visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Son of Brass and Iron Foundry

It would be tough not to embarrass yourself when posting thread-build photos of a model that was recently built by Ken Karns that he introduced to the world on this forum in his official build thread. However I love this kit and I'm planning to include it with Brett's O'Neill's Fabrications that I built two years ago, and the yet to be released Riverfront Landing, in the final segment of my modular layout. Since this is a non-build thread I'll post some progress photos from time-to-time, and an occasional comment. Not a strict timetable here but I like to share what I'm doing, and also this let's me use my favorite building tool- my cell phone camera to point out my flaws, glue spots, touch-up paints and chalk, etc. You can't believe what I find- end rafters upside down, chains hung at a 45 degree angle, a hideously oversized sectional door grab handle, many signs with white edges, and... well, you get the idea.

By the way, there is nothing quite like the bright sunlight to expose your modeling sins. However if you are trying to proof the colors and weathering levels you are using, I recommend you take your photos in your modeling area or even better in your layout room or place where the model will be displayed.

I've pretty much finished the first structure in this kit, the Pattern Shop. This is a beauty, and Brett has outdone himself on the design and innovative details he has given us. Unlike Ken, I added all the castings and most detail parts as each wall was built and flat on the workbench. Here are a few snapshots (as Elliott used to call my photos) taken with my often out-of-focus cell phone camera. I am getting a new phone soon and my daughter tells me Apple has a great new lens. I t would be too much to ask to have a depth-of-field adjustment.

Comments

• looks excellent, as usual.
  • Superb! So wonderful to see you modeling and posting your work here for all of us to enjoy. I especially love the wood coloration/weathering.
  • Great to see you posting this model. Always enjoyed studying your structures and details.
    I looked back at your sawmill many times as I was building mine for inspiration and ideas.
  • Very nice as usual. Thanks for posting your models for all of us to see and learn from.

Mike S.
  • Looks great Mike. Thanks for the posting of this build here.

Jerry
  • Great color on the walls and roof. I will be following at close range....Thanks for posting this build.
  • Mike, Great start. I look forward to the rest of your build.
  • Thank all of you for your comments. As I said above the lighting at your workbench may vary from your layout or display area. The lighting differences will affect shadows, coloration, detail effects, etc. I usually do as these photos suggest, and I put the new building in place in an unfinished part of my layout alongside O'Neills. I determined that while some things need some toning down with AI or chalks, I think the colors of the Pattern Shop will work in this lighting and complement the other structures. So on to the Repair Shop.
    IMG_4697
    IMG_4695
    IMG_4696
  • Mike. The layout looks great nice job with everything.
    How have you been?
    .........Carl...........
  • It is nice to see you building again Mike. Looks good!
  • Looks very good I might say......
  • Nice looking layout Mike. We could use a picture or two more of it??

Jerry
  • Thanks for the compliments. This is a real-time thread and I'll post as I go. My messy work-space on our kitchen counter as I do the repair shop walls. Very convenient to work in this spot. Today I let the dog out about 6:30 am and couldn't walk by this without fitting and gluing some pieces of siding. Here are the four walls of the Repair Shop.

IMG_4708

IMG_4723
  • Like I said before, impossible to walk by and do nothing.... Looking good those walls.
  • Very nice Mike!

Jerry
  • Great start on a fantastic kit
  • Thanks everyone for the support. I certainly need it. I have a few modeling sins to show you. The bright outdoor photos offer a great opportunity to make a few dozen corrections and touch-ups. Just a few are: touch up and stain board ends, straighten and stain rafter ends, add some chalk weathering, bubble in big sign, fix edges of canopy roof, fuzzy removal, and on-and-on. Please help by letting me know others.

This is such a great kit. How can Brett get better and better. I've done over a dozen SWSM kits, and the two previous to this I did were the mine and O'Neill's. I really had thought the bar couldn't be raised higher, but he's done it folks.

Cut me some slack folks- some of these pics are 3-4x on my monitor. In my layout lighting and viewed from a foot away these look better. Also I'm dealing with some new hurdles- almost 80, eyesight not so good, and shaking hands. Not excuses, new challenges.

The porch and its roof are great features, but I tacked them lightly in place as they can get in the way of seeing the great castings and doors and window unless the viewer is at ground level. Kind of like the roof over one of the great details of all time- the boiler in the Deer Creek Mine kit.

I'm also amazed at the way Brett introduces several new innovations in each new kit. The outside band around the roof chipboards is genius as it allows an edge all around the tarpaper roof that is notched and then tucked over and glued to the edges. The effect is very realistic.

So here are some photos:

Repair 1

Repair 2

Repair 3

Repair 4

Repair 5

repair 6

Repair 7
  • Terrific job Mike!!!

Jerry
  • Superb. The red tarpaper is particularly well done!
  • Greetings Mike from Malawi. Really amazing, realistic coloration and detail. Bravo!
    Mark
  • I agree, tarpaper looks terrific. ( as does the rest !! :smile: )
  • Thank you, all. I finished another element and this one was really fun. Essentially tarpaper walls and roof, the Tempering Shed is a great contrast to the others. It has an attached piece to it in the form of a workbench and awning. It also has a tilt-up canopy door and a great way of attaching it.

I'm always eager to finish an element so that I can place it next to the others to see where I am going. The design of this grouping is really outstanding now that I have the perspective of 3-D. More kudos to Brett.

Sorry again for the out-of-focus and lighting issues.

Temp shed 4

Temp. shed 5

Temp shed 1
  • Good looking ensemble..
  • outstanding mike.
  • Mike. Just like a old bottle of wine you are getting better as you age............Carl............
  • Looks so good Mike!
  • Thanks folks. And yes Carl, I am like an old bottle of wine. They say you are what you drink.

I have a lot of favorite tools. Some I really like and use were included by Brett in one of his kits long ago- these small size squares are just the thing for deck legs, stringers, rafters, battens, siding, etc., etc. I use them many times on every build I undertake.

Next are a couple of outside shots of the first elements glued together along with some of the larger details like docks, canopies, and stacks. Lots of new items for the punch list.

Squares

Block 1

Block 2

Block 3
  • Great work on this kit !!. Very nice color on the wooden walls aswel. (Like to have/ build this kit in O scale... :wink: )
  • Really impressive work Mike.