visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

More Machine Shop Builds

edited July 2014 in O Scale Builds
here is my first build out of the O SCALE Machine Shop package- the 24" Lathe. This was a fast build helped by the unsurpassed quality of SW castings (I realize now the shadow contrast in these shots is a bit high).
Here are two more shots of the 24" Lathe with an F Scale 28" Lathe as part of a separate project. I post these re: a couple comments:
For anyone who thinks O scale is "big"- check out what it takes to move up a scale! (to be fair, a 28" Lathe is a bigger animal than a 24" lathe of course). But I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in scale if not placed beside each other, as the SW castings are so precise- but there are many tiny handles and levers so make sure you are confident about where they go before gluing (I glued one in the wrong spot just before leaving on a trip- when I got back, I realized the error- luckily I had had a Sailor Jerry's or two when I glued them and I had mixed the epoxy badly so it had never set)!. I kind of buggered up the tailstock level- I've done that on every single machine shop build I've done to date (four)- I don't know what it is about those levers- they are really fussy. I may redo them on both these lathes but not really noticeable once the dust settles. I'll leave any minor repairs / weathering when they get installed.

The other thing is I broke the lead screw casting on the 24" lathe (resin castings can be brittle!) so I replaced the casting with a 1mm threaded rod. On the F Scale lathe, the screw casting was kinked so I replaced it with a 2mm threaded rod.

NB: yes the tool column is missing on the 24" lathe - it's "in the shop" (i.e. on the floor somewhere). And yes, the big back gear on the 28" lathe is in the wrong spot- my five year old daughter was fiddling with it- but it's loose and can be slid back.

Comments

• That's really amazing! What awesome pics comparing the size difference. Your words are so kind and I appreciate them very much. If all your 5 year old daughter did was slide the back gear around well... you are a lucky man indeed! I have many happy memories of my three girls hanging with me while I modeled or poured molds. Man they grow up fast! Enjoy the little fingers helping out!!!!
  • She's really good around this stuff - she loves the idea of kits and instructions and has built several Lego trains and cars - alas, that will probably all change sooner tHan later...
  • I love the effect youve achieved James.

That F scale version is beautiful too.
  • James, that is uncanny - I can't believe your coloring. I need to find someone like you that I can watch doing work like that. Reading instructions and watching are two different things. I can't even get my roof shingles looking OK!

Respectfully,
    John
  • Thanks but there is no magic -'the simpler the better. For the lathes above the only painting was the green on both - one coat. The secret ingredient - the Jax blackeners. Then a little AI with black ink around key areas. Dry blot with chalk as per the instructions ( I don't blot with alcohol afterwards -'I just leave as is). That's it - nothing more . Nothing less. I'm a sloppy modeller so I love these techniques.
  • I should mention one thing I tried here which is in Brett's instruction is a very light buff of some areas with steel wool - it's different than using the Dremel and / or a cloth. Very nice but go very light. Just touch edges and handles. I leave some Jax - blackened stuff un buffed - it leaves a great dirty, and sometimes a bit rusty, oxidation residue.
  • Ok one more thing - I blackened the metal bits AFTER painting - I scratched and chipped the paint, then blackened. I prefer doing it this way now. Very easy to get a nice effect.
  • Next up - the bolt cutter. And a companion F scale one. Check out Jerry's thread of more machine shop builds. I'm building up the nerve to tackle the Universal Miller- not yet though....
  • James, nicely done and great little tutorial as well...
  • Excellent job on both models. That is a HUGE size difference.
  • next up the single bolt cutter
    Here is the SW O scale one with my parallel F scale bashed one…

• edited August 2014
    James,

You amaze me with the subtle colouring and age metal look.
  • I like the extra paint chipping you did on this piece.
  • Beautiful

That chipped yellow paint on the base is amazing.
  • Thanks for kind comments. One thing Brett's instructions note I believe is that just handling pieces after blackening / painting can impart a "natural" weathering to pieces as they are assembled - for the o scale bolt cutter I really didn't do a whole lot - and there is virtually no chalk on it. By contrast the F scale one is mostly resin / plastic except for the pulleys and small wheel so I went very heavy on the chalk.
  • The only thing I added to the O scale cutter is the little NWBs (Scale Hardware) on the pedestal . The casting has the holes for them.

I blew through allot of 0.15 wire for the cooling lines (I see Chuck Doan left the pump off his build!) - I've got to get me some proper wire bending tools.
  • Great job on these machines.

