visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O scale Tool Shed Build

2»

Comments

• edited January 2017
    Carl, I sure agree with Ken and Phil. Excellent rusting on the tank. Really like it. I'm with Phil, I need a rust clinic!!

Geezerbill
  • I think Ken hit the nail on the head about the "base rust tone". Thanks, Ken. And thanks Krylon. Straight black, I think, is perfect for some items. But the Krylon Camo blackish color already has a "rusty" look to it. Brett's instructions in the kits I've built so far are what I've followed, though I think I might use a few more colors, one of which is almost yellow. I scrape the chalk onto glass and dab a brush into it and look at the casting looking for logical spots for rust. I usually leave the chalk dry. If the casting isn't handled too very much the chalk stays. Alcohol tends to intensify the color.
  • Carl, I just looked at Krylon's camo spray paint color chart. They list a brown that appears to be quite dark but not black. Is this the one you used for the base coat? Your tank weathering is suburb!

Geezerbill
  • That's probably the one. I have to go to Ace shortly to buy another can. I'll confirm.
  • Carl, I just looked at Krylon's camo spray paint color chart. They list a brown that appears to be quite dark but not black. Is this the one you used for the base coat?
    Geezerbill

4292 Krylon Brown Pardo. I sprayed only a coat dense enough to barely cover the casting. The "Brown Pardo" has a great rusty, oldish look.
  • Carl, thank you for the paint confirmation. That tank is, to me spot on. Just love that weathering. Sure wish I could achieve that. So far it hasn't happened :). I have one oil tank left I will practice on. Thanks for sharing!

Geezerbill
  • Nice work so far. Love the rusty tank.
  • Hi Carl,
    I really like the walls. Very nice color and different from other builds I have seen. The tank and castings look great!
    Jim
  • Still working on placement in the layout. I haven't finished the rafters as I'm thinking of adding a sign on the upper part of the shed over the sliding door and don't want to work around a fragile rafter. Since the back of the building won't be seen (at least on this layout) I'm trying to keep the majority of the details up front. I envision a resting wall in the back. Any suggestions? IMG_4546
  • Looks really, really nice Carl. Wonderful color on your shed. Wooden barrel is very good as are all the items in the open cabinet. The steel barrels, gas pump and can on top of your beautiful tank may need a dusting to tone down a bit. However, the modeling look so good.

Geezerbill
  • Thanks, Bill. None of the detail castings have really been weathered as of yet, but that can dose jump out as too bright. I'll jump on it.
  • I agree Bill, that barrel looks really nicely done as does all the details. Love the wood finish contrast between the shed and the dock. Also, like the concrete block peeking out from under my tank...sorry, your tank.