visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale O'Neills Fabrication Official Forum Build

Comments

• Ken The details are unbelievable and the close ups work really well. I wonder how mine you look "THAT" close up. I was unsure if there was uncollected post in the post box? I think that would be a step too far.
    I now have to go back and re-look at the lack of detailing on my welding shop.
    Michael
  • Hey Michael...appreciate that and it always is an eye opener when you take some really close shots but does serve to improve your modeling as well. I'll see things on a close shot and say "oh...got to fix that". Yea, that's a cool mail box casting Brett came up with for sure. Of course, as you know, the one side I did not show has all the hoses and cables and such hanging on the wall...working on that stuff now...Ken
  • Man the shop just looks grimy and gritty, perfect! love the decking outside the front wall. Those boards look really well worn.
  • Thanks Brett, you know me...the more "crusty" the better. I wanted a good contrast between the dock and the shop siding. Once everything is together on the diorama I'll come back and add dirt, leaves, trash, etc...here and there where it would accumulate along the outside wall in front.
  • Ken. I was trying "read" what you have done with the fire extinguisher? Michael
  • Michael, Painted the main body red, hose black, and the turn wheel grey, added a small label and a mounting base and weathered with chalk. The following picture illustrates this reasonably well.P7010021
  • Ken Did you cut the hose away from the body of the fire extinguisher please? I see a significant gap in your photo. I started cutting the hose away but stopped half way as breakage seemed likely and its a long way to post a replacement. Michael
  • Looks great Ken. The detailing is perfect.

-Steve
  • Hi Ken

Wonderful wonderful modelling my friend. Love it.
  • Right Michael, take care not to cut through the hose casting. If that occurs, no worries just carefully glue it back on.

Howdy Steve C., getting my feet wet here posting images on the new format. Future images should improve. Thanks for your thoughts here.

Nice hearing from you Wes and appreciate the encouragement and I'm certainly having a ball working up O'Neills, such a joy to work Brett's kits as we all know...Ken
  • Welding shop has been glued to the Dock and the final wall details are completed. I am now working up the Addition floor support, porch and stairs...

P7220019

P7220022

Hand held shot and trying to hold it still but the chains are bouncing back and forth just a bit...

P7220015

Cool "mood" shot...back at it...Ken
  • Looks great Ken. I really like the rope and the cylinder head gasket details.

-Steve
  • Nice. A long handled tool hanging on the wall might give some visual interest as a contrast to the other items that have similar shapes.
  • Thanks Steve, those items added to give a bit of variety to the various chains, hoses, clevis castings, etc...

Thanks Bryan...
  • Finished up the Addition floor support and porch. Next up, Upper Deck and Lower Landing ...Ken

P7230014

P7230015

P7230016
  • How far off the ground are all those materials hanging? I've often been puzzled about how to explain how the LP are supposed to be able to reach some of these things when putting them up/taking them down... Perhaps an occasional folded step ladder leaning against a wall or a short piece of straight ladder on the ground nearby? Also give some consideration to the weight of some of the items these guys are supposed to be able to hoist by hand...?
  • If you go look at completed pics of the diorama you will see a ladder leaning against the welding shop wall... just for that purpose.
  • Upper Deck and Lower Landing....P7250022

P7250024
  • edited July 2016
    Hey Ken,

The build looks really good. For some reason, I wasn't getting the updates on your build. It said I had 22 new messages associated with your build thread when I logged in tonite.

Anyways, I'm all caught up now...
    Alan
  • Awesome. Love the lines on that side of the building...
  • Thanks Alan, thanks for checking it out.

Appreciate that Brett. Such a great design to tie the Tower, Main Building and Welding Shop together. Suspended platforms and walkways always look so cool, add the O'Neills Oil Tank in there and what a combination...Ken
  • Very nice Ken. Have you started on any of the shingles yet?

-Steve
  • Ken I am really worried. If the guys who built the original, see yours, they would probably want to go back and make a better job of the original! If I did not know you better I would think your structure is closer to 12 inches to the foot, rather HO scale.
    Your exceptionally high standards certainly encourage me to attempt to emulate you. Note Attempt! Michael
  • Ken I wish you would stop showing off. Its getting a bit much. HAHA

Wonderful stuff.
  • edited July 2016
    Hi Steve, thanks and nope, I haven't done any shingles yet as I need to make a supply run to Hobby Lobby and pick up some craft paint in the brown palate of colors. Will have the shingling done by this weekend and will post an update.

Well there you are Michael, missed your "conversation" of late. Very nice comments and appreciate your analogy. I do enjoy trying to model in a larger scale than I am and certainly tickled when folks, like you all here, notice the work.

Hey Wes, good to hear from you my man! I have to try and squeeze some response out of you guys cause I'm certainly not impressing my wife (a little) or the dog (nothin)! Kidding aside I am very humbled by your thoughts...thanks.

I can't believe the quality of modeling from everyone here and I mean everyone. Look around and you won't find a better group of modelers than is right here.
  • HAHA. Too true. Nice to come to a place like this where everyone is just as interested as you. Look forward to the next update bud.
  • Ken, I haven't forgotten you and am trying to catch up. We've moved in our new house, but my honey do list is a mile long. I think I forgot how to model. Oh well, one of these days .....
  • Well put Wes...love this stuff don't we...

I know you're out there Phil and busy...get settled and get modeling!
  • edited July 2016
    I have shingled the Tower Roof first, to be then followed by the Welding Shop roof. The assembly of the Tower Roof went off without a hitch. The peel and stick shingle rows work wonderfully keeping each row perfectly aligned as you move up the roof. I went with a darker color palate for my O'Neills roof to somewhat match the flavor of things...The roof will be installed on the Tower and a really nice final and stack will be detailed an added as well.

P7290026

P7290024