visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• thank you mark. i've decided to build more fence. i just ordered the lumber.
  • Last pic...
  • yeah, that's where it's gonna stay. i think i might reverse it so the boards are facing away from the buildings and add more fence, maybe some kind of gate or chain across the drive, and extend the fence down that side all the way to the front. the lumber's on order......
  • Most fences like this have to posts showing on the structure side so turning it around is sound wisdom!
  • Kevin,

I agree with Ken's assessment and your idea to flip the fence so that the boards are facing out and structural elements in. I believe that today's standard building codes would specify boards facing out and posts and bracing in. But who knows when that practice was established and if it applied to commercial buildings.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • i'm just gonna do it because i think it looks silly with the boards in and the posts out for the kind of fence i'm going to do. i consider this type of fence decorative, and looking at posts and runners isn't very decorative from the street side. i've got plenty of lumber so who knows how much fence i'll end up with?
  • i have a quick question, i've wasted about and hour trying to find adequate substitutes for the floquil colors brett recommends for painting the chimney casting. my question is:
    are there solvent based substitutes for:
    signal red
    daylight orange
    rust
    grimy black
    aged concrete
  • edited July 2019
    typed a bunch but then deleted it,
    So, any deep red/purple blotted on along with a bright orange should work well.. blend together to give highlights and low lights. mottled effect is the aim for the base colour.
  • got it. thanks karl.
  • i found a source for the floquil paints (not all of them) so i placed an order for three of the needed colors.
  • edited July 2019
    while waiting for the floquil paints to show up, i've been working on details and decided to create this little scene called, "it's five o'clock somewheres" for the loading dock. the figures came in yesterday's mail, so after i finished building a gate for the fence (in back), i painted these guys and put the scene together. bert and verle knocked off for the day and sat down for a quick game of checkers. they're already on their second beers. musta been a rough day at the grist mill....
    checker fellas

the glue isn't quite dry under the beer bottles, but it'll dry clear. if i were to make o scale cigars, would you even be able to see them?
  • Kevin,

In response to your question in the caption below the checker board game photo above.
    Possibly while looking for the "keys" one might spot the cigars. LOL!

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • the loading dock details are glued down, the structure has been removed from the base and i'm about to start on the scenery.
    i went a little fence happy and now the fence will have a gate in the rear as it returns to the stone wall, and it will wrap around the right rear corner and come up toward the front of the dio. there will be a simple chain across the driveway with a no entry sign suspended from the center of it. ignore the paint on the base. that was just done so i'll have a guide for where to apply the lighter dirt/darker dirt.
    loading dock details

comments, critiques and suggestions welcomed.
  • Looks awesome Kevin! I love the checker players on the dock, really brings it all to life. super well done!
  • The checker players are a nice addition . Most original Kevin.
  • thanks all. i looked at the woodland scenics checker players and they looked like they came right out of a comic book so i thought i'd fabricate my own. started on the scenery last night and took today off (birthday) so i'm heading down to the bench to work on it most of the day today.
    and by the way, i fixed the leg all the way to the left side of the dock.
  • you are a real hoot, ya know that?
  • engine909 said:

I hope to never get tossed off.

We love you brother! You always have a home here...
  • edited July 2019
    such a warm and fuzzy place....

you should institute a rule: everyone on this forum MUST post at least one series of pictures of their modeling efforts per year in order to stay on the forum. :)
  • Kevin...that might just get me off my ‘rear’ and continue with my HO Railroad Camp which has been sitting idle for s good while;-((
    Terry
  • better get goin' dude....
  • i know. i finally got to fly my "W" flag again.....
  • me too, but the dubya flag is still flying as well....
  • As a Mariners fan, Ed what should I fly?? Ah such is life. win one lose 25 or such.

Geezerbill

PS Kevin, wonderful modeling. Really have enjoyed your RR Camp.
  • thank you bill
  • Keb, odd thought, but the plain side of a fence is usually required to face out. I know this because I've been feuding with my neighbors for 25 years. I call them "The Gerbils." They call me "The psycopathic skunkfonker" without the O.
  • What kind of bands are you going to put on the cigars?
  • Nice build!
  • which side of the fence is the plain side?
    think i'm gonna take a pass on the cigars....
    thanks.
  • Keb, it is the side without all the interesting stuff, like posts and crossbars. PLEASE leave it. It is legal anyway unless it is near someone else's property line.