visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO O'Neill's Fabrication Non-build thread

1235»

Comments

• Thanks fellows. Here is another view of the drive-thru side taken by Gary Hanson today. Note there are several LP on the diorama, plus a Jordan that Dustin built for me. And on the siding the welding car. The purist dioramas don't have these add-ons, but I think they are very helpful in popular vote contests. Many of the voters don't build models. Mini-scenes and cute can help win.

GBH ONeills
  • I know that not everyone is enamored with LP but to me a scene without them is too much like a ghost town. The main problem I have is that I wish there were more of a choice of figures suitable for these great HO scale SW builds (another reason to be jealous of the larger scales) and I'm sorry but I don't find doing plastic surgery on Preiser figures a tempting second career.
  • Thanks Mike. I keep hoping this 3-D printing concept will result in placing a photo in a copier and cranking out HO figures on the other end. Only a few Preiser figures work without surgery and re-painting.

Hey 909, I was at Hazeltine for three days and didn't see you. Didn't see a lot of shots close-up but it was still exciting- I enjoyed it immensely. My first Ryder Cup but have been to two U.S. Opens, four PGA Championships, and one Masters. Hopefully in 2017 The Open Championship at Royal Birkdale.

Here is a contest model prop that works great for small dioramas I bought at IKEA for about $9- a turntable or "Lazy Susan". Will show all four sides of a model (and all of Brett's kits demand that) even for an against the wall location. Make sure you include some signs telling how to use it! I've used it twice and won- I think it helped.

Ikea turntable Lazy Susan
  • Should these guys be able to make this work it could be the start of interesting things. Their description has not changed in quite a while so I don't know if they're making progress or not. Figures done with some of the figure modeling software available (e.g. Poser) that could be 3D printed (and perhaps have modified/customizable poses) would make any figure available in any scale (and maybe even doable in your own home).
    http://railroadavenue.com/ho-scale-figures/
  • My favorite of the several dozen SWSM structures I have built is the hotel from the Logging Camp Main Street, but I have to say the little welder's shop from O'Neill's might be my new favorite.

I have been working with some 1x4 and 1x2 1:1 scale lumber trying to piece all my dioramas together into a layout of sorts. We'll see- I sure hope this "dead rail" thing catches on quickly so I don't have to solder or wire anything, and they can make the batteries small enough to fit in a HO scale 25 ton Shay.

Another shot of the Welder's Shop

• Looks great Mike. The lighting in the last shot really brings everything out.
  • Just wonderful modeling Mike! I really like the way you have created different scenes with your little people and scenery. Everything flows together perfectly. Thanks so much for describing how you did the removable roofs. I hope to create them in that way in my O scale build. Thanks for sharing your build and congratulations on your award!!

Bill
  • Hi Mike great modelling and appreciate the ideas it gives me on my own O'Neills. I am trying to catch up after a 7 week break which is difficult to work out what you intended to do next. What is the car built from please? I have found the Highway Miniatures rather too difficult to get a successful outcome. So while its the modeller not the kit I am on the look out for alternatives but I need to order as soon as I can as the post to downunder can be slow.
  • Ed, I do plan on being at the Denver NNGC, and I am planning on doing a clinic there. Also thanks to Steve and Bill- nothing like the sun to bring out the details- and draw attention to your screw-ups!

Thaks for the kind words Ed, and Michael, the beautiful little pick-up is the work of Coors2U- thanks Dustin- you are the best. I move this gem around to all my dioramas.
  • Always a pleasure Mike.
  • Great idea with the turntable. The model deserves it.
  • Mike, having taken another look at your superb build I want to mention how much I like the coloration of the welders shop roof. It seems very realistic as I remember a shake roof of ours. Can you describe how you achieved those color tones. Thanks!

Geezerbill