visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

FSM EXPO 2015

Is anyone planning to attend the 2015 Expo in Scranton, PA?

Comments

• Glad to hear you'll be there Bill. I'm planning on it as well.
  • I'll be there to learn as much as I can from all of you! And probably spend some $ on details, maybe a kit or two as well.
  • BrianM, very good...make sure you look me up...Bill's hard to miss!...Ken
  • I'm planning on it. We can't let Mike E. take home all the hardware.
  • Dustin, great! make sure we all get together at some point during the show. I plan on just putting a couple of things in the contest room as display only. I contacted the folks there regarding space for display and the general consensus is there will be space available.
  • Ken, after following your numerous build blogs I really look forward to studying your "display only" exhibits.

Same applies to you, Bill, and all you other folk who have perfected modeling skills over many years and choose to either compete or bring "display only" items.

I'll definitely look you all up and hopefully join you all for some social time. If it's still too cold for beer then I'm into either wine or rum and coke and count me in for standing a round at the bar if you so choose!
  • We should all get together for dinner one night... Karls' buying
  • I've booked the hotel and plan on attending only the weekend part of the Expo.
  • I want to go. Is it possible for all of us to stay in the same place? If so, where?

John
  • Me too! Staying at the Hilton.

Paul
  • I've booked at the Hilton. Not sure yet whether I'll bother with a rental car - will depend on what layout tours are available. Otherwise I'll just catch the shuttle or a cab from the airport.
  • Brett, sounds good and thanks Karl for volunteering to buy for the group.

Just received confirmation from Jimmy Deignan that there will be space available for display.

John, go to the Expo web-site and there is a link to register and book a room at the Hilton.
  • Display only area sounds good, I remember STLouis NG when I asked to display a couple of things..... ha.

Looking forward to meeting you all and having a great weekend.

Karl.A

• OK everybody, thanks for the brief. I am reserved for the four show nights shown at the Hilton in the Presidential Suite - well maybe . . . I requested an upgrade! Can't wait to see you all and how even better that we are all going to be at the same place! What fun and at the same time we can infect others with our enthusiasm for Brett's kits!

I'm psyched!

Respectfully,
    John
  • Wow, I just went through the thread again and this looks really great. If any of you need a reliable volunteer that can be counted on, to assist in whatever you are doing please let me know. "Early is on time, on time is late and late is unacceptable".
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Hey John, Glad to hear you'll be hanging out with the SWSM gang at the Expo. Should be a great time and look forward to meeting you. Get that Shipyard done, but don't hurry, and bring it along...
  • Thanks Karl. We'll have a contest to see if you drink more beers than my glasses of wine. What fun, to have so many of us together to swap lies and share experience. Hopefully, one of you wizards can impart a sense of color to me.
  • Man I hate these type of threads. They make me very jealous that Im not going to be there. When Karl buys the first round please can someone have one for me.

Cant wait to see the pics.
  • I was planning on going, but now am not so sure as this sounds like it might be a rough crowd! Seriously, those of you who know me- would I miss this?
  • edited October 2014
    Looking forward to meeting up with you again Mike.
  • I am very excited to attend. I've sort of dropped off the map for a while but am back. Haven't started anything model-wise but I've got a few ideas, now I just need 300hrs to work on them. see you guys then and a big yes to going out for dinner.
    Joel
  • I'll be there from Wed thru Saturday....Steamtown is a blast if you've never been there before....also near by is the Lackawanna Coal mine Tour.....Staying at the Hilton...
  • Well this is working up to be a GREAT gathering! Wes & Mike, please continue to evaluate your ability to attend because you both are prime players here and if you are missing our group will be incomplete. Can you deal with that guilt? Crawl on your hands and knees if necessary . . . Mike, am I reading between the lines that you will be the first in line? If so, then we just need to drag Wes.
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Wes is in South Africa John, so that's gonna be a long haul....

Karl.A
  • John I really wish I could be there. But i will definately be there in spirit and will be eagerly anticipating all of your photos.
  • Oh dear . . . Well Wes, we must arrange a video connection to insert you into all the relevant discussions. Do you use Skype! We could keep you virtually with us.
    John
  • Since I have already missed out on Brett's Platinum Seminar because I did not thoroughly study the Expo web site, would those of you who have done this before please advise if there is anything else I should be doing besides hotel and airline. e.g., I saw photos of a banquet at the end.

Is there something I should be registering for now so I don't miss an event that the rest of you will be doing?

Respectfully,
    John
  • John,

You might find the comments in my earlier response (last entry in the now closed thread) useful.

In addition: if you are signing up (or already have) for the Barron's pass there are still some excellent (at least in my opinion) Platinum clinics available and as Ken said the regular clinics are always really good and cover a wide range of topics and interests. I recommend you attend the Banquet for an enjoyable conclusion to the Expo.
  • edited December 2014
    KKarns December 6 Permalink QuoteEditDelete

Hi John, you didn't need to start a new thread here as there is already one going on the FSM EXPO right below yours? If you look back through that post that you were involved with, I mentioned to you to go to the EXPO website to register. If you had done that you would have seen the various passes, clinics, and other options you could choose from including Brett's clinic. And you are correct, Brett's clinics are one of the first to sell out and we all know why!

Brett's clinic was one that you would have had to purchase and was on a first come first serve basis. However, there are many other good open clinics that you can attend free as part of your registration fee. The EXPO site will explain all this in detail. As far as when to get there, the EXPO schedule will be posted on the site at some point if not already and that will allow you to decide that. No worry that you are not a vendor or do not have a display...just mention that you are involved with the SierraWest Scale Model fraternity and they will let you have the run of the place! Kidding aside, this event is run like most other conventions, you have the main show with all the vendors in a large convention hall of the host hotel, were you are, and the clinics are run from various smaller meeting rooms. You pick and choose which of these free clinics you wish to attend based on the schedule of times and subject matter. You may or may not choose to register for the Saturday night awards dinner where the model contest entries are awarded based on popular vote by Expo attendees. That's about it...sorry if there was any confusion regarding hooking you up to the Expo information, look forward to meeting you. Ken