visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

O'Neills Fabrication a different take

Comments

• Thanks for noticing Alan. The lettering, in person, is even fainter than it appears in these newer pictures. I still do not know why the letters are fainter now than they were in previous pictures. Probably has something to do with the white background previously and a darker background now and how the camera adjusts to them.

I have 90% of the castings painted and I hope to start installing them along with the scenery this weekend. Now the fun part.
  • Mitch, looking great. Really fun part of the build when you can start visualizing how things are going to look. Your "different take" is working out terrific. Well done...Ken
  • Excellent job Mitch. The lighting really lets us see all the wonderful coloring/weathering incorporated in your dio.
  • Just started the best part of the build. I will not be adding a track on this side because, depending on the arrangement of future kits, it might not work on my layout. I would like to thank everyone again for your encouragement.

IMG_0001 (640x480)

IMG_0002 (640x480)

IMG_0003 (640x480)

More soon.
  • Good job, Mitch!
    As others have mentioned, the roof is spot on in terms of color and weathering. I really like your scenery treatment along the front edge of the concrete loading dock. Nothing makes me crazier than seeing a gap between the ground and a massive concrete foundation. But you've got it right: random, subtle vegetation without an obvious pattern and a scattering of dirt/gravel material to marry the building to the earth.
    Well done!

It looks like you solved your lighting (photography) problem. If you haven't tried these new LED bulbs, they're worth looking into. I've had good luck using the 'daylight' LED bulbs that have a color value of 5000K. When you shooting pictures of the model, use the "custom" light setting and play around with it. I adjust up and down between 6000 and 5000 until the colors in the pictures match the colors that I see on the model.
  • Good to hear from you Bill. Thanks for commenting.
    I also like your sprayer suggestion. I will try it.
  • An Ohio State fan here. Go Bucks! But this comment belongs in another heading.
  • Some test shots of my details. The interior of my welding shed will not be visible. The sides of the stairs need to be stained I notice.

IMG_0008 (640x480)

IMG_0004 (640x480)

IMG_0006 (640x480)
  • Looking at these pictures, the difference in color between the welding platform and stepsis jarring. The steps must be treated with an AI treatment for them to match. Once that is done do I need to AI the awning and support structure to match those elements? I would not do anything to the main building.
  • Hey Mitch. I think your work here is great. I think the stairs, with the touch up on the side of the treads, look fine. For sure the awning and support look great as is. I think the different contrasting finish is a positive and blends well. It has the appearance of being added later on as a separate project. Scenic work is looking really good as well...Ken
  • I think Brett did an awesome job of weathering these stairs in the O Scale build of this kit. Maybe consider either "chewing up" the middle of the stairs by using the end of a razor blade and scraping away some of the wood or bend them a little in the middle to create a sagging effect. Otherwise, nice job!

Alan
  • Hey Mitch

Wonderful work on the build. I particularly like the way the earth is pushed up against the concrete dock in the last pic. It looks more natural than having a square angle where concrete and earth meet. The trash can at the top of the stairs is a good idea too.

My only critique would be the lamp shade in the last pic is a tad bright. Easy to tone down though.
  • Ken-Thank you for your continued encouragement. I appreciate it. I added the AI stain to the stairs and the awning structure before I read your comments so I was not ignoring you. When I looked at the stairs in the picture they just looked like they were brand new compared to the platform.

Alan-Once I stained the stairs I attempted to weather them further. Now they probably look dangerous. I will post a picture. This is an element that can be fixed, if needed, because it just involves a few boards.

Wes-Thank you for commenting on my build. In looking at the picture I agree the lamp is shiny and needs to be toned down. One of those things I overlooked when viewing the whole scene.

I know there are one hundred views and then only two comments. I regard the silence as if you do not have something good to say then keep quiet. If you do not like what I am doing its okay to tell me. I admit that I am thin skinned but I have a box of tissues. I will be okay.

I encourage all of the "lurkers" to get involved. It helps to make us a better modelers.

• edited October 2016
    Hey Mitch-
    If the color of your stairs still aren't matching up to the welding platform, here's something to try...
    Take some of the dirt that you used as ground cover. Sift it down as fine as possible (like with a nylon stocking). Once you've got the dirt to a powder consitency, use your finger and rub it onto both the steps and the landing. Rub it in as best you can (being careful not to break anything) and then lightly dust them off with a make-up brush.

Rubbing the dirt in will help unify the two so that color differences won't be so glaring. Make sure everything is dry when you do this. No alcohol, glue, wet water...nothing.
  • I darkened the stairs and the awning support to match the welding shop platform. I don't think the supports are so dark that they look out of place next to the main building. I also added a little more scenery to this side of the model.

