visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Best 60 tractor build

At Karls suggestion, I am reposting the photos from my build, this will make it easier for anyone looking for the tractor build to find this build. I invite all who are doing a build of this tractor to post them here also.

Comments

• I'll be posting my photos from my version of the Best Model 60 Tractor build until it's complete. The only changes I've made are some painting and weathering differences from Brett's instructions. I know both he and many here on the forum support creativity and want to see how you want to build your kit. It's a great kit, the details are just what you'd expect from Brett. Feel free to ask any questions about paint and color choices. My goal is to make the tractor look well used, not abused, with some rust, dirt, and wear showing up. This way it can visit my tractor repair when it's not in the woods working the logging camp. Enjoy your build, looking forward to seeing other builds, and suggestions here.
  • This is the progress so far, and yes, there are a few mistakes....Brett has the directions up, but I started mine as soon as I got it....you'll see the fixes in the next round of photos later. Finishing up the corrugated panels for the roof, and starting to weather it up with chalks and some oil leaks and such....
  • Looking great so far Art, I'm looking forward to seeing your next steps.
  • Art,
    Thanks for reposting this build on its own to make it easier to find. I am looking forward to your next steps and weathering.
    Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Nice build so far
  • Looks great Art.

Jerry
  • Art, I started another build thread for my 60. I see now that you invited others to post here. I guess I should have done that but thought it might get confusing if I jumped in here before yours was finished. It's a fun kit. I don't know if you glued on your roof supports yet, but it looks like you have the front one reversed. The angled section should go towards the front. If it's already glued in, it probably will be OK anyway. Looks great.
  • looking forward to seeing the "sixty" all weathered up!
  • Jim....if you want to post a few finished photos here...and reference your thread...it will allow people to come to one thread to see a few different builds
  • Art, good idea. I'll do that after you've finished your build and posted.
  • Art, I'll take you up on that. I'm going with the black/red/gold paint scheme. The base coat is on with weathering about to start. I used muted colors which will help with next step. German Tanker Black for black. 2/3 Brilliant Red, 1/3 Shadow Flesh for red. Tarnished Brass for gold. Will need to touch up the gold a bit more as seen in the photo. The black will be a tough base for weathering so it will be light. Some fading, dust around the bolts, engine grime, chipping on treads and accumulated dirt, etc.IMG_1314
  • I've stopped using the flat black as a base coat. I like the way the Rustoleum Dark Gray auto primer looks...to me it looks like a dulled black.....weathered a bit....I use it on basically everything now....
  • Nifty colors.
  • Here's a few with it weathered pretty much as much as I'll do before I decide where it's going on the layout.....it need some dirt in the tracks....and I have a few details I want to add to it.....the look is a dozer that's out everyday in the woods hauling lumber.....it will also look good at the tractor repair facility.... SW Best W 1
    SW Best W 2
    SW Best W 3
    SW Best W 4
    SW Best W 5
  • I need to get better focus and lighting it appears....
  • Art it looks very good. I like the treads gearing colors and weathering. Randy
  • Thanks Randy, I want it to look used.....I also like my buddy Aarons yellow version...I think I need to buy another to try that route too...
  • Very nice! Nice weathering!
  • You achieved the “look” you were going for. Great work!
  • Art, nicely done. You nailed it. Maybe you could get a few shots outside, that would help with the lighting. I really like the front; the radiator looks great.
  • Brian, I really love that color scheme. I can't wait to see what you do with the weathering. Might just have to try another one of these.
  • Looking great gentlemen, what a fun kit.

Art, really love your finished sixty!

Bryan, love the paint scheme! Classic.
  • Nice work Art! Will really look nice on the layout.
  • edited December 2023
    Aarons build has made me want to do a Cat yellow version.....have to wait till after Christmas to order....waiting on some scale wire rope to add to the dozer.....
  • Yellow always takes dirt, grime, and weathering really well. Sounds like a good project Art.
  • Looks terrific Art,
    As you say, maybe pull the camera back a little to get it more in focus, that usually helps me. or the macro setting.
    Either way, looking good so far.

• That will look good on the layout.
  • Art.
    Just something that I do is take a small amount of white chalk and give it a dusting for me that brings out the details. .......
  • edited December 2023
    Art invited me to post of few pictures of my Best 60 model here so that there will be one thread to see a few variations of this model. There are a few prototypical paint schemes of this crawler that I've seen online and along with Aaron's amazing yellow version (which is in a different thread), we have almost all of them represented here.

IMG_2031

IMG_2033