visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Request Critique on My Shipyard Build

Comments

• Hi John,
    I'm going to echo what Brett just said. Stay positive. Modeling is a never ending learning process. The fun is learning new techniques and finding a way to make them 'Your Own.'

Michael
  • John, I also think you are being too hard on yourself.
    You are only at the beginning of the shingling process and you are expecting it to look like a finished model.
    The structure is all looking great and you have done a fantastic job so far. The roof will turn out just as well if you follow the instructions and don't second guess yourself. Just relax and keep going.
    Once the roof is shingled you will find that the blending process will bring your roof more inline to others.
    As Brett noted, it is hardly fair to judge your first model against that of an accomplished modeler of many years. You will learn things along the way, you will get to understand processes and their effects, you will take these experiences to your next build and you will improve, just as everyone else has done.

Karl.A
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks friends. I must explain however, my self criticism is really tongue in cheek with self deprecating humor! I am fortunate to have you all sharing your work with elegant pictures and descriptions of your techniques.

This is great fun. I really enjoy the exchanges.

Kind regards to you all,
    John
  • I just use only ink and alcohol soaks to colour wood- just a matter of preference - for wood shingles I have soaked on additional solutions after installation when I haven't been happy with colouring or for extra emphasis. It looks alarming at first but when dry it all works out. However I wouldn't do this if the roof sheathing is card. I have replaced card sheathing with styrene on several kits for this very reason ( or where I've wanted to make roof removable).
  • edited August 2014
    James, that is really interesting. I just went back and looked at your work. I shall study it more. Thank you!
    Respectfully,
    John
  • In as much as Dave has been the only poster in the last couple of days - inspiring to us all - I wish to validate that I at least did a little since returning home. Though only another baby step, I got beyond the knit picky dormer shingle fitting and up close enough to the cupola to stop and RTFQ before possibly getting into where flashing might need to attach. I'll deal with color repair later I guess. I feel satisfied with the flashing/shingle lines. They are uniform and of a width that I feel is reasonably scaled.

By the way, I have an early Christmas present - kit # 278 - as new or better.

The dormer caps looked like a project to begin a new day on, especially with an approaching happy hour . . . .

Respectfully,
    John
  • edited August 2014
    Heh John, wasn't that fun? It's look good, the flashings are better than I did. Keep on shaking, LOL.

Marty

I guess you Shelby be late with Shelby. Store until next year.
  • Hi John; I really like the way your shingles look. I'm sure with some variation of chalks it will look like the roof you want. Also in reference to nail holes I've found that the smallest hypodermic needle produces the tiniest of holes. They do have to be put in one at a time but the effect and finished look is hard to beat. Keep up the great work you have been doing.

dave
  • edited August 2014
    Hey John,

Apparently you like to see boxes. This box was still in its original shrink wrap, never opened. It is kit No. 173. Got it yesterday. Have to complete my present sawmill project first and then it is next on my agenda. Need to do a different type of project.

Steve
  • Nice score John and Steve...love the old classic stuff...

Ken
  • edited August 2014
    Dave, that is a great idea I will try for my next batch of nail holes. My tutoring was good for the ones I have but then I went too far and screwed them up. Oh well . . .

Marty, you are to generous in your flashing comments. I had all of the work the rest of you have done to guide me!

Steve, you have a winner - I did well and you win the prize! But I know where to get HO size Blue Sky!

I keep striking out with my cupola but finally have it beat and in place. How can something that small take me so long? Hopefully some more shingles tomorrow.

Ken, I'm pleased to see you continuing to look in on my baby size steps.

John
  • It looks like a quiet day on here, so here goes . . . .

After being away, then dinking around for a couple of weeks, a few minutes at a time and other projects as well, I got serious in the last couple of days with the cupola and the main roof.

While the glue was drying for cupola attachment to the roof it occurred to me that the lower perimeter frame to which the flashing would attach was done incorrectly. I had it flush with the vertical side wall planks, so there was not going to be any shedding of water when I attached flashing. Brett's photo is correct, I "saw" it but didn't "see" it. Soooo, apart it came - again . . . .

It sure looks nice when it is done correctly - RTFM . . . .

I am satisfied with the flashing fit for all the roof components. The color? Well, it has color . . . . I continue to be fascinated with how all of you state an objective and then color to realize it. I think I am following directions and end up with weird results. Maybe I could mimic a winter scene after it has just been snowing followed by acid rain.

