visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Blacksmith build

Was just going to post these on the 3D details thread, but since I am going to build a blacksmith shop...I figured I'd start a new thread.....the shop will sit right next to the Tractor repair shop....so here goes

Comments

• Initial paint...no weathering....needs some touch ups.....
  • edited September 2023
    Ok...have a few more...but they just don't want to post for some reason...I'll try later...it's probably the 100 degree heat here in Jersey....but check out that grate....it's unreal....Brett has made some really great prints here....
  • Great start on the foundry details.
  • initial detail works looks great Art! Look forward to seeing your shop come together.
  • This is going to be a great scene Art, I look forward to following along.
  • Ok...have a few more...but they just don't want to post for some reason...I'll try later...it's probably the 100 degree heat here in Jersey....but check out that grate....it's unreal....Brett has made some really great prints here....

I sent you a message!

Nice start on the Blacksmith shop.

Jerry

• Just ordered a book on blacksmithing methods and tools....I think it will be a good reference along with all the online info. I was also just at the Mystic Seaport and visited their extensive blacksmiths shop. I also have Alaire Village which has an active shop that I plan on a few visits to "get it right"....work continues...
  • Research is a great tool in our modeling Art,
    I'll admit, unless something has lit a fire in me and I'm fully enthused I find it hard to do.
    However, there is so much available these days it is easier than ever.
    Learning is always good and research often turns up new and original ideas.
  • Would blacksmith equipment be out of place at, say, a shipyard?
  • ALCO said:

Would blacksmith equipment be out of place at, say, a shipyard?

I don't think it would be.

Jerry

• Even if there isn't a reason, I would invent one to put it on my diorama !!!! :wink:
  • Very nice setup.
  • Let’s do some ‘smithing…well done
    Terry
  • Art,
    Do you plan to tinker with the forge and add a fire in the box?
    Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Dave, yes I already have a LED fire simulator for it....I plane to have a removable roof so all the tools and such will be visible...
    And blacksmith skills would be needed in almost every industrial endeavor back it the 1800's and early 1900's.
    I was just at the Mystic Seaport in Conn. and they had a rather large blacksmith's shop....
    Right now I'm working out a floor plan.....waiting for the book I ordered.....
  • I tried again to post a photo to no avail...
  • Art, Email me the pic to jacksonpainter@hotmail.com, I'll see if I can see what the problem is.
    Remember file size 175k or less and file name " .jpg " only ....
    .jpeg will not work.
  • I'll do that....sometimes it works...sometimes no
  • Art, the problem was the file size.
    The first picture was 2mb, the second was 3mb. That is too big to post on the forums. I reduced the file sizes down to 160k for you, here are your pics for you.

drill sierra west

Mystic blacksmith
  • Thanks....both photo's are from the Mystic Seaport blacksmith shop. Gives you an idea of the tools and set up....plus that drill looks very familiar
  • Love the set of pics both your 3D Printed set progress and the MS shop photos... So much so see.
  • Brett...as I get the chance...I'll put up a few more....I love finding mechanical stuff to model in situ...you get to see the colors, tones, grim and dirt.....I also have a lot of machine shop photos from the East Broad Top shop and roundhouse that may be of interest with your up coming machine shop stuff...
  • A few more blacksmith photos....
  • Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry
  • Great pictures! Lots of ideas here.
  • Wonderful pics Art...I'm getting close to working my blacksmith details up for my current build.
  • Yes, thank you for the photos - I did look up the Mystic Lake Blacksmith Shop on-line and it led me to this website.

https://mysticseaport.org/explore/village/shipsmith/

Alco asked "Would blacksmith equipment be out of place at, say, a shipyard?"

Interesting that this link actually calls it a Shipsmith Shop, so it should fit nicely in a shipyard.

For what it's worth.
  • Love that, "Shipsmith Shop"! Thanks for the info Ray.