visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sierrawest - Machine Shop Build

edited December 2015 in HO Scale Builds
Restarting the previous build thread for the Machine Shop that got deleted. Still working thru the weathering on the 100+ castings. I am using Brett's new weather technique (easy with awesome results) on the Oil Drums and Tanks which can be found in a Tutorial Video that Brett plans on posting on his website soon.

That's all for now...
Alan

Comments

• Great looking weathering on those castings Alan. Could have sworn there were more pictures of your shop before!....?
  • Hi Alan,
    Fantastic job on the kit. I was enjoying watching you build it and glad you are back at it.
    This will make a fantastic scene with your logging cars and the tractor repair shed. I wish I had this kit ever since I saw pictures of Anders Malmberg's build of the kit. Really looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with it. Keep up the great work.
    Jim
  • Hey Jim,

Thanks for the post. Yep, I've studied that build from Anders and have pulled a few ideas from it.

Happy New Year!
    Alan
  • Drums look perfect...
  • edited January 2016
    Here are a few updates:

Castings are done...finally.

If you remember from my original build thread, the Famous Front Stonewall on this kit which is made of resin shrank on all four sides due to age...I think its now 15 years old. Because of this, my other walls didn't line up correctly. To fix this situation, I put a piece of wood under the front wall to raise it up. To fix the sides, I created 2 worn looking beams (one for each side) from scratch and added a few NBWs to increase the walls width. If you look at Brett's white template right below the stone wall, you can see how it shrank by 1/4 inch...

On the other picture, I added the hand laid the railroad ties from Fasttracks. I used 2 shades of brown chalk, black chalk and rubbing alcohol to "crudely" stain them. I used Weldbond glue to hold them in place. Since the instructions call for the ties to be sunken in the ground, you wont see but the very tops of the ties when the diorama's complete Hence the ties don't need to be stained perfectly and it doesn't matter that the glue oozed out the sides.

Also, if you look inside the structure of the main building, up near the top of the 3 wood walls, I added an additional beam to help keep the walls straight. I also ran a wood beam down each corner. All the beams were stained and weathered to match the 2 beams I created for the stone wall. After building each of the wood walls, I kept them pressed under a stack of bricks for a week to take the moisture of the glue out of the them..but apparently that wasn't long enough as they still warped on me a little...

That's all for now...

• Great modeling Alan. The rough sawn board effect you achieved is wonderful! Stone coloring is particularly good. Awesome update and look forward to more progress.
  • yeah, gotta agree with Ken. Love the wood wall...
  • That's how you do it! A little out of the box thinking to clear a hurdle. Some NBW's to go along with the timber and you've come up with a very prototypical solution to solve a modeling problem. Well done, Alan!

Nice work all around.
  • edited January 2016
    Hey, Thanks for the comments Ken, Brett and Bill. Now that fun part starts where all the little scenes get created using Brett's - famous castings. This right here is what makes Sierrawest the best Craftsmen kits...

The boiler scene...I'll go back later and finalize it such as clean up the wood burrs, add oil / grease spots and scatter around some more stuff.

I cant tell from Brett's pictures in the manual how the pipes should be weathered. The one with the insulation is probably pretty accurate but for that lower pipe I'm not sure if it would be rusted or have white water stains on it.

Alan

• This is coming together nice. For weathering pipes, I am always a big fan of wrapping with tissue and color it with dirty alcohol (chalk). Looks like asbestos wrap.
  • Here are a couple of updates of the finished porch...

• Great work Alan. Love the "mood" shots with the lighting. That boiler scene is fantastic!
    I think the weathering on the lower boiler pipe looks fine. Ken
  • I like what I see. That is going to make a great scene.
  • Thanks Ken and Dustin. Any updates for us Dustin?
  • edited January 2016
    Just finished running working lights to the Machine Shop. To help hide the wires, I ran them across the top of the beams and then glue down a thin board over the wires...doesn't cover them all completely as they like to "leak" out the side as seen in the picture...but at least it helps. I also built a small box over top of the 2 black pipes that lead the wires out of the building and under the diorama.

The next step is to run the belts and drive shaft across the ceiling for each of the machines.

That is all...

• I'm glad you are lighting the interior and you will be too. Nice job hiding the wires.
  • edited January 2016
    Finished the roof on the Back Machine shop today. The shingles are an orange paper...I must have missed where it states in the instructions to prime them first. Once I was done with the various weathering techniques that the manual walks you thru, I could still see the orange...hence 2 hours later and a bunch of tinkering, that is the end result. I did decide to glue the roof in place like on my repair shop build since these removable roofs (at least with his earlier kits) always warp and don't lay flat. I also used wood for the crown of the roof instead of what the instructions call for which is hand laying little tiny pieces of individual shingles. Tried that approach first and didn't like the results...

That is all...

• Coming along great Alan. The boiler section and the view you have here has to be one of my favorites. Love to have a peek inside the machine shop extension...Ken
  • Thanks Ken...yeah, actually on page one of this posting are a few pics of the inside...

• Geesh, how did I miss those! Great work and the lathe looks really nice. Ken
  • edited January 2016
    Hey Ken...just curious but is anyone else building these kits besides you and me? If they are, they aren't sharing their builds...and for that I blame you. I think your awesome work has intimated everyone else...
  • Alan, I'm building the water tower, but in the midst of slowly painting the castings. I'm nearing the end and will start posting when I start putting the pieces together. Phil
  • I don't know about that Alan...probably bored everyone silly as slow as I have been going! See...you already got Phil fired up!...I get antsy if I go a few days without working on something...Ken
  • edited January 2016
    Yeah, now there are three of us. Was also wondering what happened to Dave, Bryan, Mike, Dustin, Martin, David, John, Joel, Jim, Tony, Joe, Karl and Bill...haven't seen any builds from those guys recently...
  • Hmm, I have the Foss Landing scheduled to start June 2016. Meanwhile, I have been building "another" manufactures kit.
  • edited January 2016
    Hey Martin, yep... I've been following along on your Wyteck build over on the other forum. Hurry up so you can get onto the Foss Landing build!
  • I like the contrast in colors on the roofs.

Alan, I have not been able to take on any major projects recently because I have found myself back in school. My workbench is now a homework desk. I have been able to work on a few smaller projects around the layout. An hour here-an hour there. I have an assembled and unpainted bulldozer waiting for some free time right now.
  • I'm working on my suff. I have a deadline for the expo. I'll prob do a post build update. Lots to get done before the expo. I've been lurking though.
  • Thanks Bryan...yeah, I guess School will put a damper on things.

Dustin...don't we at least get a sneak preview of what youre working on for the Expo?
  • Think "Twin Mines" wink, wink!