visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Never too much detail. Keep it coming. I love all the ideas and even more the execution. Great stuff.
  • Nice hearing from you Joel...appreciate your thoughts and hope to see you at the next gathering!...Ken
  • Couple of quick shots of the Oil Tank with the tank valve casting, oil tank ladder, and front railing in place. The only remaining main detail is the oil delivery pipe which feeds off the small hole pre-drilled in the top of the tank and drops down between the support timbers to the left of the ladder...Ken

P8180016a

P8180016

P8180022
  • edited August 2016
    Now that really looks "dirty" Ken. I think your model needs the cleaners in before there is an authentic model fire with all that additional welding!!
  • Now that's grungy!

Mitch
  • Impressive
  • Michael, O'Neills, as you know, comes complete with two fire extinguishers so I'm ready!

Mitch, that's this nicest thing anyone has ever said to me...sniffly...sniffly...

Thanks much Bryan...

"Dirty", "Grungy", ...music to my ears...thanks guys!
  • just step in here after a long time, but wow what a nice build as always you nailing it.

DJ
  • Long time DJ...nice to see you drop in...thanks for your thoughts.
  • Ken- some really fine modeling. I like where the tank is in regard to weathering. I went a little too far and had to retreat with a little alcohol, but that's what is so great about working with the chalks- they are forgiving.

I like you love the ladder, but as I feared it is not very visible at the right-rear installation. I may try to move it to the front-left corner, but I don't want to cover-up the "O" in "O'Neills". It has to go on one of the platform corners so the workers have access to the ladder. You'll probably figure it out- it will be interesting to see your treatment.
  • Thanks Mike, appreciate that. I was considering the same issues and I decided that I wanted the wonderful rivet detail on the left side of the tank and the ladder on the right side to both be visible. So I positioned my ladder with direct access from the Tower deck. I positioned my "O" in O'Neills just to the right of the rivets and the ladder is over the "LS" but still very readable (see photos)...

P8200018

P8200019

P8200014
  • The colors and weathering on your tank look perfect. All that's left is to add the lampshaderite unit.
  • I'm just thinking out loud here. I wonder how the tank would look in white or silver. It would certainly make it more of a focal point. I'm not sure if that would be a good thing or not.
  • Very good solution on the ladder- makes perfect sense. You even outthink the rest of us. Now where is the oil delivery pipe going to go? Maybe between the "I" and the first"L"? You probably figured out to make the main oil delivery assembly stay visible as well, even though it's under the tank platform and the dock. Another of my favorite details!
    Now I've got to figure out where the oil leaks and spills would be around the tank, platform, and piping system. Brett cautions you to not overdo this.

One thing I do know is that used motor oil in this era was black, skanky, gooey stuff. I know because I used to get a couple of quarts per day from the dad of a friend of mine who owned a Standard station. I needed it to keep my first car going- a 1947 Studebaker. No respectable girls would even get in it.
  • Thanks Mike and yes, I'll be dropping the oil delivery pipe (sump fill) exactly where you predicted and for the same reason you stated! I have weathered and created the "oil spills" around the tank upper rim and on the bottom and the support timbers. Will add a few along the joints of the sump fill pipe that drops down from the top of the tank.

I have posted here a couple of pics of my finished main oil delivery pipe assembly that lives under the Tower dock and tank platform.

So, I figure your 1947 Studebaker must have had very little wear to the back seat upholstery!

P8200020
    Main Oil Delivery Pipe Assembly. The valve handwheel casting will be detailed and attached to the globe valve post as shown.

P8200019a
  • Wonderful execution there Mr. Grunge...
  • Gee...I'm getting a few names here; dirty, soiled, grungy....that in some circles would be quite offensive...but here...lovin it! Appreciate that sir.

Close up of valve and "T", such wonderful materials to detail...

P8200020
  • Wondering what you used for the bolts holding the strapping in place, hex or round? Just jesting as mine are self adhesive. Brilliant Ken.
  • Beautiful work. I just started reading the thread yesterday. I am looking forward to building this kit. I only hope I can do half as well as you. Now that I am caught up you need to work faster. No more wasting time sleeping at night.
  • Thanks Alan, maybe I'll use it as a manhole cover.

Bryan, I have seen many large oil tank storage units painted silver/white. Probably would over power this type of scene unless very weathered but certainly would be prototypical in many situations.

Well Michael, haven't heard from you lately and glad to have you "check in". Thanks for your thoughts. Right, those are just small glued on bolt heads.

Appreciate that Jerry and welcome to the thread here. Nice to hear you'll be building O'Neills as it is a wonderful kit full of character and a real joy to model as we have all come to expect from SWSM. Coming along and I'll be putting the components on the diorama very soon and pulling everything together. Hey...much is accomplished in modeling by monitoring the inside of your eyelids!...Ken
  • Looks really great Ken. The tank is perfect and that piping looks incredible, it's such a cool detail.

-Steve
  • Thanks Steve, and you're right the piping detail Brett included with that awesome tank is cool, cool stuff!
  • Ken,
    FANTASTIC! Enough said.
    Jim
  • Ken, you continue to amaze me with your detail. You must have retired from the Hospital and are working at this full time. Keep up the good work. Phil
  • Hey Jim, appreciate that. Some of my favorite things to model...

Thanks Phil, so you haven't noticed how slow I am, glad to hear that! I'm down to single digits until retirement so still carving out time to work at the bench. It's really nice how Brett has broken down O'Neills into the various sub-assemblies which suit my modeling style, and would assume that of others, of seeing each component as a model into itself and working the detailing out accordingly. I have now completed most of these components and will soon be bringing it all together into a diorama...slinging dirt is just around the corner!...Ken
  • I can't wait. BTW I have a vacation coming at the beach. I know ... September ... but it's quiet and I'm bringing the mine so I can start it. Phil
  • So the Deer Creek Mine is your next project? Good choice. As I mentioned, I'm starting to formulate a plan for my next project as well. We'll see how that goes but right now...full concentration on O'Neills!...Ken
  • Initial work up on the wood fence that runs along the access road for the Oil Sump Drive Through is complete. Each board is grained and stained, then detailed with a bit more weathering along the bottom where the boards would be in contact with the ground. A bit more blending with a light application of chalks may be in order but I'll wait until it's ready to go on the dio before deciding any final work.

P8250015
  • I see it, I see it...a couple little light spots along the bottom...I'm on it!...Ken
  • The fence looks great Ken, the bottom has a great rotten look.