visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

More Machine Shop Builds

2»

Comments

• Looks great James,
    going too far is always something to be cautious of, and a common mistake.
    Sitting back and just looking for a day or two is always a good move.

Karl.A

• So true - a good modelling mantra.
  • Yes, leave it as it is. It looks great.
  • ok- due to new addition to family, and I spent all summer in Vietnam (the land of rusty corrugated siding roofs!) no time for dioramas. Being summoned as we speak. So i took opportunity to do a but more Machine shop builds. I started the universal miller. One word, no two: follow instructions- I complicated things by making a couple assumptions on order of assembly…. when will i learn…

a bit more:

• wow - last post from me on this thread was almost a full year ago- time flies- yikes.
  • Nice build(s)
  • Nice to see you back at it James. Someone said on the forum here "sign of a good modeler is not that they don't make mistakes...it's how well they fix/hide them!" Machinery looks wonderful...Ken
  • Thanks Ken - words to live by. I read of one modellers advice called the 3 foot rule (1 metre up here in the north) - ask someone to look at it at 3 feet. If it looks good - it is good.
    ( jeez it took me like 2 weeks to respond - crazy )!
  • edited October 2015
    Ahh, James the 3 foot (1 metre) rule does not apply to your work that's for sure. No worries on the response we are all busy and get to stuff when we get to it! Just nice to see you getting some bench time...Ken
  • It's the scale 1 metre, right?
  • OK finally had to take time off work to finish
  • BTW screwing these machines down to a piece of wood helps keep them from getting banged up and makes them easier to work on and safer to store prior to installation.

One of the crank handles now swims with the dust bunnies.
  • Love the weathering and general build up of dirt and byproduct. Nice to see you back at it...Ken
  • Thanks - yeah with little ones around it is REALLY hard to get time. It's all good of course. Thinking about building stuff is fun too!
  • Right James, the planning, thinking, looking, more thinking is enjoyable and time well spent. How many times have we thought of doing something and if we did it right then...it would have been a mistake or we would have wished we had done it differently. Careful thought is always a good strategy in modeling.