visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O scale Tool Shed Build

I'm finally getting to this great tool shed, and thought I would document the steps, procedures, thoughts I have taken in this build. I have 2 more, much larger kits in my cabinet ( Tractor Repair and O'Neills) so it's time to try to catch up. I wanted this shed to represent a weathered whitewashed or painted building, and decided to use white oil paint for the basic coloration.

I started with chalks and alcohol coloration on the framework

WallFramesChalk

FramesColored

Next I used the same chalk and alcohol technique to color all of the siding, giving it a weathered base. After all the siding pieces were colored I used a tube of cheap white oil paint and a medium stiff wide brush and "pounced" color onto the boards, 5 or 6 at a time. Pouncing is simply stabbing at the wood with absolutely no intention of completely covering it with color. Where I ended up with too much color I used a brush loaded with alcohol and rubbed color out. I tried this almost by accident and I think it works well.

SidingWhiteOil

Here's a closeup of 1 piece

CloseUpSiding

Next I assembled the walls. I flipped the front and sides to fit the position the shed will occupy on my layout. I simply turned over the framework and used the templates "wrong". This picture shows the back wall and right wall assemblies taped to glass. I slide the template under the glass, use double faced tape to tape down the frames and guides.

FramesTaped

Here's a progress pic, closeup

CloseUpSidingAttached

And the completed walls. I sifted a bit too muck black chalk onto a few spots to bring out nail holes, etc., but am confident I can tone that down.

4Walls

Comments

• Love the weathering/coloration of the walls... Can't wait to see more Carl.
  • Great start Carl and really like your idea for the weathered white paint for this build. Something about white that looks so good when weathered. Probably the nifty contrast effect that is created and you did this very well. I like the subtile increased weathering along the bottom of the walls, despite my neck cramping a bit looking at them upright! Just poking at ya...will be following along...Ken
  • The "barn" door was a fun project. I figured that since I had built a similar hanging door for the rigging shed this would be easier. The amazing jigs provided made building a great looking door easier than I thought. It still took a lot of time, but I think the result is okay.
    Framed Door
    FramedDoor

door/wallDoor:Wall

Hung DoorDoorHanging
  • Carl,
    That last picture of your work is much better than okay. The weathered paint, the rust on the slider and the rust starting to bloom out of the door handle are very nice. I notice the nail holes to which are very appropriate in an O scale build.
    Mitch
  • KKarns said:

l. I like the subtile increased weathering along the bottom of the walls, despite my neck cramping a bit looking at them upright! Just poking at ya...will be following along...Ken

I'll see if I can upload a pic that doesn't cramp your neck ! Thanks, Ken, for looking and commenting. Thanks to Brett I can take the time to build a really cool structure that will actually look good.

Mitch, my wife found an old rusty nail when we were in Silverton last summer and I'm trying to use those colors for rust. I'll take a pic of it and post it. Thanks for the positive feedback.
  • I spent an hour this morning cleaning and blackening the metal details using JAX. This afternoon I buffed them down to varying degrees using 0000 steel wool.

IMG_4443
  • This is looking really nice, Carl. The subtle rust coloring give a perfect little "pop" to the barn door. Good stuff!
  • engine909 said:

Carl, You buff well. That last picture is primo.
    ed

LOL, thanks.
  • Thanks, Bill. This is a fun structure.
  • December got away from me. Much too busy with concerts and rehearsals. Back to fun. I laid out the front and left side so I can attach details to them. IMG_4486
  • I'm not sure which side I want the locker and shelves to go on. They're still moveable at this point. IMG_4499
  • Neither casting is fully finished nor weathered. A few garish colors to tone down.
  • The shed floor and some still to be weathered details. IMG_4484
  • Nice work Carl. I can't bring myself to work up my walls a light color but love the look when others do!...I know, makes no sense. I like the staging with the yet to be weathered castings. gives a nice feel to the process and if you can't imagine the pieces in place it's hard to detail them effectively. Great stuff.
  • Thank you, "Dr.Grunge"! Am eagerly awaiting the next post on the weathering thread. My next build is the tractor repair, and expect to be following your lead in making it "grungy".

• well done, keep at it Carl. Love the light walls!
  • I agree...the light walls are something you don't see to often. A nice little change.
    Your floor has a nice range of colors and shows obvious signs of use.
    Coming along nicely, Carl!
  • Fantastic work Carl
  • Great work Carl. Phil
  • Test fitting on layout. I pulled a logging train past it to help hide some of my pink scenery. IMG_4502
  • Great work there I am in favor of the lite color of the walls most of my
    I will call it stuff is on the lite side very nice.
    Another Carl
  • Very nice Carl those log cars are nicely detailed. Love the cow horns over the open shed. I still see pink Carl!
  • Carl, Really great work. Colors look so good. As Ken mentioned, the log cars are also very nicely done. Looking forward to more.

Geezerbill
  • Pink is prevalent it seems. I've thought of locating the RR in the Pink Hills of Southern West Dakota. The logs cars, btw, are straight out of the box Bachman Skeleton cars, primed with Krylon tan and then brush painted with SW paints, then weatherd with chalk. A two day project for six cars.
  • I just rusted up the tank. The piece of nail under it is my rust inspiration. My wife picked it up in Silverton. IMG_4529
  • Taking shape nicely, looking good.
  • Carl, beautiful rusted tank. I love tanks and I love rust, so you must have done this piece just for me! First off...killer casting from Brett...secondly, excellent treatment of said killer tank Carl. Love all the subtle color variation and the base rust tone is terrific. Glad you posted this tank on its own, it deserved special attention...
  • The base coat is a Krylon Camo rattle can. It's not quite black as it has a rusty reddish tint that shows through the black. Killer casting is right, as I was brushing chalk on I noticed every detail.
  • Great job on the rusting Carl. That is why I need a rusting clinic. This is not as easy as it looks and I struggle in this area. Phil