Overall, I am pleased. Great fun. Thank you all for looking in and for your constructive comments. I have been reading forums for years and years, never inserted comments and certainly never posted. You are a GREAT group.

Respectfully,
    John
  • Wonderful... It all came together so nicely for you!
  • John, it looks good.

Don't worry about the grey, cedar goes that colour with age. Just tell the story of how the upper part of the roof got damaged by a bad storm/hurricane and was replaced.

Marty
  • Hey John, nicely done..and very satisfying to study and observe your work, see an error or an area for improvement, and make a nice fix! Really enjoy having you here on the forum as I'm sure everyone else is. Great progress...Ken
  • Thanks Marty & Brett. Don't you know I hard brushed it today with a stiff brush cut down to almost no bristle and was able to significantly diminish the white. I added some dry brushed 408.3 and that also reduced the snow storm. The shingles look pretty poor laying on the table but in mass on the roof I am satisfied. The lines for flashing/shingles are very pleasing to my eye. I began the caps today but ran afoul of happy hour. More tomorrow. I'm excited to be about to get into another stage . . .
  • edited August 2014
    Ken, as I finished typing to Brett & Marty I found you! I am very pleased you are watching and commenting. Thank you very much. You are among my heroes!
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Hi John,
    Great job on the roof. It looks terrific.
    Jim
  • John my friend that looks fantastic.

Im watching to see what you do next. Keep up the good work.
  • Thanks Jim & Wes,

It looks like a quiet day on here so I'm just throwing in the semi completion of the roof shingling minus the chimney & vents, etc. Pictures are brutal we all continually find out. I see an unseemly demarcation line in about three rows just below the cupola that I have not noticed by naked eye. I'll work out a repair. Up until seeing that I was pretty pleased with myself. I have beat the previous color extremities down a bit - I think.

Having benefited from Paul's build log I did facia and rafter tails before shingles. That was easy albeit a bit boring. Sorry Brett. Send the laziest man to do the most difficult job because he'll figure out an easy way to do it. So now I am complete and on to the next building attachment. Today I am studying the existing build logs for advices and doing it by enjoying a pleasant out of doors afternoon in the shade of my front porch with a suitable means of keeping my throat from parching.

For those of you who "collect" kits, my door was graced today with a rare out of production model in a sealed box. What fun!
  • John, Did you cut the long strips into smaller random strips before you applied them to the roof card?

Marty
  • Nope, I sure didn't Marty. I thought I was staggering but obviously not. Next time! I'll see if I can fix this now.

Thanks for that suggestion . . .
  • Great progress John. Post a few ground level shots. Your roof detail is coming together nicely. Well done.

What did you get??...sealed box!...

Ken
  • Shingle job looks great.
  • Thanks Bryan. I sure am enjoying your posts! I repaired the shingle problem just below the cupola and the shingling is satisfactory now.

Likewise Ken, I'm watching every day for your updates. Am I to believe you are a kit collector" also? . I envision a waterfront scene, on the idea of Brett's logging scenes. To that end I have managed to accumulate Blue Sky, Shelby and Foss. Brett said he could not do a small repeat run of them so I had to shop around. To those I have added Delwin's and this week I found Execution Rocks still sealed.

During the past couple of days I have finished and attached the warehouse. The roof is unattached at this point. I took literary license and overlapped the front side planking rather than use a square vertical corner piece as instructed.

So far, so good - I think . . .

John
  • Hey John, you are correct on the Karns kit procurement strategy! I am collecting SierraWest Scale Model kits exclusively and am in need of only 3 to complete my collection. Then it's just keep up with Brett's production! I have two Deer Creek Mining Company kits pre-ordered and watching for the HO Scale Saw Mill that's in the works.

Wow! really nice John, the first picture is particularly nice. You're skill is evident and appreciating at the same rate as your build...well done. Ken
  • edited September 2014
    Are collecting to build or invest?
  • Marty...Oh, by all means...build! My goal is to have a completed Diorama of each and every SierraWest Scale Model kit produced. I'm working on the re-modeling plans of a room to house the collection. My biggest logistic issue is I'd like to keep all of them under glass, lighted and visible. The reason for the pre-order of two Deer Creek Mining Company kits is I would like to also use one in a railroad layout scene.
  • Sounds too cool to be true, but I believe you.
  • I believe all Shipyard fans will love this film of wooden shipbuilding in Essex:

https://archive.org/details/gov.archives.arc.49150

Respectfully,
    John