visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply

Comments

• Ah...your way ahead of us Dave, good for you on both fronts. Ken
  • Ken, you are way too kind. Doubt if I will live long enough to be ahead of you guys, much less way ahead. LOL

Dave
  • Dave, my apologies for not answering your question sooner, I somehow missed it.

The sprigs that you were referring too are from an item I found at Michaels. It is a miniature "witches" type broom. I really like the bristles because they have small branches protruding from them. This gives them an extra layer of depth for certain applications.
    To plant them I simply poke a hole in the scenery base with a nail, grab a pinch of the bristles and stick them in.
    Two things I personally do to improve their appearance is a) make sure that the bristles are different lengths to avoid that "flat top" look and 2) make the hole twice the size that is needed so that I can spread out the base and avoid a perfect "V" shape.

When scratch building I cut all my , shingles, clapboards, corrugated, tarpaper on a paper cutter. I have several of those 99c plastic "forsale" signs from walmart.
    On the back of them they are marked with different increments for each one, 6", 9", 12", 3' etc for the common requirements.
    I simply double tape the required sheet to the papercutter bed. Then move the stock down the incremental lines as I cut.

You have been making some fantastic progress, it is terrific to watch it all coming together.

Karl.A

• Dave,

Well now I see why you have been out of sight for a couple of weeks. I'm intrigued to see it coming together. A lesson to me is how much work you put into the stone face and now that it has been integrated into the entire set of structures, it fades away a little bit. The roof is magnificent in concept. Can you post a couple of progress photos on exactly how you did it?

John
  • Karl, so glad to hear from you. You have been awol too long. Many thanks for the answer to my question. And many more thanks for the info on using the paper cutter. Now I know how to do it Sounds like it will make future shingles neater, and probably easier to uae. Thanks for the good words. Closing in on this one, I think. Need LP's, and have some in the mail that I think will work well for this build. Still have some small things to do, and touch up. Soon, I hope. Have several other Sierra West kits on the shelf that I want to get to.

John, your comments about the stone work points up what many have said in other builds. Treat each item as a separate model putting everything you can into just that part. Then when it all comes together, Voila, the blending makes it look so good. This is probably the most important point I have learned doing this kit. As far as the roof, I am guessing you are refering to the cedar roof? I will try to get some pics of the process as I am still putting shingles on the rear section. This process will reveal a big secret and after I reveal it I may have to eliminate you. LOL! Seriously, I decided to use a piece of clapboard siding by Plastruc that I had. the spacing is 8 scale inches and is an acceptable spacing, and the ridges make it easy to place the shingles. More when I get some pics to show the process. Happy to have you stop by.

Dave
  • John, ok, here goes. Hope this all comes out clearer than mud.

I use a micro brush to apply Elmer's Wood Glue. I use this because it doesn't set up that fast. What you see here is applying glue for two rows of shingles.

I then use a #ll blade to "stab" a shingle.

Use the Xacto knife to place the shingle in place, hold the shingle in place with something with a small, round point. Here I'm using a tweezer with the points held together with a rubber band. While holding with the tweezer remove the knife blade. And repeat until you have covered the glue you laid down.

After I complete a row I use a finger to roll from the top down to set the shingles. Make sure you wipe off any glue you may pick up on your finger before moving on down the row. Trust me, if you don't you will pick up shingles the next time you roll your finger.

This what the two rows I began for this tutorial looked like after I "rolled" those two rows down.

I went ahead and finished another two rows, and this is where I am on the rear roof. I did take a pic of the tools I use, I had them all laid out and arranged just right. Forgot to download the dang thing. Sorry. Any questions/corrections please ask/comment. I do hope this helps.

Dave
  • Oops! Just read through this and found a couple of items I forgot to mention.

1. After I apply the glue with the micro brush I drop it into a shot glass filled with water. this keeps it usable. Be sure to dry it off before you use it the next time.

2. I do not roll each row down, I wait until all the glue I laid down is covered with shingles and then roll them.

Sorry
    Dave
  • Dave,

That's what I need - THANK YOU !

Respectfully,
    John
  • Feedback please. Here is the finished (?) roof for the side building

Thanks

Dave
  • I think with some overall blending with chalks it will look good Dave, individual shingles always take some work but look great when done right.

Karl.A
  • Dave,

That looks fantastic. What do you feel like you want to modify?

Respectfully,
    John
  • Karl, thanks.
    John, I don't like the cap shingles. I think I can do better. I think they should come to more of a peak than just the rounded cap as in the photos. I have been experimenting around a little and think I have come up with a solution. More on that later.

Thanks guys

Dave
  • Hey there, I'm back after what seems ages. Got almost all the rods done and shipped. Got back to Scotia for a couple of hours today. The first hour was spent evaluating what I had done and what was left to do. Now if I can remember how to post pics. I shall give y'all an update.

