visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Single Cylinder Mill Engine # ME-812

2»

Comments

• Michael, when it comes to buffing the parts I also use the felt dremel pad, just not the dremel. After spinning a couple of pieces off to oblivion I decided that it spun too fast for me to control. I use the back and forth by hand method now.

I also like to give the wheels a light rub with steel wool on the flat part where the belt goes. Gives a nice worn shine to it. I've always wanted to mask off the edges of the wheels and only shine the center where the belt goes but have never been able to get the mask straight enough.
  • Michael, this is stunning. Please - please continue with lots of input. The more the better!
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Very nice! I'm going to start this kit soon so thanks for posting...
  • Thanks Bryan for the heads up on the dremel felt wheel. I too considered trying to polish only the area where the belt rides. My guess is the belt would occupy 75 to *80% of the wheel surface. With my mill engine that would end up being about a pencil line width on each side. In 1/48 scale I just don't see the concept coming across. In a larger scale say 1/24 or up, this could really work.

John and James thanks for the kind words. James you are more than welcome to add your build to this thread. The more the merrier.

Michael
  • Michael very nice so far.

Jerry
  • Hi Everyone,

Well after a couple weeks of little modeling time, I finally found some bench time today and was able to install (most of) the remaining parts. All that remains is to add the governor belt. The fly wheel and belt wheel still haven't been glued to the crank shaft. Brett recommends leaving the steam in and exhaust out pipes until one is ready to connect them to the boiler.

As always questions, comments and suggestions welcome

Michael
  • Wow, Michael!
  • Very very nice! I plan to build this soon - thanks for posting!
  • Very well done. Now all you need is to grease and crank it up!