visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sierrawest - Machine Shop Build

13»

Comments

• I planted my home made trees tonite.

- The Deciduous Tree is was created from Sage Brush (trunk portion of the tree), Supertree Material for the leafy branches, and then sprinkled with Flock.

- The Pine Tree was hand made with 30 gauge and 24 gauge wires that were twisted and then glued into a piece of wood and then coated with a bark texture from TheScenicFactory to hide all the wires. The leafs are just Woodland Scenics Foliage that is cut into strips and then glued to the branches.

• I love those sage trees.

The pine looks like a sparse lodgepole pine high up in the mountains somewhere which fits the scene. The branches are peeking through the top of the foliage pad. If you rotate the pads around so the branch peeks out below the foliage pad, this might improve the look of each individual branch.
  • Thanks for the comment Bryan. I actually glued the foliage underneath the branches near the top and as I got near the bottom of the tree to the larger branches that sag, I glued the foliage on top of the branches. Ive seen 3 different articles / videos that recommend this as the "best way" to model this tree...
  • Alan, you're the king of terrain that's for sure! I can't seem to get past flat and/or lumpy. Well conceived and executed...Ken
  • Alan,

I love the trees. Thanks for the reference on the bark material. I'm toying with creating bark for Southern Yellow Pine. With this material and a small screen, I think I can duplicate pine bark. Also, my go-to for limbs on a pine tree is caspia that I paint and flock with foam. I learned this from an ON3 modeler. It translates well to HO. Phil
  • Hey Phil, thanks for the post on the Caspia. I use to use that stuff but now I cant find it anymore at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.
  • Walmart has it too Alan.

Karl.A
  • I get mine from dryflowersrus.com. Phil
  • edited February 2016
    Nearing the finish line. Just letting the Glue/Water mix dry and then need to apply the Bushes, Weeds and Buffalo Grasses. After that I'm adding a Truck and the Bonus Repair Car that came with the kit and I believe that's a wrap...

• Great work Alan! Again, love the terrain and the details look wonderful. Are you going to make the EXPO, I'd love to see this thing first hand? Ken
  • Thanks Kenny...yeah...the 16.5 hour drive is the part I'm struggling with...

• Dio looks great Alan, 16.5 hrs yikes. Thats why I'm flying.
  • Let's see more!
  • Looks fantastic Alan, I'm with Brett on the "Lets see more!"

Karl.A
  • What everyone else said. Plus this is just "AWESOME". An as Brett said Hall of Fame for sure.

Jerry