visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Morton's Brass & Iron Foundry Build

Comments

• Impressive Rick and very realistic. Thanks for the tutorial. Phil
  • wow. i could NEVER do that. it looks like 1:1 track. exactly like it. i'm serious, we do need to invent some new superlatives.
  • Nice work. The tie plates add a special touch.
  • Have to look into those tie plates. My track work needs improvement.
  • Very nice Rick!
  • Tie plate were not always used on backwoods or low use sidings.....if at all backwoods it would be on mainline.....most lumber concerns laid down track on a temporary basis. Steel was not cheap....you must own a wealthy lumber company....lol
  • Well that makes it easy!
  • ya buzzkill.
  • Thanks all. Yes, backwoods rails were typically straight on the ties. All my other dioramas are that way. I wanted the foundry to be a more important business that even though some of it's customers are backwoods interests, not all are and the foundry is located next to a more primary carrier, thus the tie plates. Most modelers will use flex track to connect their dioramas. All flex track has tie plates. Personal choice in all instances. None are truly wrong....Rick
  • Any way you slice it, I think it looks great Rick!
  • Sorry...not meant as a buzzkill....just an observation. So true that if you would have rolling stock that is carrying a lot of weight...you want solid trackwork. I'm modeling on the layout some very temporary track work using rough cut ties and light rail....all my mainline has plates.....and I use Peco Flex for that.
  • And it does look great...
  • In the spirit of “board on board” modeling, I just might give the tie plates a go. I need to invest an amount of time in the track similar to the structures rather than short changing as I may be wont to do.
  • My intent of this post on track is just that of Alco's comment. We all have a choice of how new/used/abused we do on the structures and surrounding details. The same goes for the track. It is a model in it's own right and can add or distract from the overall scene. Tie plates or not, both prototypical, spend the same amount of time looking at the details of trackwork in the diorama. The state of disrepair, over growth, oil spills, trash, etc. should match that of the rest of the scene.....Rick
  • I like to see track work given attention almost like a model in itself...well done guys.
  • Working on detailing this dio. Massive amount of details. I assigned one of my crew to place this cabinet where it belongs. He wasn't paying attention and forgot to remove the stuff from on top.

IMG_1028

Somehow he succeeded without killing himself.

IMG_1026

No safety officer at this establishment.

Gotta have some fun while working on this fabulous kit. So much more to do.....Rick
  • Yes, Rick, you do have to have fun. Phil
  • Brave guy trying to move a loaded cabinet.
  • Sounds like something I would do!
  • I finally made some progress. I decided I wanted the dock a little more visible and the best way to do that was to widen it. Just too much neat detail to hide in that narrow space. I made a mold of Brett's dock casting and cast another in plaster. I realized the second half needed to be shortened so a truck could still back under the crane. Large concrete pours typically need expansion joints so I carved them at 10' intervals across the dock. My mold did not come out anywhere as good as Brett's (no duh) so had to add real wood end blocks and NBW castings and hide some bubble holes. Also a little carving so it doesn't look like a copy. The forge building is not glued down yet as I still have all the detailing around the pattern and repair shops to do which is easier with the forge out of the way not to mention the crane.

IMG_1056
  • Looking good Rick. Great idea. Phil
  • Looking fantastic Rick. The handtruck is outstanding!
  • Blends right in nicely Rick...love the weathered paint on the Pattern Shop...
  • Creative idea Rick! Leaves more room for details!
  • Great peeling paint effect. I like your take on the dock and looking forward to seeing how it changes the balance of the diorama.
  • Thanks all for your comments. I pondered this from the very beginning, but was unsure if I wanted to do it. I like it so far. The challenge now will be in the remaining detailing since I have more room in the front center than before. Brett's basic detailing will be used around the structures. Just not sure what to do with that extra space yet. Suggestions always welcome.....Rick
  • This is looking fantastic Rick, I'm catching up, peeling paint and stone work look great.
    The tie plates are a step above, the conversation on whether or not they are needed can go either way, situation dependant, the fact that you modeled them at all and so well is what I look at, great work.
    The scenes are coming together so well, I'm looking forward to seeing your next updates.
  • Your concrete looks to be a perfect match
  • Since it is a foundry, perhaps more finished castings on pallets or leaning against a wall, or in crates. On my build I added a gear casting from Durango Press and put it on a custom made pallet. I also added a pallet jack from Alloy Forms. I built mine in November 2019. Had to go back to page 8 of the Recent Discussions section to find it. It's entitled "Another Mortons Foundry Guild" Hopefully you can glean some ideas from there.