visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

glandesjr from Chicago

Comments

• Thanks, gentlemen. Your guidance and tutorials are the key. I follow Kebmo's help and Ken's tutorials, along with Brett's awesome directions and it is a lot easier. These cars were a lot of fun to build. You guys have a great weekend.
  • I shouldn't forget Robert and brownbr. The recent build by Robert and the pics is an inspiration in and of itself. Take care.
  • Have really enjoyed your participation and postings here on the forum George. Glad to hear you find the tutorials I and others have provided helpful. So nice to have this forum to keep us all connected and motivated. You have a great weekend also!
  • Thanks, Ken. It's great to hear from you and yes, your Dr. Grunge wood tutorial is amazing. I read it every time before I start a build to remind me of your techniques. Lots of time I forget one step or another so it is a huge help. The amount of time you took to put that together is truly appreciated as I can only imagine what it took. Your model skills are truly spectacular and I, for one, greatly appreciate your sharing with all of us. Have a great week.
  • Really appreciate that George, makes it all worth while!
  • Those cars turned out very nice!
  • Hey Tom, I just figured it out. You meant the two maintenance cars. Thanks for that. I enjoyed building them. My alzheimer's is starting to show :). It's amazing how long it took me to build each of them because even though they are small, to get it right i really had to go slow. But they were fun and did turn out pretty well. Thanks again.
  • George, the fun is in the building no matter how long it takes. Just enjoy!
  • TomMich said:

George, the fun is in the building no matter how long it takes. Just enjoy!

Wise advice Tom,
    (I've still got, just a couple, of ten year old builds to finish up)
    It's all about the journey ...

• Well Karl, 10 years may be a little stretch! In any case it is an enjoyable journey.
  • Yeah, of course you're both right. 10 years, Karl, like Tom said that is a loooong time. I don't even have room to store a build like that. I've got too much ADD and OCD to let me do that
  • edited July 2022
    glandesjr said:

...10 years, Karl, like Tom said that is a loooong time...

Yeah well, sometimes you've just gotta hit it when the feelings right...

Besides, I did have other things 'in development' and going on during that time.
    I did however get four of the (long term) builds finished last year, as seen.
    So, now there's only three 'old' build finishes left to go.
    In between all the 'new things' ... haha

• I can relate Karl, I started a Campbell model back in the day then got "distracted" with life, career, family, etc. 20 years later just before I was planning on retiring I picked that model up, dusted it off and finished it. It sat on my workbench right where I left it. It got many things piled on it as well as a good layer of dust. But it came through non the less for wear. And that's when I started me back into modeling.
  • I like most of you have unfinished builds.....some very unfinished.....I get I wouldn't say bored with some things.....but a change of venue seems to incite more interest....looking at the build shelves...I have at least 6 major kits in the works.....the sawmill being the largest....not having enough time at the end of each day makes it hard to make progress.....so much for being retired and spare time...
  • That is a really interesting perspective. I had no idea so many of you actually have models you have started, and then put on the "shelf" for a number of years. I can't do that and have to finish it probably due to my OCD. I have never had multiple models going at the same time. It is really interesting to hear all of your perspectives with regards to this. Sometimes I lose a bit of interest in a model like mentioned above, but instead of starting a new one, I wait until the interest returns and then get it done. Thank you for sharing what you do.
  • George, I like you have to finish a model that I have started. I don't like unfinished items sitting around. Plus I don't have a lot of extra room for them. Sometimes I get tired of working on the same model that is taking a while, but I muddle through it in order to finish it. Sometimes I take a short break and paint some detail parts or make a small detail like a work bench or cabinet. Usually that's just enough of a break for the interest to return.
  • One of the plus's of having a few irons in the fire....is ending up with crossover of some of the details.....I don't always plan to use all on every model....so some from the sawmill may end up in the foundry....and visa versa....
  • Having extra details makes sense. I have a little bag of the extra oil drums, kegs, etc because they don't all fit in a kit since Brett gives us so many (which I love). Using them for other kits is also what I do. Thanks.
  • I have a question regarding the painting of castings. When I put down the initial primer I put my castings on a tongue depressor and then spray them. Sometimes I then paint them on the tongue depressor as well, but I see many of you put every casting on a toothpick, which I have also done but not to the degree I see most of you do. Do you even put the tiny castings on toothpicks? This is a lot of holes to drill and do you glue the castings to the toothpicks? Your input would be helpful. Thanks.
  • edited August 2022
    I describe this in my details thread.
    Along with... what, why and how.
  • I rarely use toothpicks but rather than tongue depressors I use wood paint paddles…
    Terry
  • Personal preference here. I like the toothpick for pieces like drums, barrels, screw jacks, etc... A crate can easily be weathered on a stick without compromising on quality. Experiment and see what works best for you.
  • I agree with Brett, whatever works best for you. Personally, I haven’t drilled a hole in a casting for years.
  • I did see that Karl, which prompted my question. It is an excellent tutorial and a lot of help to me. I've read it several times and it gives really great advice in painting castings. I'm always curious what others are doing and the fact that so many use different methods. I like the demonstration of painting the larger pieces on the tongue depressor. I never thought of that as I pulled them off once primed and then painted them. Kind of idiotic now that you showed to keep them on, Karl. I also never thought of wood paint paddles. Home Depot here I come. Thank you very much for your thoughts. I will modify the way I've been doing mine based on your suggestions.
  • I use both methods as described by Brett.
  • I use both methods as well, depending on what the part is. Barrels and drums are best on toothpicks for me. I clip the ends of the toothpick off with a nail clippers to get a less tapered end. They seem to friction fit better and you dont have to drill so deep. On some of the larger ones, I do put a drop of AC glue in the hole to make sure the toothpick does not come loose. When done, I either twist off and clean up the fibers left behind or just clip them and file smooth.
    By no means am I an expert, it just works well for the clubs I call fingers!
  • One method I've used is to take a 1/4" dowel about 4" long...put one of those 2 sided sticky dot (which can be found in 1/4" diameter too) and stick the detail on it....gives you the ability to "twirl" the detail whilst painting and detailing....and I can also spray on washes of fixative and keep my fingers "unweathered"....the dot lasts a while so several items can be done
  • To hold the dowel in between detailing sessions i have a 2"x2"x 12" piece of wood with 1/4" holes drilled in it...
  • That's a great idea. I gotta try it. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.
  • I'll post some photos with my build...