visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Logging and Tractor Repair Shed

Comments

• Hey Kenny,

Thanks for the post. Yeah, I tried creating the spikes like yours but I couldnt get a realistic look. Ill post more pics once I finish up the interior.

Alan
  • Alan, everything is looking great. Can't wait to see more pics.
  • Thanks Dustin...the same goes for your Mine Build.
  • Looking really good so far. Loving the scenery...
  • Alan, great blend of colour and details.
  • Thanks Brett and Marty. I should have the interior completed by this weekend. Just finished up with the Blacksmith part tonite. I'll post more photos on Sunday...

Alan
  • Here is a scene of the tractor repair area. I added an Arc Welder Simulator that runs for 20 secs and then shuts off for 2 mins...and then repeats.

Alan

• Come on now! Showing photos of a real shop and pretending its a model! Thats cheating. Really!

Lol.

Marty
  • Ha!

Thanks Marty...
  • As promised, I just finished up the inside of the Repair Shed. I'm now working on the roof.

Happy Viewing...
    Alan

• Alan,

Always enjoy looking at your work. The picture of the welder and the arc flash is very convincing. Objects in the boxes and barrels look like they have been in the same place for 20 years.

Best regards,

Mitch
  • Thanks Mitch. Yeah, I'm going to try and post a video...if that's possible...once this build is done to show off the Arc Welding Effect in action.

Alan
  • Everything looks just superb alan, the wood colouration and the detail painting is terrific.
    Really well done on everything so far.

Karl A

The forum does allow videos within threads, just upload it to youtube and then copy the url into your post. The video will be viewable within the thread.
  • Thanks Karl. I'll have to give that video thing a try once this build is done. To follow up on a comment you made to me about things to do to make sure my roof doesn't warp...didn't you say to "press" the roof for at least a week to get the glue to dry and settle correctly? I currently have the first half of the roof done and its between two boards (protected by wax paper) with 3 bricks on top...

Alan
  • just catching up again- fantastic work! Love all the clutter and bits, and the arc welder is awesome. Spiked ties are great - nothing like the real thing. Fordson tractor too. I forget that this is HO. I really like the last couple of photos posted above on the 31st. - those interior shots are inspiring. And the outside "dirt" and grass are very convincing to.

I had the same problem putting down tractor and car treads so I'll have to try Karl's idea next time re: using cling free ( we call it saran wrap up here).
  • edited June 2015
    James, let the dirt be semi dry before working it, if its wet and sticky... then it will... stick.
    Also, let it fully dry before removing the saran wrap/clingfilm.

Yes Alan that is correct, also remember that dry and cured are different, once all of the moisture is out of the glue and it is fully cured then it will no longer contract (curl). Keep it flat and let it breathe.
  • edited June 2015
    Just finished up with putting the roof in place. I'll post more close ups once the trimming is done. In the meantime, I thought I would try posting my first video...

• Looks wonderful Alan and the video is a nice addition. Well done my good man.
  • Thanks Kenny!!

Finished up with the roof tonite. Took advantage of our good sunset we had...here are the pictures.

Next up is to build another Best Tractor from Rio Grand Models, A Mac Tow Truck from Weisman Models and a maintenance car.

That's all for now...
    Alan

• WOW Alan. Almost expected to see "people" moving around in the shack. Very nice outdoor photo of the repair shed. Beautiful workmanship shown here. Thanks for sharing your build.
  • those shots are wonderful... modeling, lighting, photography. all around simply wonderful.
  • Great photographs. Drama and art in natural balance.
  • Thanks for the nice comments!
    Alan
  • Whose figure did you use for the welder? Did it include a power supply for the welder?
  • Beautiful shots Alan.....job well done.
  • edited June 2015
    Ken-
    Thanks for the comments. When am I going to see updated pictures of your build?

Mike-
    The welder figure came from www.Scalefigures.com
    I also got the blacksmith from the same place.
    See Pics

The Welder Simulator came from www.engineering.com. You have to buy the simulator, the Blue and White LEDs, the power distribution board and the 12V power supply. Total its going to cost about $50. If you need help, you can always reach out to me but otherwise, Tim the owner is awesome. I knew ZERO about electrical until 2 years ago when Tim taught me everything I needed. I also had the simulator custom programmed thru Tim for another $10 in which it runs for 30 seconds and then shuts off for 90 secs...and then repeats. It makes the diorama look more realistic since a guy wouldn't be welding non-stop.

Hope that helps!
    Alan

• The combination of that beautiful sky, some damn fine modeling, and then the interior lighting makes for some fantastic photos, superb shots.

Karl.A
  • Very nice. The outdoor shots are keepers.

Are figures 3027 & 3028 in an exercise class?
  • Thanks Karl for the nice comments...my modeling skills use to look like this until I attended the workshop given by you and Brett. :)

Alan

• Finding SierraWest Scale Models and the tutelage of Brett and Karl early on in my modeling was the most pivotal moment in my mind to get to the level I aspired to. As a side note, you really shouldn't post any of Karl's build pictures without his permission...he's funny that way!:)