visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Roberts High End Douglas Firs

edited July 2020 in Scenery
After 8 weeks without internet, thanks to you big telecom bastards, I 'm back ( who said that...) Anyway, I didn't do nothing, I made these huge (27 inches) Douglas firs to go on the sawmill diorama. Still need more but a lot of time goes into these giants... :). Yes, there is a dead one amongst them...

DSCN4367

DSCN4374

DSCN4376

Comments

• Holy Cow ( that’s Belgian for Wow)
    Terry
  • edited July 2020
    Words ellude me. Those are simply incredible!!
  • I second: Wow!
  • Actually, there 1/48... :blush:
  • Unbelievable!You will have to share your techniques on these. Can't imagine how long it took to build them....Rick
  • uhmmmm, yeah. those are amazing. jaw on ground...
  • edited July 2020
    Holy S**t Robert, I think those are Bonsai's WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I thought my trees were nice trees, You are going to have to explain how.
  • I was sure they were real trees.....they look more like real trees...than real trees.....
  • Robert,

You are doing it again. Now you are out in the woods taking pictures of trees and claiming they are models. We are on to you but you keep trying to fool us.

Seriously though, there is a poem by Joyce Kilmer that ends with--- only God can make a tree. Apparently, Robert G. works his magic and so can he.

Well done!

• Definitely suitable for the sawmill
  • Beautiful !
  • Amazing stuff Robert. The level of detail matches that of your structure. Just fantastic.
  • OUTSTANDING!!!
  • Amazing as usual Robert
  • The best looking trees I've ever seen. Any words of wisdom on how you made them??

Jerry
  • Agreed. Best ever!
  • 1000% awesome! Stunning! And, I’ll add to the chorus: please share your technique with us.
  • Thanks guys. In the heat of the moment, the intensity of their creation, I forgot to take photos of it , but I'll have to make more for the diorama, so I will do so and give explanation on the next 'batch'. But simply said, it's twisted copper wire. ..again. And a lot of patience...... again....Some 70 hours per tree...
  • man....
    when you come to my house bring me dozen..... :)
  • The twisted copper technique is really the best one. It gives realistic trunks and trees. When it is mastered, results are outstanding...!
  • 70 hours per tree? But I see the results! The “epitome of excellence” as the man once said.
  • edited July 2020
    Might be of interest to revisit this tree build. The firs are build with the same principle. Only the shape is different. And needles and.....pppffff, you get the picture..
    The branches are not made in one session if that can put your minds at ease. :blush:
    Confinement has a bright side...

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/842/growing-fine-scale-trees#latest

I wouldn't eat elephants either, the ivory doesn't digest..
  • Robert,

That "snag" tree is awesome.
    I really like that subtle bend towards the sunlight created in the trunks of these trees. A feature I am thinking that can only be replicated by using twisted wire strands for the trunk.
    Got me thinking monsieur!

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Sorry Dave, the trunks are boxwood, juniper and yew branches that I chose exactly for their shape and toughness. Only the tree tops and the branches of the trees are copper wire. Let nature help where it can. It's difficult enough already. And btw, you can't beat natures perfection. Even in it's imperfection....
  • Robert.G said:

Sorry Dave, the trunks are boxwood, juniper and yew branches that I chose exactly for their shape and toughness. Only the tree tops and the branches of the trees are copper wire. Let nature help where it can. It's difficult enough already. And btw, you can't beat natures perfection. Even in it's imperfection....

do you think you could be a bit more specific? as in; how you connect the branches to the trunks, and the trunk selection process, etc.
    i'm pretty sure i'm not the only guy on here that wants to know.... :)
    treat me like i'm a nitwit....cuz when it comes to this stuff, i am.

• Kevin, see my answer in the Fine scale tree thread. I won't forget you or the others. Just want to do it right. Not quickie quickie... :wink:
  • Robert, once again, mind blown.