visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another Mortons Foundry Build

Comments

• Looks great Tom.
  • The whole building looks fantastic Tom, the weathered siding is right on and I'm loving that roof, everything looks so good together. Looking forward to following your next stage.

Karl.A
  • I had intended to photograph the walls for the Repair Shop laying flat, but I got so engrossed in the build I forgot to photograph them, so here they are assembled albeit sans the roof.
    Repair Shop front Resize
    Repair Shop right Resize
    Repair Shop Rear Resize
    Repair Shop left Resize
  • Butting board ends are great...nice weathering of the siding
    Terry
  • edited March 2019
    i'll say. those walls are great!
  • Love the color of the siding!
  • Great work Tom, the corners are nice and tight, weathering is great and I'm with Brett...love the siding treatment. Foundry sign is well done and nicely faded and worn. Watch your height on the signs on the front wall on either side of the window. They appear to be, if I calculated right, about 6-7 scale feet off the deck. In addition, once the porch roof is installed they may be hard to see that high...just a thought
  • I like the rather bleached look of the wood. Nice work !
  • Thanks for the nice comments guys. I have enjoyed weathering and detailing the wood siding, and building board on board.
    Ken, Now that I have the porch on I think I am OK with the height of the signs. I was worried I would place them too low and they would be obscured by the details.
    Here is my progress to date.
    Repair Shop front Porch Resize
    Repair Shop right Roof Resize
    Repair Shop Rear Sign Resize
    Repair Shop Rear Roof Resize
    Repair Shop left Roof Resize
    Repair Shop Roof Resize
  • Nice work Tom. I appreciate the subtlety of the shading under the eaves.
    Kudos.

Mark
  • i agree, it's looks so real.
  • Red and white structures should look good together.
  • Looks great, the weathering is really well done.
  • edited March 2019
    Tom,

I agree with Bryan's comment... "red and white structures should look good together."

Can you give us a quick "sneak photo preview" of the red and white buildings together?

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • I am just getting to the point of joining the buildings. I am following the instructions so as not to mess up and will post photos of the two together as soon as I'm done. Here is the Tempering Shed. Tempering Shed Front Resize
    Tempering Shed Right Resize
    Tempering Shed Rear Resize
    Tempering Shed Left Resize
  • Tom,

I understand your desire to follow the directions thus not joining the structures at this point so as not mess anything up now that you have come this far. Looking forward to the photo when you share it with us. Because you have these three structures near completion you have to be getting excited to see them together in a photo as well.

The weathered tar paper, overhead garage door and battens of the tempering shed look great. When this structure is added to the others it will give some great contrast and interest.

Later, Dave s. Tucson, AZ
  • As it turns out one of the next steps was to glue the 2 buildings together, so as per the requests to see them together here they are.
    2 Buildings Front Resize
    2 Buildings Sides Resize
    2 Buildings Side Resize
  • The next step is the Tempering Oven.
    Furnace Front Resize
    Furnace Top Resize

It's a nice detail and one in which is colored primarily with chalk. It took me a little playing with it but I finally arrived at results that I'm satisfied with.
  • The buildings look great and the contrast in colours works extremely well. The brick colour is fantastic and the weathering superb.
  • I second what Joel said about the color of the brick, Fantastic!
  • Love the brick work
  • i totally agree.
  • Thanks for the comments. That little oven was fun to paint and weather. Now here are the 3 buildings placed together.
    Completed Front Resize
    Completed Left Resize
    Completed Left Roof Resize
    Completed Rear Resize
    Completed Right Resize
    Completed Side Roof Resize

I tried to replicate the water stains running from the water tank pipe that Ken described in his wonderful build. I played around with it and thought I'd better leave well enough alone before going too far and mess things up.
  • Now on to the stone walls. Here they are after painting ans weathering.
    Stone Walls Resize
  • Here are a couple closer shots of the stone walls. After posting all 5 at one time I realized it didn't show much detail so here are some closer shots.3 Stone Walls Resize
    3 Stone Walls Resize
  • I really like the way you did the stone. Can you go over your process for painting and weathering stone? Thanks. Phil
  • yes please? i'm going to be working on the stone walls for the rr camp in a little while and love the results you achieved on these, they look great.
  • Nice work. This kit looks like a joy to build. So many interesting aspects. Your execution is wonderful.
  • The stone work is a big WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!