visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another Mortons Foundry Build

Comments

• Phil,
    I just followed the instructions. I sprayed the castings with Khaki paint, let dry, then blotted on A/I, let dry, then painted individual stones with chalks diluted in alcohol. Basically painted individual stones using chalk in alcohol mix instead of paints. I used to paint individual stones with acrylic paints, but I like this method better as the colors are more subtle.
  • Joel,
    This is a fun kit to build. There are many new and interesting aspects that are incorporated and fun and interesting to work with. That is why I decided to build it, hoping to learn new methods and techniques for building, and it has not let me down. It is also great to have Ken's Official build to refer to for inspiration and ideas.
    Kevin,
    I hope my explanation as to how I did the stone work helps. It is very simple and straight forward and rewarding.
  • Thanks for the explanation. That's pretty easy. Phil
  • It was easy to color the stone and the results I think are good. Here are the stone walls after installing the windows and other details. Next step is to assemble the building.Stone Walls Front and Left Resize
    Stone Walls Side and Corner Resize
    Stone Wall Rear Resize
  • outstanding stone work!
  • Thanks Kevin. It was an easy process and a lot of fun. Give it a try on your build.
    Here is the stone building assembled. Assembled Stone Sand Bay Resize
    Assembled Stone End Resize
    Assembled Stone Side Resize
    Assembled Stone Front Resize
  • Wow what a fantastic building. The three building will compliment each other beautifully.
  • Great progress and wonderful work.
  • Tom,

Learning a great deal from your build. Looks fantastic. Enjoying each addition as you post your photos and descriptions.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Joel, This is a great complex of different and interesting buildings. It is the reason I chose to build it. Lots of variety, and it has provided a lot of learning techniques and processes.
    Thanks Ken and Dave.
    Here is the office completed. I have never built clapboard board on board over a scribed sheet before. I like the look of it and how much weathering can be done.
    After photographing the Office I noticed fuzz on the cap board. I took steel wool to it post haste! Interesting how photographing a model can bring out the imperfections and details, both good and bad.Office FR Resize
    Office FL Resize
    Office Front Resize
    Office Right Resize
    Office Left Resize
  • Wow that looks great. Some real character to that building. great work.
  • That's an awesome structure Tom. Color and weathering look perfect together!
  • These turned out great. You are right about the photographs showing imperfections. Especially with the close-ups that we tend to take.
  • Thanks for the compliments guys, the Office was fun to build. I have finished the Foundry roof. I have to admit I was a little intimidated by the prospect of creating this and having it turn out acceptable. Alas, I should have known better. By following the instructions and taking my time I am satisfied with how it turned out. My biggest problem was I kept knocking the battens loose when working on other parts of the roof. Also it is imperative to keep hands clean so as not to leave marks.

After photographing, again I noticed things I could have done better. For example, there is a sub roof made out of laser cut card stock and an outer roof made from laser board. The outer roof has indentations for the battens to be glued into. I thought I was gluing them into the indentations correctly, but after taking pics, I noticed I missed on a few of them. It isn't terrible, just looks to the naked eye to be more rust areas around the battens. In any case I am satisfied with it and while a bit of a challenge for me, it was fun to build and I learned a lot from building it, especially how versatile chalks are for coloring and weathering.

I also deviated a bit from the instructions when applying the flashing. I liked the look of Ken's "lead" flashing and wanted to create that look. The instructions calls for folded flashing, which was laser cut in paper with a fold line cut in it. I cut my flashing from that paper, but didn't use the laser cut flashing. I simply cut a piece from the edge of that paper and bent it. In hindsight, I should have used typing paper as it is thinner and would have been easier to bend into shape. But it turned out OK.
    Foundry Roof Side Resize
    Foundry Roof Side 2 Resize
    Foundry Roof Front 2 Resize
    Foundry Roof Front Resize
    Foundry Roof Rear 2 Resize
    Foundry Roof Rear Resize
  • All in all this is an awesome structure with lots of character.
  • You nailed the roof work Tom! Very nicely done and the entire structure looks wonderful. You certainly are on a roll coming off the stellar work on the Office. Can't wait to see these structures all come together..
  • Looks great.
  • The roof looks great Joel, as does the whole project.
  • the roof and stone walls really turned out nice.
  • Thanks guys. This structure is really unique and was a lot of fun to build. I am also looking forward to assembling the structures into a diorama.
  • Here is the Foundry and Office Complex assembled. Assembled Left Resize
    Assembled Left 2 resize
    Assembled Right 2 Resize
    Assembled Right Resize
    Assembled Rear Resize

Now the fun really begins, putting the diorama together and adding the details.
  • It looks fantastic. Can't wait for it to all come together. Best part of the build.
  • Beautiful. Great job
  • Looks like a classic New England stonework structure.
  • Nice work with the stone work.
  • Looks really great. Well done !!!
  • Thanks, looking forward to putting it all together.
  • One more thing, I couldn't resist adding the rebar to the broken corner on the loading dock.
    Concrete Loading Dock Resize
  • It's all in the subtle details....
  • great work!