visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

glandesjr from Chicago

Good Afternoon:
Just wanted to introduce myself. I have watched this forum for years and Brett was kind enough to allow me to participate more fully. I have had the opportunity to build a number of the Sierra West models and truly love 'em. I have learned a tremendous amount following the tutorials from gentlemen such as Mr. Kearns and his wood clinic, as well as others, so I look forward to being able to join in more learning. Thank you for all that you share in helping us beginner modelers get better.

Comments

• Welcome to the forum...hope to see some of your work...
  • Welcome to the forum, great to have you join with us.
    Looking forward to your participation and seeing some of your work.

Name?
  • Welcome aboard . Glad to have you along
    Terry
  • Welcome George and really nice having you here on the forum. Everyone would enjoy seeing your work as you mentioned you've worked up a number of SWSM kits. Throw out a list of what kits you've built thus far. Keep in touch.
  • Welcom. glandesjr as a relative new member myself I think you will find that this group of modelers are very encouraging, supportive and helpful. I hope to see some fo your SW projects on the future. Randy
  • Welcome George, so very happy to have your participation in the forum!
  • Good Morning Fellow Modelers:
    What a great welcome and start to my participation. Thank you for such a warm welcome. Many of you asked what models I have built. My scale of trains is On30 so
    I have been building the awesome O gauge models that Brett produces. I have built the Wood Cutter's Shed, Truck Repair, Mill Engine and Boiler Shed, Tractor Repair Shed, and the two retired models the Rigging and the Tool Sheds. The other models, Railroad Camp, etc. I have yet to build. I don't have a layout yet as we are looking to move and I did not want to have to tear it apart. Anyway that's a quick update as to where I'm at in my modeling career, gentlemen. Like many of you I keep all my manuals and reread them for the valuable tips Brett has in them, and frequently refer back to them to refresh how to do things. Take care and have a great 4th!!
  • welcome aboard homey!
  • Hi George,
    Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing some of your work and hearing your comments on others.
  • Pictures
    So at the risk of embarassing myself I have posted pics of several of the models I have built. I still have a lot to learn, but these 3 are a good representation as to where I'm at in my modeling career. Hopefully I'm doing this right:

Woodctter Shack::
    _DSC0476

_DSC0494

_DSC0489

_DSC0500

Truck Repair:

_DSC0813

_DSC0814

_DSC0819

_DSC0800

Tractor Repair:
    _DSC0513

_DSC0521

_DSC0525

_DSC0531

I put lights in almost all my models and on some of these the green lights need to be "aged". On the tractor repair the welders have a welding light that lights up, the idea of which you guys shared. It looks really cool so thanks for that tip. Take care.
  • You have nothing to be embarrassed about. These are great and your eye has already seen where minor improvements can still be made to the current models. 99% of model railroaders never model to this level. Excellent work.......Rick
  • Welcome aboard sir. I agree with Rick. Never be "embarrassed" about putting your heart and soul into doing the very best you can. These look great. Enjoy what you have accomplished, stand back and take a good look. Something to be very proud of in my opinion! I thank you for sharing.
  • Wow...everything looks great.....you can always say you just got the electric lights installed last week...lol.....excellent work!
  • Thanks guys. I learn so much from you all and I have been blown away by what you guys do. Truly AWESOME!!! You guys keep teaching and building, and I'll keep learning. It's tons of fun to watch you guys build. Truly spectacular modeling. Take care and thanks again for your kind comments.
  • George! You've been hiding your wonderful modeling from us. What a treat to see your dioramas. Well done! Thank you for posting these pics.
  • edited July 2022
    Great to see these wonderful examples of your modeling George. It's always enjoyable to see different versions of these amazing kits.
    As Emery rightly said, never be embarrassed to show the results of your hard work, enjoy the journey and be proud of the results, as you should be. We are all learning from each other and getting new ideas from what we see in others work.

The more that we all share the better our community becomes. Thanks for posting yours so we can all enjoy them.
  • George, why did you hide those great builds !!! Don't do that no more.. :) :)
  • Thanks, MuddyCreekRR. That's a great idea LOL. And hearing those thoughts from Brett, Karl, and Robert makes me want to buy more kits. Hey that's an idea if my wife would agree :) . Actually she is pretty supportive of this hobby. Thanks again and you guys take care. I can't wait to see more builds from you guys!!!
  • I've been using Ultimation's Sander, Repeater, & Slicer which is a super tool. I liked it so much that I bought the Slicer which should get here tomorrow. I use the "other" tool but it won't cut pieces bigger than about 2". Any of you have any experience with the Slicer yet?
  • Hi George, great builds. Thanks for sharing.
  • George, great dioramas. Your use and placement of details really adds life to the scenes. I have had the Ultimation Sander for quite a while and love it! I use it all the time. I ordered the slicer 6/14 and it hasn't arrived yet. It got stuck in customs according to the tracker app. Looking forward to using it though.
  • Great work George! Glad you decided to post your work. Look forward to seeing future projects.
  • Thanks Joe, Tom, and Ken. Learned a lot of this from you guys. Just need to keep learning so i can get closer to your outstanding modeling. Appreciate the feedback and support.
  • Off to a good start. Thanks for sharing.
  • Haven't seen any of these maintenance of way cars on our forum, and they are pretty neat kits. I just completed the second one so i thought I'd share them. Always room for doing better but these turned out pretty well. Thanks for looking._DSC1215
    _DSC1216
    _GML1797
    _GML1806
    _GML1812
  • nice work. i have the blacksmith car on the shelf along with the disconnects. i hope mine turns out as nice as yours did.
  • Beautiful work George !!
  • Nicely done. So much detail packed into those cars.
  • Wonderful George! I love these detailed cars and you nailed them.