IMG_0001 (640x480)

IMG_0003 (640x480)

IMG_0002 (640x480)

The awning supports are not fastened to the base yet.
  • I think that looks good. Establishing a traffic pattern in those areas was the right way to go. That's normal and expected on stairs and decks plus it helps mask any minor color differences between the separate structures.

Are you pleased with it?
  • Bill-I must confess that I do not like anything I do right after I have done it. I think, oh God I've ruined it. I will have to buy another kit and start over. A day or two later I will go back and look at it and say to myself its not that bad where I need to start over. That is why I like posting pictures to get constructive criticism from great modelers like you to make me more confident in what I am doing.
    That being said the main building stairs seem okay to me but the welding shop stairs might be too dark, especially in the second picture. I am going to leave it alone because I would probably just end up chasing my tail trying to make it perfect. There will be too many other things to distract the viewer for them to notice the stair color.
    I added some damage to the beams where trucks would have damaged them pulling through.
    I realize the blue welding bottle is too bright.
  • Yes...we all do that. You can fiddle around and change/adjust/re-do forever in an attempt to get it "perfect". But perfection is unattainable. Kind of like a trend mill--no matter how much faster or farther you run, you're still in the same spot!
    Can you live with the model as it is right now? Or, is there a glaring mistake to your eye that can be fixed without 1) wasting too much time or 2) making major structural adjustments? Fix those if necessary, then call it DONE. Do no further work (other than maintenance) from that point forward. Then, grab your next kit and dive in.

I try to improve my modeling skills a little bit with each project. I keep my previous models (along with the manuals and construction notes) close by as a reminder of what I achieved but also so I don't forget the things I'd like to do differently or better.
    There are a couple of little bunk houses I have from the Essentials kit. One has a knot hole the size of an HO person's head; the other has some nail holes eaqually out of scale. Most people would never notice.
    But...I do and I won't make those mistakes again.

You should be proud of you of this model! You did a fine job. Show it to friends and family. I guarantee you not a single person will say "the wood's a little too light over here" or "those stairs seem kinda dark".
    Nope. They'll want to know: How'd you have the patience for this? How long did it take to build? Who taught you how to do this? This is so cool! Etc etc.
  • I agree with Bill 100%. A fine bit of modeling here that you should be very proud of.
  • Thanks for your comments Ed and Bryan.

Bill-Thank you for the kick in the pants. I agree with all your comments.

Here is a picture I snapped with my cell phone this morning before I went off to work. I know it looks like the same thing over and over but the kerosene tank is installed and there is more oil staining under the canopy. I hope the next time I post pictures of this side I hope it is essentially done.

IMG_20161028_080740918 (640x360)
  • Very nice Mitch. Nice shot! Ken
  • Loving the update. What a fantastic job. Scenery looks great! Glad to see the beautifully well lit photos. Thanks for the extra effort posting your build Mitch!!! Lots to take in and enjoy...
  • Mitch, thanks for the updates. I too like the lighting in your shots. You can really see the great detail. Phil
  • This is the current state of my O'Neills build. I will add more scenery soon.

IMG_0001 (640x480)

IMG_0002 (640x480)

IMG_0003 (640x480)

IMG_0005 (640x480)

IMG_0006 (640x480)

IMG_0007 (640x480)

IMG_0008 (640x480)
  • Wow Mitch, really nice. Great attention to detail and scene construction. I love it...Ken
  • Ken said WOW I say wonderful work outstanding.
    Carl
  • Loving it Mitch. The colors are so rich, outstanding!
  • Mitch, your dio is really turning out great. Some terrific modeling.
  • I would like to thank Ken, Carl, Brett, Mike and Ed for your positive comments. They help to keep me motivated.

I am ready to put O'Neills on the shelf. I will be anxiously waiting for the upcoming kits that will be mated to it.

The first set of pictures were shot in my family room in daylight and the last two were back in the basement under fluorescents.

IMG_0007 (640x480)

IMG_0008 (640x480)

IMG_0013 (640x480)

IMG_0010 (640x480)

IMG_0020 (640x480) (640x480)

IMG_0021 (640x480) (640x480)

IMG_0029 (640x480)

IMG_0032 (640x480)

On to the Twin Mills build!
  • Terrific results Mitch. Really like your scrapping scene. Those orangish tanks are spot on. Just a great diorama in all respects. Very well done. I am anxiously awaiting the congener kits to O'Neills as well. Things are shaping up to be an awesome O'Neills complex of kits. Keep us posted on Twin Mills...Ken