visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Railroad Camp - Stump Creek Lumber RR Office

13»

Comments

• I think it looks good Steve. Work with the guys above comments and it will get even better.
  • edited January 2017
    Steve, such beautiful modeling. You are doing a wonderful job on this kit. The color of the warehouse really stood out to me as awesome. Love the tar paper roof and the color of the stones! Great to be following along.

Geezerbill
  • Thanks for all the kind words and support. Despite a business trip this week, I wanted to keep the momentum going and get the pilings completed for the storage shed. I started by taking a 1/4" dowel and weathered it with a fine blade x-acto saw and a steel brush finished with 0000 steel wool to take off the fuzzies. I then used a combination of Rembrandt pastels with alcohol (raw umber, burnt sienna, and black) followed by some blending with a light wash of AI.

IMG_8225

I then glued the finished pilings in place, When dry I took a block and sanded the tops flat and touched up again with the pastels. The area was finished with some ground cover.

IMG_8230

The final step was to glue the storage shed in place on the pilings.

IMG_8236

Tomorrow I'll get the stairs to the man door, finish detailing the walls and then get started on some SWSM castings for the interior.
    SteveF
  • Being elevated is a nice look for that shed.
    Bryan
  • Steve.
    Looking good but I can see that one of the pilings the one on the South side facing East the forth row in facing North looks a bit lighter in color than the others.
    Carl
  • Tarpaper shed looks great up on pilings. Excellent work Steve!
  • Right, that's one I wouldn't have thought of. Ahh...Stump Creek Lumber...there ya go! I keep going back to your warehouse, wonderful work there. Coming together nicely.
  • I appreciate all the support and Carl you'll have to trust me I did get the color on that piling corrected. I just can't remember if I was facing northeast or southwest when I did it.
    I made a little progress yesterday albeit slow. I always find myself spending too much time picking the color signs, their location and getting them weathered. I did enjoy using the pastel chalks to weather the signs. I don't like any of the white paper to show so I discovered two simple techniques. I thinned the signs with sandpaper, then painted the backs with a dilute burnt umber. After weathering the face of the sign, I then held the sign with a pair of tweezers and touched the edges lightly with a full strength black pastel and alcohol using an 1/8th inch angle shader brush.

IMG_8257

I also constructed some steps and a hand rail for the man door.

IMG_8258

I have more castings to add to the outside and inside of the shed but thought I would get something posted first. I did enjoy building the pallet but need to get it more gray in color. I also plan on putting some items on the open shelves of the cupboard.
    SteveF
  • Steve I am glad that you had taken care of that. Your work is looking fine the steps have a nice worn look about them, I have the same issue with signs can't make up my mind so on most of my work there is very little use of signs.
    Carl
  • Wow Steve, those two signs to the left of the stairs in the last shot look great! Just the right amount of rust and age applied. As Carl, I like the stair work you did there. Your header trim piece above the door looks a bit long in ratio to the vertical trim pieces, unless I'm missing something which is entirely possible!
  • The hardware on the door makes it very authentic
  • Very nice work, looking forward to the added details.
  • Hi Steve,

This is great build. I really like the colors for the main building and the stone colors.The shed is great especially with the pillings. Detailing the interior is awesome it adds one more element to these beautiful models Brett designs. I am really looking forward to seeing the whole thing done. It will be outstanding.
    Jim