Jerry
  • edited August 2014
    James, I am envious of your coloring.
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Here are two 18" drills - the one on the left is the "derelict" one from Bluesky. The one on the right is the full kit. It's not apparent in this photo really but the derelict one is dustier to reflect its disuse.
    I sailed through the assembly, feeling pretty cocky, then came to rig the belt on the one drill. OMG. I made every mistake in the book, including breaking off the cone pulley as I tightened up the last wrap of the belt. Ack! I was going to squish that little drill but counted to ten and rallied and salvaged it. Lesson learned with belts. Go slow, let everything set and dry at each step. Don't over tighten.
    Here are the two drills with my F scaled bashed (un-rigged!) version:
    I've concluded a couple things on using chalk for dust/ grime: (1) the "umbers" are best (raws to burnts); (2) when in doubt, go with the darker colour. This is, I believe, also an old modeller's rule of thumb for paint colour too. Just as shiny/ bright doesn't look as good at scale, darker colours usually look better too- it's probably just how our minds interpret things at smaller scales. But only use black for very sooty surfaces. Light greys and tans are harder to control but add depth/ variation as highlights, or for splashed or caked on mud. Just my thoughts but all consistent with the SW instructions I believe.
  • here's the ME- #812 engine. It's not quite finished yet:

Here it is with an F a scale Vertical engine for comparison. Also not finished.

for the drive wheels/ pulleys on the 812 kit I left it blackened and buffed. For the F scale one I took some 2500 grit and sanded it down to make it bright. I think either is correct depending on how much the pulley is being used and under what conditions and how old it is I presume. I still need to rig the governor belts on both too.
  • James,
    Beautiful work and excellent comments. Thank you. What you are considering errors are indiscernible.

John
  • Thanks john ... But I just noticed I put the little metering valve on the 812 kit upside down, dagnabit !
  • BTW this is the basic plan for the machine shop- it's the plan for the well known Sierra RR shop from Bill G's great booklet on the prototype:
    There are 13 machines in total not counting the electric motor in the prototype - with the SW kits I have them all now. The #812 engine will power the line from outside the shop instead. Plus I need to add the universal miller somewhere (because it's cool) and probably the 36" drill too. The lathes may be turned 180 degrees from the prototypes to allow for greater divisibility of detail (as placed here) but who knows in the end. I plan to "open up" the sides of the shop (barn doors etc.) to allow for interior viewing of course, something the prototype doesn't feature- always an issue. The building is big - over 40 x 60 feet. I'll try and compress it as much as I can.
  • actually there are only 12 machines in total - the number '14' above is the shop heater- probably why there's a fair amount of space around it… ?
  • Great stuff James. Your weathering appears great and just right for the intended use.
  • edited October 2014
    thanks- I sometimes think my stuff always looks like it's covered in moon dust- but when you look at photos of the prototypes (in this case the Sierra RR machine shop)- everything looks like it's covered in moon dust! It is amazing how monochromatic old shops are with dust, grime, and rust. Here's some final oil staining on the #812 engine:

I tried a formula for highlighting which I got from a fantasy gaming figure painting site: 3 or 4 parts water to one part acrylic floor wax and a bit of acrylic paint. It's supposed to "suck down" into the details, but didn't work- there was still too much surface tension. So I went to the old fall back of dropping drops of rubbing alcohol onto the acrylic paint and let the alcohol work its magic. Once the alcohol has pooled in natural lows, you can float in a bit more black acrylic from a brush to add more stains or highlights.

I wanted there to be oil stains like Chuck Doan did on his version- leaking from the case or thrown from the crank…. I also took a bit of chalk off the base to contrast it a bit more as concrete.
  • James, I really like your coloring and detailing. It looks very real life. Please continue to show us what you are doing. That is how, in particular, new people like me learn. I understand it takes time to post. Thank you for doing so . . .

Respectfully,
    John
  • edited October 2014
    Very nicely done James. The subtle colours and tones look terrific. The textures are also really nice and not over done but definitely visible. great work.
    The oil stains as you said are subtle, but visible and the placement looks right on.

Karl.A
  • James, is that oil stains under the valve assembly? It looks good.
  • thanks for comments. Yes that is the oil stain under the governor - and at the back by the wheels. Now having said all this once everything was dry I did feel the oils stains were too pronounced (which I didn't expect) so I went back with some good old AI and blended things in a bit. Lesson? Stick with the AI for stains and highlights except where you REALLy want there to be stains. And make sure your paint will spread and "sink" (i.e. add something like detergent or windex):
    I'm leaving this one well enough alone for the time being. There's always a danger of going too far...