick
  • Glad to see you back at this Mike. Stonework looks great.
  • Looks great Mike
  • Well done Mike, the stonework is great.
  • Mike, glad to see you back. You are one of the veterans that I look up to. Although you may be 80+ and have shaky hands, your modeling skills are still there. The stone walls are exactly what I would want. Is there a tutorial on the SW site that explains this method? I would love to review. Stay safe and keep on modeling. Phil
  • Hey Mike it's your usual beautiful work. That stonework is perfection!!

And it's great to see you back with us once again.

Jerry
  • Love the stonework...can't wait to get at the O scale stonework.
  • Mike really nice work on the walls. looking forward to all the little details.
  • Thanks for your interest and kind comments.

So of the several-hundred structures I have built through many years, you tend to remember some more than others, and develop a short-list of favorites. One that comes to mind is the hotel from Logging Camp Main Street. It was a truly unique design even among the many gems Brett has produced over the years. It was a delightful and satisfying build I'll always remember.

The tiny office from this foundry is another of those remarkable structures. It has so many design features and textures and was really fun. It combines individual pieces of stripwood applied over milled clapboard siding. The boards are first grained and detailed, then stained with Rembrandt chalks and rubbing alcohol. Then they are damp-brushed with alcohol and acrylic paint. The exterior color looks better IMO if it is light enough to give a nice contrast to the base stain.

The feature of my work surface is the same piece of plate glass I have used for twenty years. One outside photo is of the office outside, and the other of the various elements placed against one another. And finally the office placed on my layout to give me a color check under the layout lighting. In the background are a little bit of two additional SWSM structures- on the right the Woodcutter's Shack and on the left the recently re-released Duluth Company.

IMG_6638

IMG_6742

IMG_6753

IMG_6756

• Now this is awesome stuff !!! WoW
  • What fantastic modeling, I can't wait to see this finished and installed on your layout. I too love this little structure. The signing is great fun to model.

We have a ton of new members, bet they would love to see your layout...
  • Great stuff Mike.....I am going to school on all the techniques to do the stone work in anticipation of that part of the kit once we get that far......Looking real good...
  • Really nice! Colors and textures really make it pop! It is a gem of a model.
  • Mike.
    I think that you reading the manual great job my friend. ...........CL.......
  • Well another little four month break! Actually I've been doing quite a bit of modeing during this hiatus- I'm working a lot on the layout with the idea of finishing it by spring and then moving it so that I can try O scale- I've built a few small O scale kits and I love them. I don't see them better since my 80 year near vision is still good- I don't even need glasses other than safety glasses. But I really like the amount of fine detail you can add, like graining wood and detailing and decorating castings and little people.

I put wood shakes on the foundry office. I don't use many asphalt shingles in the woods since the sawmill, woodcutters, and shingling factory are nearby. The ones I always use are the Paper Creek version which are not available anymore, but I stocked up big-time as I had some advance warning they would't be in future production. I also still have several bottles of Floquil Driftwood stain- practically collectors items even though I like everybody else use mostly alcohol mixed with ink or pastel chalks to stain wood or plaster.

So here is probably my favorite of more than 100 SWSM structures I have built- the foundry office.

IMG_0825

IMG_0826

IMG_0828

First thing I'm going to do is de-fuzz the top of the cap on the false front. Second thing I'm going to do is take the roof-cap off and add a row of shingles to the top of the left roof. If you use strips of any kind of shingles you have to overlap each row. If you don't they won't look like individual shingles. Most easily corrected of a common sin among model roofing crews.

Welcome back I hope. Next thing on this build is prepping the very considerable amount of castings. If Brett were income oriented he would charge the amount he prices kits for just the instructions and castings. A real no frills kit but still a bargain price.
  • admin said:

What fantastic modeling, I can't wait to see this finished and installed on your layout. I too love this little structure. The signing is great fun to model.

We have a ton of new members, bet they would love to see your layout...

indeed. some of the old members would too....
    just sayin'....
  • Great work....of course. :wink:
  • Beautifully done.