visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another Mortons Foundry Build

I really like all the different buildings and materials in this kit, especially the stone walls. It also has some interesting castings and details. So I thought I'd tackle a build. I will attempt to show my progress as portions come together. I do encourage comments as I'm always looking to improve my techniques. I will photograph portions as I can and post them here. I am using my Samsung S9 phone to take pictures so they may not be the best quality photos.

A disclaimer, in no way do I attempt to live up to Ken's wonderful build, in fact I am using it for inspiration. I will be following the instructions and perhaps using some of my favorite techniques.

SW Mortons Foundry Box Resize

The obligatorily box photo. :-)

SW Mortons Foundry Kit Resize

And the open box kit parts.

Comments

• I have been working on this for a few days so I have the walls to the Pattern shop completed. Here's what I have thus far.
    SW Mortons Pattern Front Resize
    Front Wall.

SW Mortons Pattern Left Resize
    Left Wall. I left more color on this wall and it is not as heavily weathered because it is under an awning and my reasoning is that it would not receive as much weather as the other sides of the building.

SW Mortons Pattern Rear Resize
    Rear Wall.

SW Mortons Pattern Right Resize
    Right Wall.
  • Looks great. I see you left a bit more paint on the tops of the walls where they are more protected by the eaves. Nice effect.
  • Looking forward to watching this come together.
    Bryan
  • Awesome start Tom, can't wait to see more. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your build.
  • Looks good so far Tom.

Jerry
  • Eagerly anticipated
  • Thanks guys for the comments.
    Joel, I did leave the area under the eaves with more color. Looking at the real world this is often seen on weathered buildings. The eaves are more protected from the elements.

I'm really looking forward to building this kit. There are so many interesting aspects to it and different components.
  • Fantastic start Tom, I'll be following along on this one too.
  • Brett,
    I have a question. I am at the point of working with the windows. I have removed them from the carrier as described in the instructions and primed them with the Khaki paint as described. Why can't the windows just be left in the carrier and painted there. It seems the only part that would not be painted is the edges, and in the case of windows won't show. Most of the doors the same would apply. Leaving them in the carrier would be less likely to damage them.
  • Yes, definitely less likely to damage but that has never been an issue as I have never received a request to replace those parts in any kit. Just handle them carefully and you'll be fine! In addition the edges must be colored since they could be visible on the completed structure.
  • Great loking walls Tom and off to a terrific start. Will be following you along here and keen to see what you do with this wonderful kit.
  • The vertical siding looks pretty ragged alone the bottom edge....just like I like it.... well done
    Terry
  • Tom, the risk to priming while still in the carrier is that excess paint will make it harder to remove. It's kind of 6 of one, half dozen of other for which way works best for you.
  • I did remove them from, the carrier as per instructions and had no problem with any of them other than a little tape residue on a couple of the doors. All turned out OK. It makes sense that painting them in the carrier would make them more difficult to remove since the instruction say the paint adds to the strength of the parts.
  • Even as an O 'scaler', I will gladly follow this build. Great start Tom.
  • Tom,

Like Robert I am on board and enjoying what I am seeing and Liking the weathered red barn walls a lot.

Ya think if we left this kit in water for a few days we could get it to swell up to O-Scale? (LOL)

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Great start Tom, I'm another one eagerly following along with your progress on this great kit.

Karl.A
  • Here are photos of my Pattern Shop walls after being detailed and assembled.
    SW Mortons Pattern Front 2 Resize

SW Mortons Pattern Left 2 Resize

SW Mortons Pattern Right 2 Resize

SW Mortons Pattern Rear 2 Resize
  • Tom, I really like wall with the roll up door, the weathering at the bottom looks fantastic.
    Mike
  • Tom,
    Great progress, love all the little details.
    Joel
  • Thanks guys. I took a lesson from Ken's wonderful build on the thresholds on the doors and rounded them a little to show wear from years of use. I know it's hard to see, but I also added bolts to the clevises as per Ken's build. I wanted to see how hard it would be and it wasn't that bad. The hardest part was keeping those tiny NBW castings from flying off my tweezers into the abyss of my workbench.
  • well worth the extras effort, those hanging clevises look fantastic!
  • Wow Tom!...most excellent work here. Your weathering is very nicely done. I left off the round vent on my build but glad you included it on yours as you did a great job on it with just the right amount of exhaust accumulation...
  • A fine looking structure
  • It is a fun build and especially with the fantastic information and photos in this forum and SW website. I have enjoyed adding the little extras from Ken's great build and gaining inspiration from both.

The clevises were a fun and easy extra little detail. Like I said the hardest part was corralling those little NBW's and keeping them from popping off my tweezers. It's something I will remember and use again.
  • Here's the finished Pattern Shop with the roof on.
    20190307_153628 Resize
    20190307_153643 Resize
    20190307_153656 Resize
    20190307_153707 Resize
    20190307_153801 Resize
  • Fantastic! Love the coloration, rich, warm, and weathered just right.
  • fantastic finish on that roof.
  • Very well done Tom. Wonderful work.
  • Nice work on the whole building...

Alan