visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

FSM EXPO 2015

2»

Comments

• BrianM December 6 Permalink QuoteEditDelete

John, A few comments in addition to Ken's above: I was a "first timer" at the last (2013) Expo and had registered on Brett's recommendation - it was the best a advice I could have got!

Everyone I met were very friendly and made me feel welcome and part of the group. I had signed up for the "Barron's" pass which included four platinum (paid for) clinics and was thankful that I did. They were all great learning opportunities, particularly since I had been out of the hobby for over 30 years and very much a neophyte in terms of current "state of the art" methods in kit and diorama construction.

Notwithstanding Brett's 2015 clinic being sold out I would encourage you to sign up for those available platinum clinics that interest you if you can get into Scranton by Wednesday night. If not, then as Karl said, there are some great free clinics available as part of your general registration fee.

In 2013 I also signed up for the Saturday Awards Banquet and really enjoyed sitting with folk I had not previously met. We all had a great time. In order to get a reasonable air fare I had booked well in advance of Expo (have been full time on the road for the last 20+ years traveling globally so know all the travel tricks) and the 2013 venue necessitated I rent a car so I was able to take in some layout tours on the Wednesday. However, the Expo organizers only announced George Selios' Franklin and South Manchester open house long after I locked in my travel plans so I had to miss that "bucket list" opportunity (waaaay toooo expensive to change my ticket at that late stage!!) which was a major disappointment.

This year I have the same travel dilemma having already booked to arrive Wednesday evening due to prior commitments that week and unfortunately the Expo 2015 organizers have yet to confirm the layout tour schedule.

If you can afford to wait on confirmation of the layout visit schedule before making your airline reservation then I suggest you do so. However, I have now accepted that in my mind the real highlight and purpose for going to Scranton next March is the 2015 Expo and any layout visits I may be able to attend are merely incidental benefits so I will just roll with the punches and take in what I can within the limits of my established travel plans.

Over the past months I have really enjoyed following your ship yard thread and look forward to meeting you in Scranton next March!

BrianM
  • Brian & Ken,

Excellent brief - thank you very much.

I just registered with the two day PARLOR PASS, seems to be good for Thursday & Friday and also signed up for the Saturday night banquet. Missing Brett's seminar, I did not register for any of the others.

I would arrive Wednesday and leave Sunday - hotel is set.

Am I missing anything else that needs to be done now?

Respectfully,
    John

• I will be at Expo 2015.

I hear THE Runner (Mike Engler) as already set up a meet and greet.

Jaime
  • Jaime, that's great . . . what fun we'll all have.

Jaime
    An he's telling everyone the first round is on you! And he doesn't mean Ice Cream!!!

Jerry

Jaime

An he's telling everyone the first round is on you! And he doesn't mean Ice Cream!!!

Jerry

I'll buy everyone a round of what I drink, ice water.

Jaime
  • Similar to the last Expo I have arranged a Meet and Greet for all forum members on Friday March 27 from 7-9pm (or later) at the Hilton Hotel- the convention hotel. Post here and let us know if you will be there- cash bar and food available.
  • Mike I'll be there even if you don't buy the first round!!!

Jerry

• Mike,

Thanks for setting this up. I'll be there.
  • Mike,

What do you mean, "will we be there?". Your effort is the only reason we are all coming. The Hilton might not be big enough for all of us . . . . . .

Respectfully,
    John
  • Ok guys. I have a request. Since I can't be at the expo, I need someone to take a picture of Brett and Karl, as well as yourselfs. I want to see those mugs. Have a great time. Hopefully I can make next year's expo if Brett is going to be there. Phil
  • I'm up there on Wednesday thru Saturday...have to be back in the firehouse for Sunday....I'll be at the meet and greet....also going to head over to Steamtown and the Lackawanna Coal mine museum on wednesday or thursday too
  • The meet and greet will be a great place to get everyone's picture. Phil
  • Here ya go Phil (In case no one gets a picture of me)

• Bill, that's what I thought you looked like. I could tell by your hands in the pictures. Phil
  • I tell my wife if she closes her eyes I look EXACTLY like Bradley Cooper.
    Now I have to get her a white cane and a seeing eye dog for our anniversary.
  • edited March 2015
    Funny...
    made me laugh
  • Wow Bill. We must have been seperated at birth. Thats what I look like.

• There will be a gathering of forum members representing several internet forums one week from today on Friday March 27th, 7-9 PM. There will be a cash bar just outside the amphitheater on the second floor of the Expo hotel, the Scranton Hilton Hotel & Conference Center. Just up the stairs from the front desk. Stop by for a drink or two after dinner, before dinner, as a post-party for Bill's Platinum Clinic, or as a tailgate party prior to the Bob Mitchell- Bill Obenauf "Kitbash", which I'm told will be somewhat like the movie "Whiplash"

Many of you are members of the SWSM Forum, RRLine, Modeler's Forum, Westlake Forum, MRR Forum, Freerails, Yahoo groups, and many more. Name badges will be provided to indicate which forums you belong to and your forum "handles".

Last year we found that almost all who attended were on several forums, and this was a good way to put faces with names and handles, and meet them in person. So far over 50 have indicated they will be stopping by. Hope to see you there.
  • edited April 2015
    The Fine Scale Model Expo is asking for your help in identifying a thief that struck the Expo. Security cameras captured the following sordid individual stealing castings from one of three stunning O Scale dioramas, of the late Brian Nolan, on display at the show. If anyone has any information regarding the identity of this individual please contact Expo officials at once.image
  • edited April 2015
    never seen him...
  • Is there no limit to how low some people will go....
  • Karl, looks so guilty there... great shot Ken!

Karl took some incredible pictures of Brian's dioramas even though he looks like he got caught doing something bad, really bad!
  • edited April 2015
    So where is the evidence? Karl, show us the pictures and to get out of jail.LOL

Marty
  • A shady looking character I must admit that. Said he dropped a beer cap in the bushes and was looking for it!!

Jerry
  • Brett, I got some good shots of Brian's dioramas as well...but none quite as good as this one! Fun had by all....Ken
  • More pictures please!! What about shots of Brett, Ken, Bill, John, etc... Phil
  • edited April 2015
    Brians 'Machine Shop' diorama...

Brians 'Mill Engine and Boiler House' diorama...

Brians 'Machine Shop' diorama...

Karl.A
  • Thanks for the pictures Karl. He was one of the best. Fact is he still is one of the best.

Jerry