My biggest concern is the weathering on the roof. Feedback is much appreciated. Made the outside lights tonight plus the pole light which will be planted at the corner of the diorama with clearance for the trackage. Still have to put a dab of rust on the NBW;s at the ends of the anchor lines for the larger vent. More to come in a day or two.

Dave
  • Dave, I'm just catching up after a month away - fabulous work! I am motivated to try your shingling on one of my smaller buildings. You sure are coming along well. Thank you for sharing your work and excellent pictures.

Respectfully,
    John
  • Hey Dave, All right!...we got some updates on Scotia. Great progress, love the shot of the roof with the vent stacks and the final, really nicely weathered and colors look fabulous. The roof patch looks great as does the subtile soot and rust streaking. I would consider a re-work on the weathering of the drums outside the side building. Your base color looks great but not sure about the splotches of the brown color which looks like paint. Rather than the paint I would try some chalks to "dirty" and rust them up a bit after the color is applied. If you primed them before the color which you should (flat black), you can scratch up the color coat carefully to simulate scratches and wear then apply the chalks (rust/grime shades). This is well detailed in Brett's manual and in a few threads here, but worth repeating.

Great stuff Dave, and I would expect some night photos with your Scotia lit up. Thanks for catching us up. Ken
  • John, thanks for the favorable comments. Glad to be back to work on this. Need to finish it up so I can move on to another project.

Ken, so glad you stopped by. Appreciate the comments on the roof. Have been concerned about the weathering. Thanks for the suggestions on the barrels. What you are referring to as "paint" was supposed to be rust. Guess it didn't come across as such. Must try to work on that.

Dave
  • Dave, just a thought previously. Right, I would try using the chalks to get the rust effect rather than paint. The chalks will give you that all important texture and depth, your awesome roof illustrates that real well! Ken
  • Hi Dave,
    I'm just catching up here. Everything looks great. Keep up the good work.

Michael
  • Ken, thanks for the kind words. Makes me feel much better about the roof. Will try to get some chalk on those barrels. Will be somewhat difficult for me, though. They are fastened down. But I shall try.

Michael, appreciate the comment. Welcome and stick around. The build is almost complete. I would love to complete it this week as I have another project waiting. All I have to do is to decide what it will be. So many kits, so little time.

Dave
  • This really came out well Dave, nice work all around. Ken gives some good advice on the roof.

Karl.A
  • Love your work Dave. Great to see you posting again.
  • I suppose everyone has been thinking I've gone underground or skipped the country. Not so. Been busy with a lot of piddlin' stuff, Some railroad related, some not. Anyway, I have been working on Scotia, teeny bits at a time. The sign is up and looks pretty good to me. All other details on building proper are done. Structure weathering is finished, I think. The biggest chore has been the scenery. Found some stuff while re-doing my backyard that caught my eye immediately and I set it aside. More on that at a later date. Spent most of today applying scenic accents, got ready to take some pics of all the new stuff, camera batt. dead. It is in charger as I type and tomorrow I shall take the pics outside and post them for all to critique. Have dragged this project out way too long. So, 'til tomorrow.

Dave
  • Dave ! It's great to have an update post from you on this project.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the pics in the next day or two and alse hearing about
    your 'find' in the garden, everything was looking terrific earlier in the thread, cant
    wait to see the update.

Good to see your post.
    Karl.A
  • Dave, good news...can't wait to see this piece almost done! Thanks for the update and we'll be watching...Ken
  • Dave,

Tease us with a picture or two, please.

John
  • As a new member of the forum, I just spent my lunch hour reviewing your build from start to finish. I'm exhausted!!! I really learned a lot and I'm impressed with the amount of support you received on the build. Great job and great tenacity!!
  • Karl, thanks so much for stopping by.

John, 'fraid I'm gonna teas you some more, sorry, not intentional.

KCSTrains, Thanks a lot for your comments. Never been called tenacious, but I like it. You are correct that I have received so much support and good advice on this forum. It's the best.

Now for the real reason for this post. I'm currently having difficulty with the site I use to resize my photos. I am in contact with them and hope to get problem solved soon. When it is I will post the new pics. Sorry for the delay.

David
  • Well, here goes nuttin', I'm trying a new photo editor that I found. If this works the rest of the pics will follow.

• Here are all the photos. Please scrutinize closely and make whatever criticisms and/or suggestions you have. There are some more small details that I plan to add, such as newspapers, paper scraps, perhaps a little more foliage. Other than that I am calling this one done, finally. Now on to the next one. Brett's kits have certainly made me really think about what is going on in a scene plus I am now more observant in the real world. Thanks to all you guys for your advice and suggestions and help through this build. Been a lot of fun.

Dave

• David,

I like it and I think you did a good job with the extra scenery. The tree in the back is great. What is it? Also, what did you use for the climbing vines? I like that too. You do need to add one final thing - people!! It really adds to the scene. What is your next project?

Phil